Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Jaymz and Tamlyn - the knees are much better, especially after a day off. And yes, those 10/12 rehearsal days are very long. Fortunately this theatre's contract with Actors Equity limits the number of 10/12 days to two; my last show (on Broadway) had two solid weeks of 10/12 days.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Jaymz and Tamlyn - the knees are much better, especially after a day off. And yes, those 10/12 rehearsal days are very long. Fortunately this theatre's contract with Actors Equity limits the number of 10/12 days to two; my last show (on Broadway) had two solid weeks of 10/12 days.

Oh, wow! Even when I was in good health, two solid weeks of 10/12 days would have totally flattened me. Stage actors clearly have to have massive stamina.

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
Eeek three weeks into June. A quick update:

[X] Finish Re-write of Ch1 novel
[ ] Complete edit of Act 1 novel - almost there.
[X] Brainstorm four new scenes
[ ] Two Blog Posts
[ ] Read 2 books - 1 down

Need to do a blog post but have nothing to write about. Will think of something.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow! Even when I was in good health, two solid weeks of 10/12 days would have totally flattened me. Stage actors clearly have to have massive stamina.

Most of the time is spent waiting around in costume - sometimes sitting backstage, sometimes standing on the set while lighting cues are being built. It's exhausting because it's so tedious. Later on, when the show is in previews, you can still be called to rehearse up to five hours a day, depending on the union contract. Once the show has had its official opening, the schedule eases considerably (and that's when a lot of actors - and crew - get sick, because they're so worn out).

Dreamsage

Registered
Reaction score
Updating goals!

[] Find a paid internship a part-time job (priorities change... long story. It involves strikes and occupations of my school, loss of midterm exams, a change of said school into university, a series of unfortunate interviews, my perfectionism slowing my bachelor thesis down to death, a general lack of knowledge about the parameters of my future, and 6 months of trying hard af yet not actually doing something with my life. I may write a story about it, if it has a happy end)
[] Rewrite ALL of my comic! I've finished all 5 chapters, now I just need to polish them to death :p
[X] Find someone who wishes to review all that I've written and help me make the story publishable.
[] Read the two books I've borrowed from the library.

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
[18/30k] Write 30k
[ ] Finish Divide draft. Use editing Pomodoros!
[ ] Be ready to quick-draft Leviathan book over CampNaNo July.
[ ] Beta Read #1 - for J
[ ] Beta Read #2 - for T
[2.6lbs/4] Health: Lose five four pounds by keeping up spinning, roller derby, and walking 10k most days.
[ ] Roller Derby: Figure out crossovers.
[ ] Roller Derby: Increase one-foot glide to a complete lap
[ ] Create art
[7/6] Read 6 books... and actually finish some of these inprog ones, jeez.
X Angel's Blood
X The Legend of Drizzt [audiobook]
X Anatomy of a Story
X The Sketchbook of Loish
X To Kill A Kingdom (killer siren YA!)
X Romancing the Beat
X Simon VS the Homo Sapiens Agenda
Inside of a Dog [inprog]
Mothership [inprog]
Vox Machina [graphic novel]
The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea #2)
The Farthest Shore (Earthsea #3)
Ancillery Justice or Ninefox Gambit
Save the Cat [reread]

Last edited:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, it's Saturday. Someone stole another week of the month.

Finished New York 2140. Enjoyed it a lot but can see why other people might hate it. It's definitely an ambling story about the world, rather than about the characters. It was also fat enough it more than makes up for the thin books I've read/am reading this month :p

Started on Raven Stratagem by Yoon Ha Lee. I loved the first one, and I think I'll love this one as well (still sad about some stuff that happened though). Unfortunately, it's an ebook, and I don't have a proper ebook reader. I read on my little tablet-laptop hybrid, which is fine, except that I read at night for a bit so I'm not looking at computer screens right up to sleep. So I'm also back to reading a D&D source book for that.

Will definitely not read 6 books in the next week. That's okay. I'm still reading more.

1. Read ten books. 4/10
2. Prepare for next game session. Perfect.
3. Edit some Marietta. Nope.
4. Min half hour reading a day. Yep :)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whole lot of nothing accomplished this week, due to rehearsals and previews for my show. Fortunately we open tonight, and then settle into something resembling a regular schedule - beginning with days off on Monday and Tuesday (hooray!). The knee is still a bit dicey, but improving in spite of repeated trips up and down stairs (something I'm not supposed to be doing, but sometimes there's just no other way to get from the dressing room to backstage, nor to and from my home's basement). Weight has yo-yo'd back up; I'll be working on getting it back down again and incorporating exercise back into my routine.

I finally got two cover designs for RAGIS, the next book in my series. Both were near-misses, so I'm waiting on a revised version. No proofreader edits yet.

A little more than halfway through my third book of the month, THE THINGS THEY CARRIED.

And needless to say, no writing accomplished. I plan to remedy that next week, too.

[ ] Write 10k fresh new words for Camp on my WIP (Book 5 of my fantasy series; starting count 14,158) - 15,526 out of 24,158
[ ] Review book cover designs for Book #4
[ ] Review proofreader edits for Book #4
[ ] Read 3 books - 2 of 3
[ ] Lose 3 more pounds - 0 of 3
[ ] Get 30 minutes of exercise 3 times a week:
Week 1 - 2 of 3
Week 2 - 0 of 3
Week 3 - 0 of 0
Week 4 -

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A reminder that the start of July Camp Nano is just a couple of weeks away! If you'd like to be included in an AW cabin, member CoffeeBeans has started a thread for that: AW Cabins for July Camp

Remember that you must create your Camp project before you can be invited into a Cabin. For more info, visit the Camp Nano website.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Mrsmig - yeah, hanging around waiting is far more tiring than being busy.

Dreamsage - sounds like a rough time. I hope things get better for you soon.

As for my goals, well, doing better than I anticipated. I actually managed to finish my SS:AMNG story completely. My first attempt at the pate de fruit did not set. :( But I'm going to try again before I write them off as a lost cause. I'm going to try the caramels again too. Never say die in the kitchen! *G* Still waiting on the additional yarn I need to finish the crocheted blanket, so it's kind of stalled at the moment. Hoping to get the first scene, if not the first two scenes of Crystal Throne done this coming week, which will round out the month nicely. :)

[X] work on SS:AMNG story – (word count 12,901/10,000) Completely finished! Ahead of schedule too, I might add.
[ ] start The Crystal Throne (this is going to be a LONG story for me – will likely be on my goals for the rest of the year) – I have two lines written, does that count as starting? *g*
[X] finish short story
[ ] finish crocheted blanket – 16 more rounds to do
[X] attempt to make pate de fruits and soft caramels - attempted both - failed at both. :cry: But I'll be trying again.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I had a relatively productive weekend. Just, not on anything listed here :tongue

[ ] Go through my kick-knacks for stuff I can give away
[ ] Give away the give-away pile
[X] Pick book club selection
[-] Read book club selection The Little Paris Bookshop by Nine George
[X] Finish reading Coyote Kings
[-] Pull together draft of short story for next Alphabet Anthology and finish
[ ] Pull together draft of a different short story and finish
[X] Edit every day: Week 22 (June portion)
[X] Edit every day: Week 23
[X] Edit every day: Week 24
[X] Edit every day: Week 25
[ ] Edit every day: Week 26

Dreamsage

Registered
Reaction score
Dreamsage - sounds like a rough time. I hope things get better for you soon.

Thank you so much Jaymz! I've been at "this-sh*t-won't-break-me" mode for some time. Thankfully, things are improving this week!

Good luck with your pate, by the way :)

[X] Find a part-time job (I think I did... nothing is certain until the day I actually get paid)
[3/5 chapters] Rewrite ALL of my comic!
[X] Find someone who wishes to review all that I've written and help me make the story publishable.
[] Read the two books I've borrowed from the library.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's the last day of the month, y'all!

June was not nearly as productive as I'd hoped. Although I did get some writing done, I fell well short of my 10k goal. I am still waiting on cover revisions and proofreader edits for Book 4, but that's on my publisher, not me. The exercise thing was a bust because of knee issues, and that impacted the weight loss (I yo-yo'd back and forth all month, and ended up only a half-pound lower today than I was on June 1st).

I completed one goal: I got my requisite three books read.

So overall - a disappointing and somewhat trying month. I've resolved to do better in July. I'm off to start our next monthly thread, which is open to everyone - July Campers and those not camping as well.

[ ] Write 10k fresh new words for Camp on my WIP (Book 5 of my fantasy series; starting count 14,158) - 15,745 out of 24,158
[ ] Review book cover designs for Book #4 still waiting on publisher
[ ] Review proofreader edits for Book #4 still waiting on publisher
[x] Read 3 books - 2 of 3
[ ] Lose 3 more pounds - .5 of 3
[ ] Get 30 minutes of exercise 3 times a week:
Week 1 - 2 of 3
Week 2 - 0 of 3
Week 3 - 0 of 0
Week 4 - 0 of 0

Speaking of July Camp NaNo, there's still room in AW's cabin if anyone is interested: AW Cabins for July Camp

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I was so busy I was unable to come in here and update. Anyhoo, here's how it went:

[x] 2nd round edits on secret project ~All but the last 10 pages, so I'm calling it a win
[ ] Oubliette words Nope. :(
[x] Progress on big editing project (minimum 20 pages) ~DONE.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Final update. I failed half my goals!

I planned to do more reading on Saturday and maybe finish up Raven Strategem but the day suddenly turned out very full so that didn't happen. At least one of my four books was really fat? :p

Did some game planning over all, but way more map making. Didn't edit, did read.

This was a break month though, so even though there is red fails, I'm still happy. I definitely had a break. Now, hopefully, I am refreshed going into July. (I feel refreshed but that might last until I try to write.)

1. Read ten books. 4/10
2. Prepare for next game session. Perfect.
3. Edit some Marietta. Nope.
4. Min half hour reading a day. Yep.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I can't believe the month is over already.

So-so for this month. Still carrying over the same items, though. Next month I need to check some of these off.

[ ] Go through my kick-knacks for stuff I can give away
[ ] Give away the give-away pile
[X] Pick book club selection
[X] Read book club selection The Little Paris Bookshop by Nine George
[X] Finish reading Coyote Kings
[-] Pull together draft of short story for next Alphabet Anthology and finish
[ ] Pull together draft of a different short story and finish
[X] Edit every day: Week 22 (June portion)
[X] Edit every day: Week 23
[X] Edit every day: Week 24
[X] Edit every day: Week 25
[X] Edit every day: Week 26

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I am so behind I missed that we're in July :cry:

My final update:
[X] Finish Re-write of Ch1 novel
[ ] Complete edit of Act 1 novel - almost there.
[X] Brainstorm four new scenes
[ ] Two Blog Posts
[X] Read 2 books

About half accomplished. My motivation takes a nosedive in winter. Into July...

Status
Not open for further replies.