Absolute Write keeps crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clovitide

Registered
Reaction score
Absolute Write keeps crashing on me. I noticed it today and yesterday, but today it’s pretty bad. I don’t know if this is happening to everyone. The page keeps loading, then my computer gives me that pop: ‘one or more programs has failed to load, what do you want to do? Terminate or Wait?’ So I terminate it.

I can scroll and flip between tabs to my other working websites, but Absolute won’t let me click on any links inside it. It’s only happening on Absolute. Is there anyway to fix it?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Absolute Write keeps crashing on me. I noticed it today and yesterday, but today it’s pretty bad. I don’t know if this is happening to everyone. The page keeps loading, then my computer gives me that pop: ‘one or more programs has failed to load, what do you want to do? Terminate or Wait?’ So I terminate it.

I can scroll and flip between tabs to my other working websites, but Absolute won’t let me click on any links inside it. It’s only happening on Absolute. Is there anyway to fix it?

It's almost certainly a local problem. There are currently over 900 users on the forums, another couple hundred spiders/bots, and 128 people on the AW Website.

What OS and Web browser are you using?

Have you tried logging off
Deleting cookies
Clearing your cache
Completely quitting your browser, shutting down all browser windows, and logging back on?

Clovitide

Registered
Reaction score
It's almost certainly a local problem. There are currently over 900 users on the forums, another couple hundred spiders/bots, and 128 people on the AW Website.

What OS and Web browser are you using?

Have you tried logging off
Deleting cookies
Clearing your cache
Completely quitting your browser, shutting down all browser windows, and logging back on?

Running Windows 10 on Chrome.

I cleared my cookies of just this site before asking the question, but I'll clear my cache and everything else as well. It was a pretty hefty number, anyway. I'll play around on the forums to see if that fixed it, fingers crossed.

Clovitide

Registered
Reaction score
There was a little lag getting on this morning, but it works fine right now. I guess something up there had to have worked. Thanks!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
It keeps freezing up on me, too. I am also on Chrome. (but Mac)

I've been having problems the past two days with AW freezing up too. (Windows ??? and Chrome) I've cleared cookies and caches, and I suspect it's related to this ad:
1OJSDsI.png

Every time it comes up, my page breaks, one way or another. Freezes movement (I can scroll the page but can't click anything or leave the page without shutting the page entirely. This is how I've figured out this is the ad that breaks things), runs a script that can't load, or crashes entirely. Not sure if it's anything you guys can do since I think it's a google ad, though. Not like you can even tell what the ad's for.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've been having problems the past two days with AW freezing up too. (Windows ??? and Chrome) I've cleared cookies and caches, and I suspect it's related to this ad:
1OJSDsI.png

Every time it comes up, my page breaks, one way or another. Freezes movement (I can scroll the page but can't click anything or leave the page without shutting the page entirely. This is how I've figured out this is the ad that breaks things), runs a script that can't load, or crashes entirely. Not sure if it's anything you guys can do since I think it's a google ad, though. Not like you can even tell what the ad's for.

Yeah, that's not something we do; it's Google. I suspect it's a bad player and attempting to serve a video ad, which I've blocked at the server level as well as forbidding them on Google's settings.

ipsbishop

Registered
Reaction score
Website
toolsonlinenovel.blogspot.com
I've had the same problem. Windows/Chrome in the past couple days. The Chrome page swells to 600K and it keeps try to load and my CPU use jumps to 100%. I have to shut down Chrome and restart. Sometimes it can happen multiple times before it clears. As I write it's 90k which is average-ish. It acts like something huge is trying to load.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've noticed AW has been intermittently laggy for me lately, and I use Mozilla. By laggy, I mean pages sometimes take a while to load, posts take a while to pop up after I hit post, or I'll have episodes when what I am typing takes a while to appear on the screen (leading to many typos that have to be fixed later--amazing how much I rely on visual feedback on the screen to type accurately and correct my keystrokes).

I haven't had crashes, though. Sometimes closing extra browser windows, or closing and reopening my browser window helps, though that can be an issue if I'm in the middle of typing a post. Sometimes copying and saving doesn't work when it gets like this.

I've gotten a new computer recently, so I was wondering if it was a Windows 10/Firefox issue, though I haven't noticed this on other websites. AW is working great for me at the moment, though. Maybe there are periods of especially heavy usage that are causing this.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We're having a lot of issues with bots attempting to register; I took AW offline briefly Sunday to do some housekeeping.

Restarted the server again on Wednesday, but it wasn't offline for even ten minutes.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
First off, I don't use Firefox and know nuthin' about it.

So, for those of you experiencing this problem on Windows or other OS and using Chrome: what version of Chrome are you using and is it the latest version?

I'm not having the problem in question and I'm on Windows 10. My current Chrome version: 67.0.3396.62 (Official Build) (64-bit) (cohort: 67_win_62). This is the latest version, btw. <--You can type chrome://version in your address bar, then check the link I gave to verify your version on Windows, Android, MacOS, Linux, and iOS is the latest.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried with Chrome, Firefox and Safari on Windows, iOS, Android and OS X in various flavors, and a Chromebook.

I'm not having the issue. I'm not blocking ads. I haven't seen the ad Maggie helpfully posted, but yesterday afternoon I asked Google to remove the ad in question from the AW Ad queue.

I don't know if that is in fact the issue. I suspect it might be.

Local, by the way, means it's happening on individual users' OS, hardware and network, rather than on the server.

Ads are inserted locally, at the point the users' browsers display the page. I'm hoping that by blocking this ad that I've found the problem.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've been getting the same issue with Chrome, but not today I don't think?

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Ha! I was trying to post that I hadn't had a problem in the past few days, but it froze on me as I was typing. I've had it freeze on me maybe one other time either yesterday or today, but I'm definitely noticing improvement. I'm on Mac OS X and Chrome 66.0.3359.181 (which appears not to be the latest version?).

Status
Not open for further replies.