Where is Melania?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
It's dawned on a lot of people that the First Lady is MIA.

Now, when she first went into hospital, it didn't seem too suspicious. Illnesses can come up suddenly and it's not necessary for the First Lady to share all the gory details of, say, a colonscopy. But she spent a long time in hospital, and hasn't been seen in public since her discharge.

To give things a creepy tone (which he excels at), when Trump was asked on the White House grounds where she was, he pointed to a window and claimed she was looking out at them. Reporters believe the window was empty - at least no sight of Melania.

Various theories have come up. The most obvious one is that she's had it with Trump, with the Stormy Daniels situation, with a life she never wanted, and has gone back to live in New York, leaving Trump to come up with his own explanation for where she is. A more sinister one is that she received a beating at his hands (he surely would have been furious at her public friendliness with the Obamas). The "playing it day by day" sense that reporters are getting about her next appearance could well be because White House staff don't know exactly when she'll be presentable in public, let alone whether they can rely on her not to let that cat out of the bag.

I hate to be a conspiracy monger, but this whole thing feels odd. If it where Michelle Obama or one of the Bushes, I'd write it off as just a medical issue that lasted longer than expected. For Trump? The weirdest explanation is the most likely.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little uncomfortable about this topic, in part because when abused people are noticed by others, they tend to receive more abuse.

But I'm also aware that not saying something when potential abuse is suspected can allow the abuser to continue harming the victim(s).

And #45 has a history of psychological-social[/URL and [URL="https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/a-history-of-sex-and-abuse-in-the-trump-administration-w516979"]physical abuse.

With his history of abusing women I too wonder where she is, and if she's ok.

People are asking Where's Melania?

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I hope she's ok and that she's left him, but it could just be that her operation was more extensive than it was made out to be, and sometimes it takes a longer recovery period. She may feel not her best to be out in public.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
Listening to NPR and it said she tweeted(?) that she was fine and dandy and working hard in the white house for children etc... I too am pretty uncomfortable with assuming that he beat her. She just had surgery on her kidney, and while they say it was a minor thing, invasive surgery is never a minor thing. Making assumptions without any evidence to support it like that shouldn't be done.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Listening to NPR and it said she tweeted(?) that she was fine and dandy and working hard in the white house for children etc... I too am pretty uncomfortable with assuming that he beat her. She just had surgery on her kidney, and while they say it was a minor thing, invasive surgery is never a minor thing. Making assumptions without any evidence to support it like that shouldn't be done.

Yes; that's my issue. But I also know an awful lot of abused folk who I wish I'd known earlier were being abused.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly can't imagine he'd be arsed.

The main theory I've seen/heard is that she was getting cosmetic work done, and thus isn't going to pop up with a bruised face. That, and the back-to-NY theory, which seems sound, but you'd think it'd be easy enough to suss out. Someone will spot the kid in the city, or her agents in TT.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's dawned on a lot of people that the First Lady is MIA.

Now, when she first went into hospital, it didn't seem too suspicious. Illnesses can come up suddenly and it's not necessary for the First Lady to share all the gory details of, say, a colonscopy. But she spent a long time in hospital, and hasn't been seen in public since her discharge.

To give things a creepy tone (which he excels at), when Trump was asked on the White House grounds where she was, he pointed to a window and claimed she was looking out at them. Reporters believe the window was empty - at least no sight of Melania.

Various theories have come up. The most obvious one is that she's had it with Trump, with the Stormy Daniels situation, with a life she never wanted, and has gone back to live in New York, leaving Trump to come up with his own explanation for where she is. A more sinister one is that she received a beating at his hands (he surely would have been furious at her public friendliness with the Obamas). The "playing it day by day" sense that reporters are getting about her next appearance could well be because White House staff don't know exactly when she'll be presentable in public, let alone whether they can rely on her not to let that cat out of the bag.

I hate to be a conspiracy monger, but this whole thing feels odd. If it where Michelle Obama or one of the Bushes, I'd write it off as just a medical issue that lasted longer than expected. For Trump? The weirdest explanation is the most likely.

I'm a little uncomfortable about this topic, in part because when abused people are noticed by others, they tend to receive more abuse.

But I'm also aware that not saying something when potential abuse is suspected can allow the abuser to continue harming the victim(s).

And #45 has a history of psychological-social[/URL and [URL="https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/a-history-of-sex-and-abuse-in-the-trump-administration-w516979"]physical abuse.

With his history of abusing women I too wonder where she is, and if she's ok.

People are asking Where's Melania?

Where's Melania? Here's where. She's part of the 53 percent. That's where she is.

Where is Melania? A proud former resident of Birtherland, just like her hubby was and just because some of you have forgotten that doesn't mean all of us have followed suit.

I'm not sure where this "Melania-is-a-victim" narrative is coming from. Because she doesn't like holding Donald's sweaty piggy fingers? Because she gives him the stink eye when he's not looking? Because she didn't immediately move in to the White House and let Ivanka play de facto First Lady? Perhaps this is wishful thinking by liberals and feminists, but take the blinders off, folks. Work the list and between Melania, Ivanka, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Kelly Ann Conway, Hope Hicks, Omarosa Manigault and Betsy DeVos, shouldn't it be clear by now there are NO women inside the Trump Administration with any fucks to give for women outside of it?

Women do not work for a swine like Trump because they are going to soften him or influence him and certainly not because they're going to challenge him (ask Sally Yates how that worked out). They work for Trump to make him look good and as long as they do, they're useful. When they're not, they're gone.

So will Melania should she forget her place and get too uppity. Melania is not a victim. She's a participant. Perhaps not a happy one, but I've seen nothing to indicate she's being beaten, tormented or mistreated. She's a young woman from another country who came to this one (and greased the pathway for her parents to follow) to become a rich old fart's eye candy and bear him another son. Nobody ever said she had to actually love Donald Trump to become his wife.

Put aside the projection for a minute and see if she really stands up to critical appraisal.

Political chitchat repeats itself as reliably as history, so it was no surprise this week when online observers began, as they do every few months, to praise Melania Trump. The urge to cast Trump as some sort of “resistance” hero shows how desperate we are to see our own opinions reflected in someone so close to the president. At the same time, it lays bare our longing for the sort of first lady we’ve always felt entitled to.

The latest round of first lady fervor revolved around the administration’s inaugural state dinner, and it started with her hat. From there, the compliments multiplied. Her gown was glorious, her menu high-minded and, in a video that went viral, her refusal to hold her husband’s hand a symbol of rebellion. At least, that’s what her admirers had to say about it: The reaction provoked a split along the left side of the spectrum, with skeptics imploring progressives to stop glorifying presidential co-conspirators for meaningless gestures of independence.

Progressives have long projected our own assessments of President Trump onto anyone on the right who displays the slightest sign of dissent. But in Melania Trump’s case, the compulsion has an added dimension. Two narratives compete for our approval: In one, she is a prisoner in her own home, full of hate for her husband but powerless to do anything about it. In another, she’s still a prisoner — but she’s carrying out her own little “Shawshank Redemption,” getting the better of the commander in chief from the inside.

It’s no wonder, as Donald Trump’s tenure drags on, that we’re drawn more and more to the second narrative. Eager not to appear as if Trump has beaten us down, we want Melania Trump to display defiance along with us. Besides, we derive extra enjoyment from imagining the utter emasculation of a president whose own wife is scoffing at him behind the scenes. And because viewing her as a damsel in well-dressed distress stinks of sexism, looking at her as an undercover ally to the anti-Trump camp seems the preferred alternative, especially now that liberals have abandoned hope that Ivanka Trump would serve as their agent.

But Melania Trump’s mutiny in miniature, the way we conceive of it, is just that: miniature. The belief in a feminist Melania stems from a traditional understanding of how a lady — and, in particular, a first lady — should act. We may spin a story of Melania Trump as empowered, but in that tale she wields her power with womanly subtlety. Her supposed weapons of insurgency are hand-holding snubs (this isn’t the first time), unshared rides, torpedoed trips and cryptic tweets.

If these signs of marital discontent came from a man, few would notice at all, much less treat them as daring displays of defiance. But because they come from a woman, they have turned into just that. We don’t seem to expect Melania to actually do anything to counter her husband, like publicly oppose his policies or politics, or renounce her role in the birther crusade against Barack Obama, or — the seemingly unthinkable — divorce him.

All this is motivated by a familiar stereotype: As much as we want Melania to be a rebel, we want her to be the right kind. And that’s not only because she’s female, and because we’ve been trained to view women as more circumspect and less brash. It’s because, when it comes down to it, she’s in the East Wing representing our country, and a first lady is nothing if not ladylike. If we were really so ready to discard the conventional conception of the role as outmoded and misogynistic nonsense, we wouldn’t be gushing over her in haute couture Chanel, or even marveling at the opulence of the state dinner she planned in the first place.

Melania Trump is supposedly a highly educated woman. Good. That probably means she's read her hubby's most famous ghost-written book, The Art of the Deal and cut a nice one for herself. Melania is somebody's shero, but she's not mine.

Where is Melania? Right where she chose to be.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
So will Melania should she forget her place and get too uppity. Melania is not a victim. She's a participant. Perhaps not a happy one, but I've seen nothing to indicate she's being beaten, tormented or mistreated. She's a young woman from another country who came to this one (and greased the pathway for her parents to follow) to become a rich old fart's eye candy and bear him another son. Nobody ever said she had to actually love Donald Trump to become his wife.

Melania Trump is supposedly a highly educated woman. Good. That probably means she's read her hubby's most famous ghost-written book, The Art of the Deal and cut a nice one for herself. Melania is somebody's shero, but she's not mine.

+1

As Wife Number 3, there's no way in Heaven, Hell, or God's green Earth that she didn't know what sty she was lying down in. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he were psychologically abusive at the least... but nobody can save a body but themselves, and I've seen no indication that she finds the stink of the sty worse than whatever benefits she finds buried in the muck.

Not buying into this conspiracy of her disappearance, myself. She's loyal to the brand, so there's no reason for her to have run or them to have "hidden" her - and if she is in NYC, it's not the first time she's chosen to live away from him, nor is it any of my business.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Where's Melania? Here's where. She's part of the 53 percent. That's where she is.

Where is Melania? A proud former resident of Birtherland, just like her hubby was and just because some of you have forgotten that doesn't mean all of us have followed suit.

I'm not sure where this "Melania-is-a-victim" narrative is coming from. Because she doesn't like holding Donald's sweaty piggy fingers? Because she gives him the stink eye when he's not looking? Because she didn't immediately move in to the White House and let Ivanka play de facto First Lady? Perhaps this is wishful thinking by liberals and feminists, but take the blinders off, folks. Work the list and between Melania, Ivanka, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Kelly Ann Conway, Hope Hicks, Omarosa Manigault and Betsy DeVos, shouldn't it be clear by now there are NO women inside the Trump Administration with any fucks to give for women outside of it?

Women do not work for a swine like Trump because they are going to soften him or influence him and certainly not because they're going to challenge him (ask Sally Yates how that worked out). They work for Trump to make him look good and as long as they do, they're useful. When they're not, they're gone.

Put aside the projection for a minute and see if she really stands up to critical appraisal.

I am confused by the language in that last quote. How is it a "progressive" position to project some sort of admiration field onto Mrs. Trump?

I consider myself a lifelong progressive, from a long line of progressives, and I have never thought her anything but a collaborator.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I've also been wondering where Melania is, especially after she didn't show up at the health and fitness WH event. On the one hand, it's clear she and trump are estranged and maybe she's not willing to play wifey anymore. OTOH---I once had a kidney procedure that the doctors shrug off as minor but which caused me months of agony. Maybe she's unwell.

Unweller. No one married to that nazi-loving white supremacist moron could be wholly well.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Melania is in the same category as a Honduran woman terrorized by ICE. But I also think she's a human being, and if Trump has injured her, he should be hung out to dry for that as well as his multiple other sins and crimes.

Yesterday, in an attempt to play "Nothing to see here, move right along," there was a tweet on her official account that said she was safe, well and working on First Lady stuff. Except it's well-known that the account is managed for her. There was no picture (helpfully including a copy of the day's newspaper in the background). And the phrasing was eerily that of The Donald himself, starting off with a dig that the press was "working overtime" to cause scandal.

It may be nothing - she's just taking longer to get over an operation than expected. But if it is, the WH staff, is being outrageously clumsy and *making it look* as if something is up. Surely any good PR person could provide even a brief video. And if nothing else, tell the President of the United States to not point at an empty window and insist that he could see Melania standing there.

An open admission that "Mrs Trump is still not feeling up to public appearances. Please keep her in your thoughts," would hardly cause political fallout, so it's weird that they don't play that card. Either they're into nth-dimensional chess, where setting up a false mystery could be used to distract from real scandals, or they're really, really bad at making things look normal in Trumpland.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I get the impression her whole life as first lady can be summed up as "I didn't sign up for this BS." She married a creepy old man for his money (I assume. Certainly I have difficulty imagining anyone marrying him for his charming personality). OK, that makes me question her character and go "ick," but she's not the first trophy wife in the world and she won't be the last.

However, she signed up to be a rich private citizen in New York, not a high-ranking political figure in the public eye. If she wanted that sort of constant attention, she could have easily had it when her husband was on TV, but she chose to keep her private life fairly private. Now she has two choices.

1) Stay for the money and endure the publicity

2) Leave, I'd assume in the shadow of an ironclad prenup that will prevent her from enjoying the lavish lifestyle she sold her soul to enjoy, and get even MORE publicity by becoming the first woman to dump a sitting president.

She likes money and doesn't like publicity. Given those proclivities, option one is logically preferable in both categories.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This is taking a turn that isn't going to end well.

Status
Not open for further replies.