They haven't responded yet?

LadyRedRover

Registered
Reaction score
So, I sent a story out in March and the guidelines said they should have an answer for me by the end of May and, if not, I should inquire about it. The thing is, I'm not really sure how to do that? I mean, is it as simple as sending out an email saying, 'Hey, what's the word on my story?' or is there a particular procedure involved?

Any advice? Also, is the fact that they've had it so long a good sign, a bad sign, or just one of those things?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Was it a short story or flash? If so, check their current times on the Submission Grinder. That's the best way to find out how long you have to wait or if your story might have gotten lost or is being held for consideration. If it was a novel, then wait until a little into June to prod.

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
So, I sent a story out in March and the guidelines said they should have an answer for me by the end of May and, if not, I should inquire about it. The thing is, I'm not really sure how to do that? I mean, is it as simple as sending out an email saying, 'Hey, what's the word on my story?' or is there a particular procedure involved?

Any advice? Also, is the fact that they've had it so long a good sign, a bad sign, or just one of those things?

After you've confirmed that their current response times justify contacting them (check for updated info on their site and social media in addition to Grinder, or Duotrope if you subscribe it) just try a simple email with the heading Query/"STORY TITLE" and say something like: Hello, Per your guidelines I'd appreciate any info you can provide on the status of my story "STORY TITLE" submitted on DATE.

If you submitted under a pseudonym include your byline as well as your name. Then be a little patient waiting for an answer because long response times often signal the editors are swamped with submissions.

Good luck!

LadyRedRover

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll :) It looks like they typically respond within 120 days instead of 90 so I'll just be patient until then.

In the meantime, back to writing I go! :e2writer: