ABC fires Roseanne after racist tweets. Cancels show.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tiffany Haddish says Roseanne's racism is nothing new:

I don't know if you know El Segundo [a coastal California town near LAX], but if you're black and you're driving through El Segundo, you're going to get pulled over. I used to visit my friend Anna there, and it got to a point where I was calling the police officers by name. One day, we were walking around the neighborhood, and Anna says, 'Oh, Roseanne lives there.' Now, I loved Roseanne, and the next day we walked by, and she was in her yard. I say, 'Hiiii, Roseanne.' She looks at me (makes a disgusted face), and ran in the house. I thought, 'Maybe she don't want to be bothered today.' A week later, we walk by again, and I told Anna — she's Hispanic, but she looks white — she should say hi this time. So she says, 'Hi, Roseanne,' and Roseanne goes, 'Hey!' I thought, 'Maybe she got to know us.' Then I go back, like, a week later, I wave again and say, 'Hi, Roseanne! I love your comedy,' and she (makes the same disgusted face) and turns her head. I think, 'F--- that b----.' That was 2000, maybe 2001, so it's not new. She been racist, why'd you all give her a TV show?"

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Ironically, the conservatives stole some of the more successful moves developed by the Left. One example would be the emphasis on fairness, rights, and justice. Even as they mock and discount those who embrace the concept as "social justice warriors" when it applies to the traditionally disenfranchised, they trumpet about being unable to practice their religion, or whine about how men are oppressed by feminism, or bitch about affirmative action being "racism" against whites. It evidently works. They've taken the more nuanced and context-specific concept of justice championed by the Left--one that takes history and existing inequalities into consideration--and replaced it with a flat, version that assumes the playing field is level. This appeals to those who are at the same cognitive level as children who ask why there's no "white history" month or why there's no international men's day or whatever.

This is something I think the left really needs to watch out for. There are some very smart (if nasty) people on the right, who are really good at causing distractions. For example, if people are talking about women's rights in America, they'll throw out "but you don't care about (insert black people, poor people, people in the third world)," and watch the left go haring off to prove that yes, they really DO care, while the original argument (which was quite legitimate) is forgotten.

I've seen this time and again. The Right are going to attempt to stir up racial, economic and social differences to the point that the left will spend more time attacking each other than they will working together to get something done. And they keep falling for it.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I've seen this time and again. The Right are going to attempt to stir up racial, economic and social differences to the point that the left will spend more time attacking each other than they will working together to get something done. And they keep falling for it.

Part of the problem is that the Democrats are the "everyone else" party. There are conservative Democrats and liberal Democrats, and the main thing unifying the party is the idea that government should actually work for the people instead of being starved in favor of corporations. This is a much fuzzier concept than "get rid of immigrants" and "abortion is bad" and "I should have a right to do whatever I want based on my religion."

It's very easy to get Democrats to start infighting, because there are a lot of things about which Democrats disagree. We see it as inclusiveness and nuance, and often it is; but in national elections it's a doomer because it's too easy for us to get distracted by which fork goes next to the plate instead of who's invited to dinner. If 25% of the people vote GOP and the other 75% are split among four different fork-placement coalitions, we lose. Every time.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Part of the problem is that the Democrats are the "everyone else" party. There are conservative Democrats and liberal Democrats, and the main thing unifying the party is the idea that government should actually work for the people instead of being starved in favor of corporations. This is a much fuzzier concept than "get rid of immigrants" and "abortion is bad" and "I should have a right to do whatever I want based on my religion."

It's very easy to get Democrats to start infighting, because there are a lot of things about which Democrats disagree. We see it as inclusiveness and nuance, and often it is; but in national elections it's a doomer because it's too easy for us to get distracted by which fork goes next to the plate instead of who's invited to dinner. If 25% of the people vote GOP and the other 75% are split among four different fork-placement coalitions, we lose. Every time.

Excellent points.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ABC to reboot Roseanne reboot without her :D

ABC plans an offshoot of Rosanne, The Conners

Less than a month after ABC canceled the hit revival of “Roseanne” because of a racist tweet by Ms. Barr, the network has decided to go forward with a spinoff that will not include her.

It appears a settlement was reached with Roseanne for the show to continue without her.

Before ABC approved the spinoff, Ms. Barr and Werner Entertainment agreed on a financial settlement, according to a person briefed on recent discussions, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe negotiations that took place among the star, producers and executives. That person would not reveal the sum of the payment.

Link-NYT

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
So weird, they already had to retcon killing off Dan, now I assume they're gonna have to kill off Roseanne too. I dunno, the revival was an odd thing to begin with, now they gotta rebrand and I'm not sure who the audience is expected to be. Only love for the rest of the cast, tho, so I'm not saying it's going to be bad.

I imagine the Connor's will start with Rosie's funeral. Love to see the eulogy: "She was an imperfect woman, but she loved playing Fortnite with her grandkids. And she died the way she lived, retweeting QAnon posts and comparing black people to apes." *respectful silence as her ashes are scattered over the basement of Comet Pizza*

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Could always write it as a divorce.

That would be where my money goes in a bet; leaves the door open for a cameo or return, which they wouldn't hesitate to do if they think they'll be rewarded with numbers and/or money.

Not that I intend to watch. I didn't watch the original show or the revival. Not my brand of humor, even without the stench of horrific racism.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, she went to visit a relative, just like the episode from the original.

Or she won the lottery and ditched them all (retcon the retcon).

Or she went nuts and ended up with Dan's mother.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
All good suggestions, but I've already submitting my pilot to the showrunners.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of killing her off, then it makes her a sympathetic character. It's not like the death of a character ends their run on shows.
Bobby Ewing, Dan Conners.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Most of my speculation on killing her off comes from the understanding that, in the last episode that aired, she was about to undergo surgery (what I read, I didn't watch the reboot). I keep being reminded of how they killed off Carla's husband on Cheers, tho I doubt they're going to be that irreverent about it. Divorce sounds like the most realistic option, but I just don't know what kind of footwork they need to make Roseanne to work w/o her.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The trouble with the divorce, is that the character is still around. She's the mom, the grandma, etc. SO, no hoiiday shows, family events, without her name at least coming out.
It does seem unlucky to kill her off. Certainly killing Dan didn't help the original version. Or the version after that.
I liked the original show, but after Dan left, I lost interest in the 'new' setup. And this one? I watched one episode. Meh.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
There's something oddly amusing about a bunch of writers nitpicking the potential continuity issues of a sitcom that has already fouled up its own timeline with writing and unwriting major character deaths. It clearly isn't a priority so far as scripts are concerned, here... They'll come up with some vaguely plausible reason she's not there, and if they don't ask questions about her absence in the show, odds are the majority of viewers won't, either. (Point at it, though, and even the average viewer will notice the hole.)

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Roseanne: Human Trainwreck

Remember Roseanne's half-assed, but totally insincere "apology" to Valerie Jarrett nobody believed? Turns out it was full-assed and totally insincere. :e2moon:

Roseanne Barr finally released her promised YouTube video explanation for her racist tweet about Valerie Jarrett. Barr's offensive remark — in which she compared the black former Obama aide to an "ape" — caused ABC to cancel the reboot of Roseanne after just one season, despite outstanding ratings.

In a short video, only a little over a minute long, the comedian is smoking a cigarette as a producer talks to her from off camera and tries to tell her to do the video as if it's a presidential address.

Visibly frustrated, Barr says she's trying to talk about the Iran deal and Valerie Jarrett, which she says was what her tweet was about, before looking right at the camera and screaming, "I thought the bitch was white!"

Barr's video was released 11 days after she initially said that she was planning on participating in a sit-down television interview.

"To my wonderful fans who I treasure and love-who have carried me these past weeks when I was 2 weak 2 carry myself: I will be doing a TV interview this week," she tweeted on July 8. "I’ll tell u about it tomorrow!"

However, Barr backtracked the next day, revealing that a TV interview wouldn't happen after all. "After a lot of thought, I decided that I won't be doing any TV interviews, too stressful & untrustworthy 4 me & my fans," she wrote on Twitter.

She continued, "I'm going to film it myself & post it on my youtube channel in the next week-the entire explanation of what happened & why! I love you all-sign up & get ready."

YouTube link (NSFW-duh!)

Wanna see what a racist asshole having a meltdown looks like? :rant: Probably a lot like this.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
Wow. She looked and acted like every meth user Ive ever met. Wish I could say I feel sorry for her, but she brings it on herself. How she could ever think that posting this on her youtube channel would be a good idea shows her poor decision making abilities. One day and nearly a quarter million viewers seeing you tweek online. Good job Rosie. Wow.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
She appears to be a very ill woman. It's unfortunate that when they were putting the show together, they didn't realize this.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She appears to be a very ill woman. It's unfortunate that when they were putting the show together, they didn't realize this.

Maybe ABC did realize this, but when did that ever get in the way of making money?

I have no way of knowing if Roseanne Barr is a very ill woman. I know beyond a doubt she is a stupid and a bigoted woman and if I'm supposed to feel sorry for her, I don't.

Mostly, I want to go back to ignoring her as the trash human being she's always been.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't watch shitshows and anyone on Hannity is part of a shitshow, but The Trump Whisperer had Roseanne "I'm Not Racist, I'm Just Nuts" Barr on for the entire hour of Must-Not-See-Trainwreck TV.

Let the poop fly!

There was a moment in Sean Hannity's interview tonight with Roseanne Barr when the two seemed like old friends. In defending her racist tweet—in which she called former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett an ape—Barr asked Hannity if he knew what it was like to be surrounded by people who think Trump is the worst thing that has happened to this country.

Every day, he replied—likely the one time in his life Hannity has said something even resembling the truth. "There are plenty of people who disagree with every word I say," he says. There they were: just two chummy racists, reveling in the masses of people they've offended, disgraced, and marginalized.

It was a rambling, unnecessary, and deeply pandering interview during which Hannity lobbed softball questions at Roseanne that are begged her to take the opportunity to redeem herself.

But she didn't.

At one point, Hannity gave her the chance to speak directly to Jarrett. This is what Barr had to say:

Let's talk about it. Let's really turn this into a teachable moment. We need to talk about race and everything that's connected to it. Including someone who looks like me—her skin tone looks like mine—I didn't know she was african american. I thought she was from Iran. And how she and Barack Obama hung out.
They don't like the idea of American exceptionalism. Okay that's fine. That's kind of a globalist way of thinking...

Wait ... what?

Here was Hannity handing Barr an opportunity to look good, and this is what she had to say?

And her core defense of the tweet is that it was not racial, it was political—a distinction that neither explains nor excuses what she said:

"The first thing was shock when they said it was racial when it was supposed to be political. Everyone started saying I was racist, which is the worst thing you can say to a jew especially one who grew up with to always fight extremism ... I took a vow with my god that I would always fight extremism."

By the end of the interview, Hannity was giving her ideas for a speaking tour and a stand-up comedy tour. And it's so clear of what the intentions of this interview are: to initiate Roseanne's eventual comeback as one of the few mainstream Trump-supporting entertainers, of which the right is desperate for.

Let's get something straight. If you say or do something racist as fuck and your best defense is to invoke your religion and your resume of fighting extremism, you aren't accomplishing anything except burying yourself even deeper in your own bullshit. There's been considerable speculation as regards her mental stability that Barr is a couple of fries short of a Happy Meal.

Sorry. Not buying that as an excuse. She's well enough to make millions off of being terminally unfunny, so she's well enough to be held accountable for her slurs against Valarie Jarrett.

This is a woman who desecrated the National Anthem in a way Colin Kaepernick never did. This is a woman with a history of comparing Black women to primates as when she said of Susan Rice she was "a man with big ape balls." This is a woman who hides behind her Jewish faith even as she demeans Jews by posing as Hitler taking Jew cookies out of the oven.

This is a woman to whom apologies mean nothing. This is a woman who hides behind her religion and gender and White privilege. This is a woman who takes zero responsibility and whines how you are being mean to her and you don't get the joke and you took it all wrong and you don't understand her. This is a woman who wants to always play the victim.

This is a woman whom Kitty Pryde of the X-Men had the perfect response to and one I wholeheartedly endorse.

Girl, bye!
:beam: