Not open for further replies.

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
Day 12
Words Written Today: 2,268
WIP Total Count: 65,113
Other WIP Count: 15,172

No new work, but i rewrote the first few pages of my finished manuscript so yay.

Anyways just a drive by cuz i've got to get going on some other stuff.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Kiethy, fantastic work - keep at it!

Way to go Daniel, crushing in in writing & self-care!

April - it's all for the tea. & Congrats on that solid advancement

TH - routines, ftw

Skara - sounds like a productive and insightful day!

Hey Ptero - nice going - and hope you get that gift, too :D

Nice work, Kay!

Day 12: Just a wee bit over a page :D :D

R/SC -bit o time at my wee garden, then back to the unhoarding - nuther tough one, but not as draining, got rid of some stuff, sorted others into manageable (and clearly labeled) piles for anther pass; Some brainstorming on a personal writing project; sorting thru to-do items;

$$ some brainstorming for a freelance project, got a flash of inspiration on how to make better use of my new workspace; typing practice; might do some other stuff, but I made my 3 so --

checking in, 3/3

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
It seems like half of the wife's family is in trouble of some sort at the moment so they needed some TLC and transportation. So no actual writing.

But, once home, I started planning chapter 4. The MC is in a medieval city, and although she's getting used to the smell, she's appalled how brutal and nasty life is there. Just imagine if someone from a few thousand years in the future in a place where there is no poverty or disease went back in time for a visit.

more swimming tomorrow

LadyRedRover

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! No writing for the last two days because I've just been physically and mentally exhausted. I managed to get 274 words today, despite wanting to sleep all day. Hopefully, I'll be back to full writing mojo tomorrow. I'm too tired to respond individually to everyone today, but know that I'm sending you all well wishes and good luck!

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Day 12: 2955.

I managed to edit as well, something I've been doing entirely this week and the latter part of last week. I'm nearly done the fourth draft of my "first" novel.

Also, had 0 cigarettes today. I'm doing it! :D

So sleepy now-- must dream away.

All the best to all of you!

:e2zzz:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Honk honk. Drive-by for me, folks.

Got most of the big edits finished yesterday, but I'm still struggling with the opening chapter. I've got two mornings left to do it (plus a proof), so... bye!

Day 12: Decent bit; 7.5 miles; unhelpful snooze

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Pterofan: 250 words is still good progress. Good luck with your deadline work - may the gods be generous with their gifts to you :)

KayMitch: All writing is rewriting - so, yeah, those words count!

Layla: That seems like a LOT of tasks... Are you sure you're working with the same 24 hours a day that we mere mortals have? :)

Keithy: Planning counts as solid progress - it makes way for future swimming. Good work!

LadyRed: Yeah, those days. You still got some writing done, so give yourself credit for that :) And probably get some sleep - you'll feel better afterward.

Daniel: Nearly 3k, lotsa editing, and no smoking - nice work :)

April: Unhelpful snooze? I say sue it! Congrats on the big edits! I'm sure you'll be able to sort the opening. Sending you good vibes :)

Taylor: I envy your early mornings ... and your 1k! You get to have a successful day right when it starts :) Keep up the good work.

As for me, I had a slow day trying to figure out the progression/structure of the main subplot. During the last fifteen minutes, though, an epiphany hit, and I realized what was wrong. So I guess that counts as success.

Swim, march, fly, whatever suits you, good people :) Keep writing.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello folks :e2coffee:

It’s good to see all of you doing so well. I know I haven’t been around here much. I’m going to make it official and bow out of the thread for a while; certainly the rest of this month and most likely July too. I might be back later in the summer, and I’m sure I’ll still be around AW and the Historical Fiction area of SYW (I'm about to post something there, unless I lose my nerve). But “write every day” is not a feasible goal right now, between work and some recent family-related developments. And I admit I’m finding it hard to cheer everyone on at a moment when my own goals are irritatingly out of reach. :(

I am sorry for that, and I do wish you all very well. I am glad to be a part of this little family and appreciate all the kind words and inspiration you’ve given.

Love and dirty martinis,
L.

Last edited:

TinaG

Registered
Reaction score
:cry: sigh and pout I understand but will miss you from my lurkers view. Best wishes love see you again soon.. I hope this little vacation does your spirit well. :Hug2:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 12 - ?

The "day job" ate up most of the day. Around 11 at night I got out a notebook and scribbled about 100 words of ... something. This is my default when I don't actually write: snippets of dialogue, story openings, flash scenes, anything so I can claim "I wrote today" with a clear conscience. Most of it's worthless, but sometimes I get ideas for future projects. No writing ever really goes to waste.

Today is turning into a repeat of yesterday, but the assignment goes back tomorrow. I'm planning to devote my weekend to writing and yard work.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honk honk. Drive-by for me, folks.

:hi:

Up at 5, just under 1000 words done!

Woah! I woke up at 11:20. I guess I'm officially a night-owl now.

Nicely done! 1000 is DEFINITE progress!

As for me, I had a slow day trying to figure out the progression/structure of the main subplot. During the last fifteen minutes, though, an epiphany hit, and I realized what was wrong. So I guess that counts as success.

Eureka!

:Trophy:

I’m going to make it official and bow out of the thread for a while; certainly the rest of this month and most likely July too. I might be back later in the summer, and I’m sure I’ll still be around AW and the Historical Fiction area of SYW (I'm about to post something there, unless I lose my nerve). But “write every day” is not a feasible goal right now, between work and some recent family-related developments. And I admit I’m finding it hard to cheer everyone on at a moment when my own goals are irritatingly out of reach. :(

I am sorry for that, and I do wish you all very well. I am glad to be a part of this little family and appreciate all the kind words and inspiration you’ve given.

Love and dirty martinis,
L.

:e2bummed:

Well, I'll still look, and comment, on your SYW pieces. Completely understandable-- life has to come first. Still, I'll be sad not to see your updates. :(

The "day job" ate up most of the day. Around 11 at night I got out a notebook and scribbled about 100 words of ... something. This is my default when I don't actually write: snippets of dialogue, story openings, flash scenes, anything so I can claim "I wrote today" with a clear conscience. Most of it's worthless, but sometimes I get ideas for future projects. No writing ever really goes to waste.

Today is turning into a repeat of yesterday, but the assignment goes back tomorrow. I'm planning to devote my weekend to writing and yard work.

Hey, that's still progress! I look forward to your weekend posts! I'm staying in as well! :hooray:

==​

As for me, I'm aiming for 5000 tonight. I'll have LOTS of tea to keep me going and I feel great. Only 2 pieces of nicotine gum today. I''m actually even beating the "quitting timeline." They want me to take months to get down on the gum and so forth. I want to be done with it by the end of summer. Then, when I go back to school, I'll be even better than before!

I like this quoting method to catch up on posts. I think I'll do it again. You are all winning writers in my book. You all shine like the stars you are! :TheWave:

Wish me luck. :cape:

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Keithy - getting writing in while Life… winning.

Lady - good to see you, glad you managed to get those words in

way to go Daniel - keeping at it :)

April - here's some energy & focus (((hugs))) for you to get that done.

NIce, Taylor, nice!! (& it's so light at 5:00 - I love this time of year)

Skara - congrats on that epiphany - and -yah, I got the 24 - but I am not doing earning service (I got no job - well, two 6 hour days on the weekend) so - this is the time for me to get that stuff done.
(PS - I do something called 'time-tracking' - you record what you do and how long it takes you. It's kind of hard for me because I often multi-task, so I track in 15-minute increments. It's a very interesting practice. The general discovery is that things that you thought would take forever are done guick, and things you thought you would take 'a few minutes', 'twenty minutes' what have you -- take a lot longer. I don't always do it, but when I observe myself to be wandering about, getting very little done, that that's the best time to be doing it. I'll find out that - oh, wait, I was actually being productive in those 15 minutes, and - a knock-on effect is that you get more focus and are able to take more actions. fwiw)

Lakey! good to see you! Do what you need to, writing will be there. & here's to you getting back to it soon.

PTero - that's really great that you managed to get some of your own writing in on a day that you did a lot of work writing.

Daniel - he he - "Keep Quitting, Daniel!" ;D & good luck w/ your writing tonite :)

Day 13
WIP: 1/2 page

R/SC - did a bit of weeding from two small piles of sentimental paper & more general tidying & sorting. Started a sewing project with some leftover material (I'm going to make a noren for my pantry) Dropped off an online return at the UPS.

$$: a bit of typing. & now I'm tiiiired.

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
Day 13
Words Written Today: 1,151
WIP Total Count: 65,113
Other WIP Count: 16,323

Some work done with my WIP and I've been doing a lot of thinking about my first chapter of my other finished ms, so that's nice. I'm sitting on that one for a few days first though to try and decide what I want to do with it.

As for other stuff done today. I wrote a crap ton for work, walked a dog for work, did laundry, and finally did the mess of dishes that had been sitting in my sink for what felt like forever. So very productive day. I also finally got almost 8 hours of sleep last night after almost a week of 2 hour nights. Yay insomnia~

Layla: Awesome work on a whole page of writing! And good job with the unhoarding, I had to make my boyfriend do that when he moved in with me XD

Keithy: I think planning counts as almost writing so good job! And family stuff gets in the way of writing sometimes, and that's alright.

LadyRed: 274 words is 274 more words written. That's great!

Daniel: WOW almsot 3k that's amazing! I'm really proud of you!

April: Opening chapters are my nightmare right now. The actual opening of the WIP I'm working on and the one I just finished are pretty great, but the ms I'm workshopping and querying for has a terrible opening chapter that I have rewritten at least a thousand times.

Taylor: I'm pretty sure just being up at 5 is an accomplishment let alone 1000 words! Great job!

SKara: planning is definitely still writing to me!

Ptero: 100 words of something can still be useful in the future. Since my WIP is actually a rewrite of a WIP I started awhile ago and lost interest in because of bad plotting, some of my writing is stealing words from the previous work.

Daniel: Good luck with the 5k goal. I bet you'll get there!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
SKara, I am feeling my way through my main plot as I go - an extent. It's good to find the way through the maze.
April - sending some swimmy magic - oh, first chapters can be horrible to get right.
KayMitch - I am almost reaching your heights of hard work... ish.
Layla - fishy smiles from me. I'm ignoring so many chores and the house/garden are getting in a mess.

And my swim swims today: 768 words. Shana is in the capital city and is supposed to stay put, but is bored and sneaks off to look around. She discovers that it is a horrible, stinky, brutal place.

I'm going to see Jurassic World 2 tomorrow, so perhaps my swimming will be limited.

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Damn, I'm wiped.

I tried so hard to meet that 5K goal, but I fell a bit short.

Day 13: 4321.

Still, progress nonetheless!

Night!

P.S. Still smoke free!

Last edited:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Toot toot, another drive-by for me I'm afraid. I'm really sorry I can't reply to everyone (again), but like Hamilton, I'm running out of time. I have *checks clock* half an hour to finish my proofing, before birthday celebrations and then holiday. I will miss you all while I'm away, and can't wait to see all your progress when I return.

Lakey: You've got to do what feels right for you. We'll sure miss you on the thread. Hope to see you soon :Hug2:

Day 13: Decent bit; 6 miles; pre-birthday prosecco

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Up at 5 again. Just under 1000 words. Maybe 700-800 if I’m eyeballing the page right..

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
Hello folks :e2coffee:

It’s good to see all of you doing so well. I know I haven’t been around here much. I’m going to make it official and bow out of the thread for a while; certainly the rest of this month and most likely July too. I might be back later in the summer, and I’m sure I’ll still be around AW and the Historical Fiction area of SYW (I'm about to post something there, unless I lose my nerve). But “write every day” is not a feasible goal right now, between work and some recent family-related developments. And I admit I’m finding it hard to cheer everyone on at a moment when my own goals are irritatingly out of reach. :(

Love and dirty martinis,
L.

Hi Lakey,

It's absolutely fine to take some time and recover while handling other things in your life. Threads like this are supposed to be a tool to help us do our jobs well, and they should be treated like that - rather than as an obligation.

So relax and take care of the things that demand your attention right now. Focus on those. No need to worry about goals and challenges - they have their uses, but it's better to be flexible and adapt to the circumstances, like you're doing. That said, I'll absolutely miss seeing your coffee hellos in this thread (love those!)
I look forward to your post in SYW! Take care of yourself :Hug2:

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
Hi again, lovely people!

Pterofan
: "No writing ever really goes to waste" - agree, I always find those snippets to be creative and useful. Hope the weekend goes well for you.

Daniel: 4321? You were almost there :) And nice job with the successfully going will-power challenge!

Layla: That's sounds like a very awareness-inducing practice - just what I need these days. I think I'm going to try it out and see what's up with my 24 hours and why they feel like they're 12. Well done on the steady writing though! I like the sound of your noren-sewing :)

KayMitch: The writing and the chores - congrats on that! And I'm really impressed with your 8 hours of sleep. I would kill to have that ...

Keithy: 768 is a nice word count! I hope Shana finds something interesting in the city; the only redeeming feature in a horrible, stinky, brutal place like this would be an adventure.

April: Happy birthday :partyguy: Hope your proofing went well and you got to enjoy the celebrations. Holiday after birthday? That sounds super fun! Looking forward to seeing you after you return :)

Taylor: You and Layla - you're both surprising people in different ways. Who wakes up at 5 and writes 1000 words every day? Apparently, you :) Keep it up.

For me, another slow day (also started very late). I spent about an hour trying to do the restructuring, but I still need to do some more thinking about it. Let's hope tomorrow is more productive.

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
KayMitch - Nice word count!

Layla - Clearing out clutter is alwaysh good for the headspace, I've found :D (I really need to clean my table >.>)

Keithy - Oh gods, I shudder at the thought. I couldn't live without indoor plumbing and proper baths. I hope things with your wife's family get better soon and good luck.

LadyRed - I feel you ;_; So much. That was basically me the entire month of May and part of April. Keep swimming and good luck!

Daniel - Awesome on both counts!

April - Grats on your edits and good luck hitting that deadline!

Taylor - Aw yeah, kick that word count's butt! Nice progress :D

Skara - Fingers crossed that tomorrow is more productive and that your brain box cooperates ^^

Really short update for me, mostly not about writing, believe it or not. I did manage to get another chapter and a half done in my notebook at work, but since I'm considering cutting a third of the first act anyway, I'm not sure if that's progress XD But I promised myself: no editing until the first act is drafted. Just keep swimming.

On a more personal note, I've decided to go completely grain free, due to health reasons. So kinda paleo, but with dairy. And I'll be getting my carbs through sweet potatoes and fruit from now on. Needless to say, I've gone 3 days with "paleo flu" that comes from when you do the thing and your body freaks out. Oddly enough, I have more energy to write, so I guess, even with the flu-like symptoms, this can only be a good thing, haha.

Keep trucking everyone and good luck!

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 13 - 375 words longhand. I jumped ahead and did a scene in one of the WIPs. Just sent the paid stuff back, so I should be off the clock until Monday. Writing and/or yard work, here I come!

Oh wait, I've got a library book due Saturday. I may have to read tonight and tomorrow. Poor me. ;)

(If anyone's wondering, it's Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. It's her take on the Harry Potter/Chosen One trope. Not bad, but it helps if you've read Fangirl first. That's a book I heartily recommend. And no, my paid work does not consist of writing book reviews.)

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Well I certainly appreciate the praise, Reeneese and SKara. The real challenge is keeping it up till the draft is done!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Kay - congrats on the progress with your WIP, and on the productive day - AND on the solid sleep. The unhoarding is a big project for me. I've been at it in fits and starts for a number of years now. It gets easier the more you do it.

Wheee Kiethy! Congrats on the 768 and on the progress!

Daniel - 4K+ is Great!!

April, Keep at it! & enjoy that fun ;)

Nice Taylor!

Skara - Congrats on getting in that hour - & if you try the time tracking, I'd love to hear what you thought.

ree - congrats on that 1.5 chapters! I've been on the unhoarding train for a long time. I think it's picking up speed

Ptero - congrats on those 375 words :)

Day 14

WIP: ~1/3 page.

R/SC - wee gardening session, bit more sewing, to the Dentist to get that crown finished - then errands (including a stop at the hidden bakery :)

$$ - Typing (I'm up to 17 WPM on keys f & j 100% accuracy. My goal is to get to 50 WPM with no errors)

Status
Not open for further replies.