June Challenge - Write Every Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Daniel - nice work, that's a decent amount - & then some with the TYPEWRITER words. Fun!

Taylor - what Ptero said - and as long as he doesn't don't kill a bounty - you're golden.

Keithy - AAAAAiiiiieeeee!!!!!! You'll make it. Keep. SWIMMING!

Skara - congrats on those productive days 28 & 28 :)

April - nice work with those three pages :D keep at it!

WGough - I hate being that tired :p & even if you didn't write - you did some research (I googled linsey-woolsey - I was like - I've heard of that…

Day 28 - 1/2 page
R/SC - repaired an umbrella; PAID BILLS;
aaand a big WFT moment today - I looked out the window - my car was not there. I was supposed to renew the plates and it go towed. But - I never got *any* kind of notification that it was due to be renewed. They have the correct mailing address for me. I am NOT happy right now. For one I had planned to do something early tomorrow morning by car and then I have to go to the tow lot to pick it up - the towing fee comes to over 1/4 of my food budget for the month…
(The towing guy said registry stopped sending out fyis years ago - "tryinna save the money")
$$ - Typing - still at 24/25 - I made a few mistakes, I think it's cause I was tired & stressed. I also ran into a friend & got some free advice about my Dream Career Path - & I'll consider it a $$ action because I had to overcome a lot of … hesitation(?) (fear?) to be open & ask - not directly for help, but for the advice.

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
Day 28
Words Written Today: 4,662
WIP Total Count: 65,113
Other WIP Count: 45,567

Yay for progress. Definitely not going to finish the WIP this month but that's okay. I will be close.

Taylor: Always go Star Wars. Always

Keithy: That's a lot to go wrong all at once. I feel you <3

Ptero: Great work! Also good luck. I hate writing in public. I make faces, and talk to myself, and speak out loud when I'm writing dialogue. People stare.

SKara: Sorry about the fever! But yay on progress and meditation.

April: Thank you for the well wishes and I'm interested by flying unicorns good job.

WGough: No writing happens sometimes. I am proof of that XD

Daniel: 1000 words is awesome!

Layla: You had a very productive/busy day. I am impressed! Great job!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
OK, the computer's still playing games. Pressed the on button about a million times, nothing. Took it to bits, hoovered up all the dust inside (there was a ton of it). Tried again and again. No good.

Put it back together and called Dell online support. That took ages. Was told they would come and collect it, and it would take up to 15 working days to diagnose and fix. Yikes, I can't do without a computer for that long even if I wasn't trying to write a book. I asked if there was an onsite repair option. Yes, but I would have to buy the parts randomly and hope the engineer could make them work; if not I could sell them back and try some different parts. Then I happened to press the power button... and it came on! miracle! He got me to do a diagnostic, all ok. But the mystery remains, and I'm worried if I turn it off, it might never turn back on again.

I just spent the last two hours backing up everything. The book was never at risk - I have three backups all the time. But I really really don't need this.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 28 - 374 words

Doesn't look like WIP #1 will get done this month, but I'm edging closer to the part where most of it's pre-written so it'll be smooth sailing from then on. Then I can devote July to WIP #2. I've already signed on for the July thread. I'm going to aim for 500 words per day, which may be more doable for me.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Taylor: Guess I walked right into that one :p

WGough: Exactly – even if you don’t meet your goal, you’re still further on than you were at the start of the month. What do you think of Chuck’s book? I’ve never read any of his fic or non-fic, but I do like his blog.

Daniel: Enjoy your partay!

Layla: Bloody hell, what a nightmare. Can you claim the fee back? Bastards. Anyway, I’m once again amazed that you managed to write alongside all that. You are the champion of writing and adulting.

KayMitch: Wooft, that’s some total! Oh yeah, the flying unicorns are most intriguing…

God Keithy, that was some twist at the end of your tale! I’m glad it’s back on – even if it might have to stay on forever…

Pterofan: Good job. And it can take a while to figure out what you can comfortably manage each day.

I wrote another three pages, and continued my battles with technology (now moving to paperback woes). My brain’s kinda frazzled from it all, so when I sit down to write it’s a pleasant relief. Honestly, this writing by hand thing is the biz.

Day 29: Decent bit; 7 miles; high-risk home-made pastries

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
So after a long talk with my friends, whom I'm moving in with, I'm hoping that I got more time to plan the move than I thought. But this also prompted me to get back into something I'd considered doing to bring in extra cash: write novellas. Which means that AMBERSHIELD is now, once again, on the back burner.

In good news though, I've churned out 6k words in 2 days since I scramble-plotted this thing >.> Everything's moving along right and tight, but we'll see how long that lasts.

Let's keep swimming into July everybody!

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Ptero: Well done on the word count! Hope your WIP #1 gets done soon :) And good luck with your July goals!

April: Branching out into other platforms - this definitely calls for a celebration :partyguy: Huge huge huge congrats on the publishing, and well done on the steady writing despite technology battles!

WGough: Sounds like a tough day you've had. You're right, though, not the end of the world (not the even the beginning, if you ask me :) Take some rest - you've had some very productive days, and you'll have them again soon. I'll talk to July; it will be generous to you.

Daniel: Good work! I know that feeling of satisfaction when your writing's going in the right direction. Enjoy the party and come back refreshed!

Layla: Urgh, the towing thing sucks - too unfair. Well done on the 1/2 page, though, and asking for advice on your career path - that's huge, and I think it was a very wise and brave move on your part :)

Kay: Another big word count! I agree, the finishing part will take care of itself as long as you're making steady, solid progress.

Keithy: Whew, that's a huge relief. I'm glad you can work again :) I really hope your computer stays okay - fingers crossed!

Taylor: One page is still good, steady progress :)

thereeness: Glad to hear you have enough time to plan things now. Well done on the 6k!

Day 29: A lot of restructuring and writing on the MG project, some good work on the other one. Two restful naps. I feel like I finally have control over my sleep issues (I've spent years thinking my sleep troubles are way too out of control). I'm super grateful for that - it's like life looks bright again.

Keep swimming, lovely people. We're doing a good job, and July is close now!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Kay - I'm glad to hear you are coming close to your goal for the month.

Keithy - my computer is kind of like yours…

Nice work, Taylor!

Ptero - 374 words it pretty great, imo

April - no. nothing. yes, it's a nest of bastards. Congrats on the decent bit, the miles and - I'm really wondering about high-risk pastries…

Reeness - hope that timing works out for you & congrats on getting all those words down!

Skara - congrats on all that work, and on finding the sleep balance. So many people think they are helpless against their sleep issues. (I used to have trouble but I managed to get a handle on it, too)

Day 29

WIP ~ 1/3 page
R/SC - ransomed my car. (The tow men had left the passenger side windows open and it rained yesterday grrrr. It could have been worse - at least there wasn't a puddle…) I went to the Countryside - walk in the woods & dip in the lake - then got home & just read for the rest of the day
$$ - did some typing - using a new site, had to slow down because the letter combos are different, -- and prolly also because I'm tired… Hot one here today, will be more so over the weekend…

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 29
Finished revising a difficult chapter. Revised 1/2 of another difficult chapter. Why is this getting harder? Researched medieval fairy folklore for about five minutes. Up to 96,470 words.

Daniel - Dig that enthusiasm!

Layla Nahar - Having your car towed is the worst! Glad you got it back. Literally swim, swim, swim.

SKara - Glad your days are brighter. Awesome progress!

thereeness - Sounds like you're feeling better. Congrats on the word count!

April - I'm gonna have to give longhand another go. Chuck's book is exactly like his blog. Vulgar and hilarious. Kills my imposter syndrome, or smooshes it back down. Judging by your posts, he doesn't suggest anything you don't already know (character, character, character, tension, tension, tension), but it's a fun read.

Pterofan - Respectable word count. I'll see you on the July thread.

Taylor - Go, a page or so! Go! Fight! Win!

Keithy - Ugh, computer woes give me palpations. Hope the damned thing starts behaving again soon!

KayMitch - Super fantastiche word count! Good stuff.

One more day. I'm curious to see who met their goals. I surely did not.

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
Day 29
Words Written Today: 3,247
WIP Total Count: 65,113
Other WIP Count: 48,814

Well got some writing done today. Still nowhere close to what I hoped I would be at by today, but that's alright. I still have about 7 scenes in my WIP left to go and around 17k based on my estimations. 2 of those scenes are an epilogue though, so only 5 scenes until the end of the story really. But they are long ones, and definitely going to be very emotional ones as well. It'd be great if I could write that all tomorrow, but that is highly unlikely XDDD

Keithy: Yay for your computer turning on. Boo for no idea why it was not working in the first place.

Taylor: Good work on a page!

Ptero: Don't worry it doesn't look like my WIP will get done either.

April: I used to love writing by hand. Great work!

thereeness: 6k in two days is awesome!!

SKara: Naps are always important. My sleep schedule is all sorts of effed up >.> so I envy you XD

Layla: A countryside walk sounds so nice <3

WGough: A chapter and a half of revision is amazing. I hate revising. XD Writing the first draft is the easy part for me.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I think I have an explanation for the computer woes. It's to do with the cooling fan (for me, not the computer). If I turn it off and unplug it, then try the computer, the computer starts. There was me thinking it was something to do with hot weather. Is the fan gobbling up all the electricity?

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
My story is fighting with me. I know what has to happen but coming out and saying it is harder. Wrote another page.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 29 - 602 words. The plot idea I came up with is adding richness and tension to the story.

Obviously, I will not be finishing WIP #1 today. I only hit 1000 words maybe 4-5 times in 30 days. But I still wrote something every single day for those 30 days, so banana for me! :banana: In fact, bananas for everybody! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: You guys rock!

Keithy - sounds like you're right, it could be a power issue. I can't listen to the radio while I type because the minute I turn on the computer the radio signal gets static-y. This happened with two separate radios. Electronics are finicky beasts. Are you running the fan and the computer from the same outlet?

Enjoy our last day here. See y'all in July!

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Layla: Well done on the writing! And I'm glad to hear you got your car back! Hot weather - yeah, that sucks ... I'm actually sitting in front of a heater as I write this (lol) but I don't like summers at all.

WGough: Revising difficult chapters is a lot of work, so give yourself credit for that. The whole revision obviously can't go smoothly: there are easy parts, and then there are hard parts. Hang in there - you'll get through it!

Kay: Well, my sleep schedule is a mess too, thus all the untimely naps (I hope to focus more on sleep for the next month). Nice job with the word count! You did your best during the month, and you'll do your best again next month - that's what counts :)

Keithy: Well, sounds like we have an explanation, finally! At least now you can control the issue (assuming it actually is the fan that's the problem). Hope you get lots of writing done in the coming month!

Taylor: Steady progress is what counts. I agree, though, some scenes are really hard to get on paper. Sending you good vibes :)

Ptero: Nice word count! And writing every day certainly deserves bananas :) Good luck for the next month!

Day 30: Last day of the month, and it did not go all that well. Because of ... dun dun dun ... sleep troubles. Wow, what a shocker. Anyway, there was a LOT of napping, and I managed to do some pretty great work on the MG project. Probably not going to work on the other one, but that's okay. I've done enough for the day.

Keep swimming, everyone! And good luck - July is nigh!:hooray:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
KayMitch: Close is still good!

The emotional tinges around an ending—I like that.

Keithy: Damn, I hope the tech issue doesn’t come up again.

Definitely sounds like a fan issue. The heat could be making the computer work too hard, methinks, and then—as a defense mechanism, it shuts off before damage is done when it gets too hot.

Taylor: A page is still progress!

Another page—great!

Pterofan: Hemingway did 500 words/day. Hopefully, it works for you!

Awww, thanks! I agree—bananas for everyone!

April: 3 pages? Nicely done.

Thereenenss: You’re swimming like a superstar! = D

Skara: It’s good to get the sleeping schedule in check, methinks.

We did it! YAY!

Layla: Sounds like you got things done! Nice!

WGough: Woah! You’re doing great with that W.I.P word count. Keep it up!

Final Tally:

Day 1: 0.
Day 2: 0.
Day 3: 1219.
Day 4: 2005.
Day 5: 0.
Day 6: 2089.
Day 7: 2288.
Day 8: 2468.
Day 9: 2830.
Day 10: 3668.
Day 11: 4320.
Day 12: 2955.
Day 13: 4321.
Day 14: 1355.
Day 15: 173.
Day 16: 1178.
Day 17: 2301.
Day 18: 4293.
Day 19: 2310.
Day 20: 0.
Day 21: 0.
Day 22: 0.
Day 23: 528.
Day 24: 1473.
Day 25: 2309.
Day 26: 156.
Day 27: 1695.
Day 28: 1000.
Day 29: 0.
Day 30: 450.

Missed days, but I came up with good word counts on many. I will try to make the goal of writing every day next month! Good work everyone!

:PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 30
Finished revising the second half of the difficult chapter this morning. Started revising yet another difficult chapter when Ye Olde A/C went out. That's cool, it was only 102 freaking degrees today. (Sorry for the pun. It was unintentional, and I'm too lazy to fix it) :Sun: Shut up, Sunshine Smiley. Instead of writing, I dealt with "how many BTUs do I need for such-n-such square feet?" and "It costs how much? It's all plastic and wires." Fun times. The non-writing side of June has sucked beyond the telling of it. Not in the big picture sense. I know I'm one of the lucky ones. But in the dang-can't-I-catch-a break? sense.

Great job, everybody! :hooray:

KayMitch - Your word counts continue to blow me away. Good luck with your emotional scenes.

Keithy - Glad you got your computer woes figured out. Swim through the heat.

Taylor - Good job getting your page written. Same. I've got an important plot point that I can't wrangle into a chapter. A four page info dump is fine, right?

Pterofan - Great energy. Congrats on writing every day! My hero.

SKara - Quality beats quantity, if I may cliché at you. Hope your sleep issues resolve soon. Nice rhyme btw.

Daniel - Way to tally! Excellent word counts. And thanks for the words of encouragement.

This was my first monthly challenge, and it is addictive. You are all kind, thoughtful, amazing folks. Just good people. And I'm glad I'm getting to know you. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. See you all in July.

Last edited:

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote on the last day. Don't remember how much though. I only missed 2 days all month. yay me. XDDD On to July

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
:hooray: Thanks, Magnus!

1. Write or do something every day, toward WIPs, inspiration be damned.
2. Revise, revise, revise
3 Word count whatever
4. Publish the historical, already.
5. Don't beat myself up if I fall below my targets.

Last edited:

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: Thanks, Magnus!

1. Write or do something every day, toward WIPs, inspiration be damned.
2. Revise, revise, revise
3 Word count whatever
4. Publish the historical, already.
5. Don't beat myself up if I fall below my targets.

This is the thread from a year ago. ;) I've now added 2019 to the name of the threads, seeing as the WRITE EVERY DAY threads are heading towards their second anniversary.

https://absolutewrite.com/forums/sh...enge-Write-Every-Day!&p=10545728#post10545728

Status
Not open for further replies.