A different question regarding resubmission etiquette

Dr Mindermast

Registered
Reaction score
I've been sending out queries for a picture book. Mostly I've gotten rejections, or no response at all, but from one agent I got... well, it wasn't exactly an R&R. He suggested some revisions, I asked if resubmitting would be okay, he said yes. And all this was the very next day after I had sent my query, which I took to be quite encouraging. So I worked on revisions for a couple of weeks, then I sent the new version back as a reply on the existing email thread. It's been over two months now, and I haven't heard a word.

Besides the general disappointment of no response, I'm also feeling disappointed because this agent's blurb on the website made it sound like we would work well together. And again, there was that fast positive response that got things started. So my question now is, without knowing the individual in question, would it be okay for me to try again with him? And if so, should I send a new query email with the revised text, or would it likely be better to follow up through the prior email thread?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Stop! Do NOT requery. What you do is wait. It takes longer for agents to consider stuff they're serious about than it does to reject. Also, the agent may have a sudden blitz of activity around a client; those things take priority to considering possible new clients.

What you do after you've waited another month is gently nudge the agent on the same email and ask if he/she received your revised ms.

Best of luck.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You mention 'without knowing the individual in question'. Do you mean you don't know him personally, or you don't know what his name is?

I assume you know his name if you exchanged e-mails with him.

I don't see any harm in a short e-mail requesting confirmation your e-mail of x/x/x/ re xxxx was received.

I've been sending out queries for a picture book. Mostly I've gotten rejections, or no response at all, but from one agent I got... well, it wasn't exactly an R&R. He suggested some revisions, I asked if resubmitting would be okay, he said yes. And all this was the very next day after I had sent my query, which I took to be quite encouraging. So I worked on revisions for a couple of weeks, then I sent the new version back as a reply on the existing email thread. It's been over two months now, and I haven't heard a word.

Besides the general disappointment of no response, I'm also feeling disappointed because this agent's blurb on the website made it sound like we would work well together. And again, there was that fast positive response that got things started. So my question now is, without knowing the individual in question, would it be okay for me to try again with him? And if so, should I send a new query email with the revised text, or would it likely be better to follow up through the prior email thread?

Dr Mindermast

Registered
Reaction score
You mention 'without knowing the individual in question'. Do you mean you don't know him personally, or you don't know what his name is?

I just meant you all don't know who I'm talking about, so the question has to stay general instead of someone being able to say "oh yeah, that agent has a reputation for ___, so definitely do/don't bug him again."

In any case, thank you all for the advice so far. If anyone wants to add something else that's also appreciated.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Well, there are no set rules about this, but like the others have mentioned, I think it would be fine to check in with the agent as it's been 2 months (especially as it's a PB, so doesn't require as much reading time as a novel). I would reply to the existing email thread and check in to see if they've received it.

Dr Mindermast

Registered
Reaction score
So here's how the story ends:

I went ahead and sent a check-in email to the agent this morning. The good news is that he got back to me just a couple hours later, and gave me some really good feedback. The bad news is that the feedback came in the form of "I'm gong to pass on your book for these reasons." But like I said, the criticisms were specific and fixable, so once I do that and find some more agents I haven't already queried I can give this another shot...

EDIT: I just reread the email, and while it feels like a rejection (hence my remembering it that way) it never actually says so. But it also doesn't say "send me the next version," so I'm guessing that still means it's the end of the line for this particular agent. Oh well.

Last edited:

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
After you've revised the story, you can always ask the agent if they would be interested in seeing it again. What the worst they can say - no?!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
So here's how the story ends:

I went ahead and sent a check-in email to the agent this morning. The good news is that he got back to me just a couple hours later, and gave me some really good feedback. The bad news is that the feedback came in the form of "I'm gong to pass on your book for these reasons." But like I said, the criticisms were specific and fixable, so once I do that and find some more agents I haven't already queried I can give this another shot...

EDIT: I just reread the email, and while it feels like a rejection (hence my remembering it that way) it never actually says so. But it also doesn't say "send me the next version," so I'm guessing that still means it's the end of the line for this particular agent. Oh well.

If they didn't explicitly say that they would like you to resubmit following revision, it's a rejection.

After you've revised the story, you can always ask the agent if they would be interested in seeing it again. What the worst they can say - no?!

Please don't do this. They'd have asked for it if they'd wanted you to resubmit.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score

Dr Mindermast

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Kats. I will probably allow that to sway me, once the actual revisions are done (and even if I decide not to, at least I'll still have a better product to send out to other agents).

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There are no set rules on it - I'm sure agents all have different opinions, as do writers. Here's what Janet Reid has to say about asking to resubmit a manuscript: http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2014/12/query-question-asking-to-resubmit.html

You're right, there are no set rules about resubmissions. But generally a ms is rejected because it's not right for the receiving agent or editor, and further revisions won't change this.

(Also, having read Janet Reid's blog that you linked to, she doesn't seem in favour of resubmissions either.)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Kats. I will probably allow that to sway me, once the actual revisions are done (and even if I decide not to, at least I'll still have a better product to send out to other agents).

The other solution would be to make a note of this agent, make the revisions and finish querying this MS elsewhere. If it doesn't find representation, write a new book and when you start to query it you show this agent the new MS (via normal query channels, of course.)

I know that it's both flattering and a relief when an agent or editor shows interest in your work, but you don't want to burn your bridges with them by being overly persistent. If one agent was interested, another one will be as well. Especially if you are continuing to make the MS stronger.

Keep going and best of luck!