• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] De Montfort Literature

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
"To earn their place, writers will undergo "a rigorous selection process" which begins with psychometric testing using an algorithm to establish if candidates are suited to the writer’s life."

:Gillhoughly begins laughing too hard and loses consciousness:

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
"There will also be audio editions, promising to 'put the pezaz back into literature.'"

Maybe start with putting correct spelling back into literature first?

Darn it, I want them to put the 'pezaz' into literature! I want to know what happens... ;)

On a serious note, I know an unpublished writer who's applied and she/he's gonna let me know what happens, if anything. Will report back if/when things progress. They've given permission as long as I don't say his/her name.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
The sub Q editor pointed out to me that their contract buys your ideas not just your work, as in forever, and if you leave them you can not go with another publisher for two years.

Surely not all your ideas, right? I mean, you should be able to give them a finite number of ideas. Dunno, say three or four, for the books you're writing specifically for them at any given time.

*sits and imagines sci-fi scenario whereby ideas ad infinitum are sucked from writers' skulls and transported to the hive mind, leaving brainless zombies to walk the path to Mordor... Damn, mixing my sff again!

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha

Had a look at the website. Large print, page filling stock photos, just enough info to pull in the hopeful curious.

His book is listed on it. Not listed on Amazon. No sample to read. Digital copy is 8.99 pounds. 19.99 pounds for a trade softcover.

The name of his hero is, um, Hero.

Last edited:

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
Had a look at the website. Large print, page filling stock photos, just enough info to pull in the hopeful curious.

His book is listed on it. Not listed on Amazon. No sample to read. Digital copy is 8.99 pounds. 19.99 pounds for a trade softcover.

The name of his hero is, um, Hero.

This guy is, at heart, no different from the countless other would-be writers who got frustrated trying to get published, and misguidedly decided starting their own publisher would solve everything. The only reason he's getting so much attention is because, unlike most of them, he has money.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Well, I had filled out their application just to see what they'd say, and last night I got my official rejection:
"We are currently prioritising applicants with many commercially viable ideas as we are looking to support them through the next 10 years or more and looking to build them as wide an audience as possible. We felt that your application did not have enough commercially viable ideas at this time.
You are welcome to reapply in the future once you have developed more."
Since agents have told me my idea (the one I floated via my application) is a good one and have encouraged me in pursuing it, I'm not sure what De Montfort's metric is, except that maybe other applicants threw more than one idea at them.