YA or Adult fiction category help

KiwiinLondon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Would welcome your thoughts on the below.

My latest WIP follows two main characters through their turbulent relationship and friendship. I use “then” and “now” chapters, so it’s a dual timeline book. The “then” is them in their final year of school and then at university. It explores many themes typical of a YA novel, but I suppose is typical of adult fiction too (sex, child abuse, relationships with parents and family, self-esteem, etc). The “now” has them in their mid-late 20s.

I’m writing it as an adult contemporary romance, but do you think giving half the book follows two 18 year olds, it should be YA? If you typically read adult contemporary romance, would the YA flashbacks be off-putting for you? Want to get some outsider thoughts before I write too much more.

Also, if anyone has some recommendations of books to read told from the POV of a guy in the contemporary romance/contemporary fiction genre, I’m all ears.

Thanks!

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Have you read One Day? They start off at university and every other chapter is the guy. I think university stuff can work in an adult book.

KiwiinLondon

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I have. It's one of my favourite books, actually!

With One Day, they're only at university for a small section of the book, where as the plan for mine is to have the school/uni time as at least half the book, so it would definitely be more dominant.

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
That's true, though it didn't strike me as YA when I read that part. I'm guessing you've read Starter for 10 as well if you are a fan :) That didn't seem YA despite taking place at university. And what about Atonement, haven't they just left university or are on their summer holiday from it when the first half takes place? (If you haven't read it that also covers a span of time). To me YA has a distinct feel, yours might have it, but I can't think of YA that covers the mid to late 20s (not saying they aren't out there!)

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Having teenage protagonists doesn't automatically equate YA genre. Robin Wasserman's Girls on Fire is about two teenage girls and it's an adult novel, same for My Absolute Darling who's MC is fourteen. Lullabies For Little Criminals is an adult novel and the MC is 12/13. I think it comes down to the themes and the execution.

I am not too familiar with the expected content for romance as it's not really a genre I read but I would thought something like child abuse would be a theme a bit too dark for that genre, but I might be completely wrong on that one.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
There are plenty of teens in adult fiction. Even a novel entirely centered on teenagers might not be YA, especially if it's set in the context of looking back at that time period from an adult one. I'd say this is almost certainly adult.

KiwiinLondon

Registered
Reaction score
That's true, though it didn't strike me as YA when I read that part. I'm guessing you've read Starter for 10 as well if you are a fan :) That didn't seem YA despite taking place at university. And what about Atonement, haven't they just left university or are on their summer holiday from it when the first half takes place? (If you haven't read it that also covers a span of time). To me YA has a distinct feel, yours might have it, but I can't think of YA that covers the mid to late 20s (not saying they aren't out there!)

Yeah, I've read that one too. Both great, but One Day definitely my favourite. Your little profile panel says you're a Brit? Meee too - well, living there at least!

God, I love Atonement too.

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, well judging on your taste in books yours should be right up my street. I lived in London my whole life until a couple of years ago, I do miss it, enjoy all the art for me

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
To me, this sounds like adult with flashbacks to their teenage years. Unless the adult portion of the book was a short epilogue at the end, having half the book center on two mid-20's characters would put it clearly not YA or part of the YA journey for me. Have you read "Love and Other Words"? Similar to what you are describing.

Lady Fox

Registered
Reaction score
I would say adult all the way, especially with the adult themes you have going in the second half. Even if you were to try and market it as YA I'm not sure a Lit Agent would take it on as such (but I could be wrong).

Xenia

Registered
Reaction score
If it includes a significant portion where your characters are over 18, I would say contemporary adult romance, especially if there is any level of graphic sexual content.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Heaps of great adult books have dual timelines like you describe. Margaret Atwood's Cat's Eye and Judy Blume's Summer Sisters come to mind. ETA - oh, and Beaches, of course!

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would say Adult Fiction based on the knowledge I have and the context you have provided.

BagfootBandit

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the rest of the comments that it sounds more like adult fiction. The flashbacks wouldn't be off-putting. The teenage years are extremely formative. Even grandpas look back on those years (That's why YA has adult fans!)