How to stop a scene with many viewpoints from getting choppy

ipsbishop

Registered
Reaction score
Website
toolsonlinenovel.blogspot.com
I am writing the start of the climax. A revolution is happening. There are a lot of characters each with their own viewpoints and activities occurring in a short period of time of about 6 hours. I'm trying to keep the reader as close to real time as possible. Is there a technique that keeps this from becoming too choppy?

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I would limit the povs. Can you identify which are the most important? Even if all your pov characters have now arrived at a scene together, it may not be necessary for them all to chip in. One of them may be more than capable of shouldering all of the narrative responsibilities.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I am writing the start of the climax. A revolution is happening. There are a lot of characters each with their own viewpoints and activities occurring in a short period of time of about 6 hours. I'm trying to keep the reader as close to real time as possible. Is there a technique that keeps this from becoming too choppy?

Sticky notes and lots of revisions? :)

I'd say it depends on how the rest of your book has been written, and what you want the reader's experience to be. One way to handle it might be:

- one scene per POV (you'll probably want to do this anyway, unless the rest of the book is also in omni - and to talktidy's point, you probably don't want to introduce new POVs here)
- short scenes covering only relevant events ("choppy" can work in your favor, especially if there's a lot of physical action)
- a balance between each POV, so events are weighted properly throughout the timeline

But basically, you've got to take a crack at it and see where it does and doesn't work, then revise. Just like everything else, I suppose. :)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Try it and see.

Choppiness occurs when flow is missing.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
I would strongly recommend reading the Patrick Melrose series from Edward St Aubyn to see how a multiple POV over a short period is done seamlessly. Most of the books take place over the course of a day or a couple of days (apart from Mother's Milk). I don't normally like multiple POVs stories but his are done so brilliantly, plus his prose is amazing, and sharp, another bonus.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
As others have said, I wouldn't swap POVs in the same scene. Provided you handle the transitions well there's nothing wrong with using short scenes like quick cuts in an action movie.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished reading Paula Hawkins' latest novel, Into the Water, which has a similar sort of thing happening (and *lots* of POV characters - 11 I think?). The later chapters grew shorter and shorter as the climax approached, and to me this just heightened the tension and sped up the pace. It didn't read 'choppy' at all. Obviously, as with all elements of effective writing, a high degree of skill was involved :)

Last edited:

ipsbishop

Registered
Reaction score
Website
toolsonlinenovel.blogspot.com
Thank you all. I know from personal experience I am my own worst editor. I took pieces of advice from everyone. POV's were reduced from too many to six, and each scene was lengthed making it smoother and it improved the continuity. I really liked the idea of shorter, but action filled POV's as the climax approaches. One my first pass I found this is more difficult than I thought it would be especially for a writer who tends to be "Windy" but we'll see how it turns out. Many thanks again for the help.

Matt Walker

Registered
Reaction score
I would just make sure you change scene with each change of viewpoint. But as has been said, if done right it can aid the pacing rather than make it choppy.