A Blog Group?

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe these are questions others have, or it might just be me.

Does a mod/admin need to start this specialty feature, or should we do what AW Admin suggested?

Will a mod be present, or part of the group, if needed?

If anyone can start this group, can anyone join at any time (and leave at any time)?

Does everyone need a blog to join the group? For me, I won't have one till next month, but I'd like to join early and see how it goes.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would like to join in. I am a regular poster of twice a week, and have been using WordPress for twelve years.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would suggest having the group operate for a limited time with members listed in the first post. Then restarts with new opt in members periodicially. I don't think you would need a mod for that.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
This thread makes me want to start a blog.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I am building a website and interested in this - count me in.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest having the group operate for a limited time with members listed in the first post. Then restarts with new opt in members periodicially. I don't think you would need a mod for that.

Anyone not in favor of following AW Admin's suggest.... Use this thread (to get max participation)?

The alternative is to follow veinglory's suggest.... Keep a working group to some finite number and see how it goes after some period of time?

Any other suggestions?

Beginning Write

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly i am rather new to how threads work and such, so maybe start slow and keep with this thread and sort of bounce around individual blogs to see how people set theirs up/go about writing...and from there once we understand more of what we want to do with the group/thread we can make it more efficient by actually applying proper thread etiquette and layouts.

AKA Im just going to go through the people who post on this blog and friend them on twitter/whatnot and just starting up conversations on their writings and hopefully we can just have a more freeflow group where we can maybe connect outside of just the threads :)

I'm just stoked people seem to like this idea :) (also I put a new story on my blog if you wish to judge...right here :p)

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I'm open to anything. Any other opinions on how to manage this (quantity- and quality-wise)?

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, for reasons I do not want to discuss, I'm bowing out.

All the best for the group though! :)

Beginning Write

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to see you go, Daniel!

And for everyone else, sorry I haven't posted anything as of late, just got back from vacation from AZ.

Not sure if this thread will actually take off (seems to be tapering off/dropping members already) but maybe we should introduce ourselves a bit before diving into this blog critique/whatnot thing (I know, there are already threads for this, but whatever lol). I'll go first:

My name is Austin, and I'm from the SoCal region. I love fantasy, but will honestly read all genres and types. I prefer character over plot any day of the week, and I think the novella needs to be more popular! As for my blog, it is just a collection of short stories at the moment--mainly use them to test style structure and stretch my genre wings. Long term plans, get my book(s) published and have a reliable writing group (been sorely lacking one of those for awhile/ever). My current WIP is Villain #7 , which is about a villain who has defeated all the heroes in the world and now must create his own hero in order to stave off boredom--hilarity ensues. My current reads include: Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft and Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien (My first read of it...I know, I know, I can hardly call myself a fantasy lover without that one on my resume...fun fact, I HAVE read Two Towers).

Nice to meet you :)

Sekkori36

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sekkorisbooks.com
Hello Guys, my name is Sekkori and I am very interested in this group. I hope it doesn't taper off. I want to start a blog. It's next on my to-do list. My first task was to find a great writing forum. That's how I found AW. I do have one question for a prospective blogger. What blog sites do you guys use? Im veering towards wordpress, but wanted to get some input.
Thanks.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Sekkori36: This thread may help answer your Blog site question.... https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?330368-Where-do-you-blog-on

Update for me.... I have three hundred spells and potions made, and I need a few hundred more created before I can start building my blog. I should have another 30-50 made before I go to bed tonight. I have quite a few blog post topics prepared, but I have yet to know what aspects I want on my Blog. Sometime July I will be ready to blog.

I think we should just start a new thread (as some may not be following this thread until something is actually started). In it, the first post should include something like...

1. Introduction (potential purposes of the group).
2. Limits (if any exist on who can join and for how long, if done in cycles of active bloggers) and Rules (e.g. is a minimum number of return blog reviews required).
3. Ask new users to post their blog link, what goals they have for the blog, and what they would like others to comment on.
4. What did I miss?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Guys, my name is Sekkori and I am very interested in this group. I hope it doesn't taper off. I want to start a blog. It's next on my to-do list. My first task was to find a great writing forum. That's how I found AW. I do have one question for a prospective blogger. What blog sites do you guys use? Im veering towards wordpress, but wanted to get some input.
Thanks.

I'd suggest you start by trying both wordpress.com and blogger.com; both are free (wordpress.com has some paid options; ignore them for now). Don't try to create your "real" site, just mess around with a site you plan to delete.

You can even make the site private.

Playing around will give you an idea about what it's like to use both sites, and which one you personally prefer.

mselephant2015

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Sekkori36: This thread may help answer your Blog site question.... https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?330368-Where-do-you-blog-on

Update for me.... I have three hundred spells and potions made, and I need a few hundred more created before I can start building my blog. I should have another 30-50 made before I go to bed tonight. I have quite a few blog post topics prepared, but I have yet to know what aspects I want on my Blog. Sometime July I will be ready to blog.

I think we should just start a new thread (as some may not be following this thread until something is actually started). In it, the first post should include something like...

1. Introduction (potential purposes of the group).
2. Limits (if any exist on who can join and for how long, if done in cycles of active bloggers) and Rules (e.g. is a minimum number of return blog reviews required).
3. Ask new users to post their blog link, what goals they have for the blog, and what they would like others to comment on.
4. What did I miss?

Love your ideas, can you start it? You seem more organised than me! xD

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
DimelioraL: I'd be happy to, but it would need a consensus agreement (not to alienate people who want to participate).

I propose something like this (as a first post, new thread). I'd rather get some opinions before opening a new thread and constantly revising. Admins/Mods please chime in.

Welcome to the Web Log (Blog) Group Thread

Purpose: This thread, first requested by a member of AbsoluteWrite, is where to participate if you want to share your blog and help others improve their blogs as they help improve your blog. Here is a direct quote, from DimelioraL, regarding the initial request: "Okay, so, like many other writers, I also have a blog which I have been sporadically posting in for about six months or more. Recently I've figured out a theme for it, have rejuvenated it and am now looking for fellow writer-bloggers, whose blogs I can read and keep up with. I wondered if there were any writers with blogs out there interested in a group for us, where we could talk/review latest posts, guest-post for one another and just generally be supportive in that field."

Although AW has a subforum on Blog Reviews, the intent of this group is to provide anything from a one-time review to on-going support for bloggers. We can bounce ideas off one another. We can post our goals, for our blogs, and peers can offer suggestions as to how to work towards those goals (based on knowledge and/or experience). The possibilities are endless.

Participation: To participate, you can do so in one of two ways. 1) If you do not have a blog, or do not want feedback on it but want to participate, feel free to offer feedback on other members' blogs. 2) If you have a blog, and want feedback, post the blog link, what goals you have for the blog, and what they would like others to comment on (or maybe include specific questions you would like answered).

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you only want members with blogs to participate, and not the masses chiming in. Which is best?

Beginning Write

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

Wordpress is what I use :) basic out of box package is all you need to start off :) But tumblr works well too if you dont want to mess with a website (but I would advise wordpress eventually :))!

Beginning Write

Registered
Reaction score
DimelioraL: I'd be happy to, but it would need a consensus agreement (not to alienate people who want to participate).

I propose something like this (as a first post, new thread). I'd rather get some opinions before opening a new thread and constantly revising. Admins/Mods please chime in.

Welcome to the Web Log (Blog) Group Thread

Purpose: This thread, first requested by a member of AbsoluteWrite, is where to participate if you want to share your blog and help others improve their blogs as they help improve your blog. Here is a direct quote, from DimelioraL, regarding the initial request: "Okay, so, like many other writers, I also have a blog which I have been sporadically posting in for about six months or more. Recently I've figured out a theme for it, have rejuvenated it and am now looking for fellow writer-bloggers, whose blogs I can read and keep up with. I wondered if there were any writers with blogs out there interested in a group for us, where we could talk/review latest posts, guest-post for one another and just generally be supportive in that field."

Although AW has a subforum on Blog Reviews, the intent of this group is to provide anything from a one-time review to on-going support for bloggers. We can bounce ideas off one another. We can post our goals, for our blogs, and peers can offer suggestions as to how to work towards those goals (based on knowledge and/or experience). The possibilities are endless.

Participation: To participate, you can do so in one of two ways. 1) If you do not have a blog, or do not want feedback on it but want to participate, feel free to offer feedback on other members' blogs. 2) If you have a blog, and want feedback, post the blog link, what goals you have for the blog, and what they would like others to comment on (or maybe include specific questions you would like answered).

This is beyond perfect :) Sorry Im a tad new to AW/forums myself so I'm not super comfortable with how threads work/best ways to organize them. But everything you have sounds perfect :) Also I have no problem with non-bloggers. . . obviously it would be best to have people who want to blog at some point, but no need to limit it (in my opinion) :)

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Beginning Write: Thank you for the kind words and input!

DimelioraL: Any opinions?

mselephant2015

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Beginning Write, I think you've hit the nail on the head! I have no issues with any non-bloggers adding their opinions, all opinions are good to me :D