Sequels in contracts

mxwriter4

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I can't find some information on sequels in contracts on this forum or on the web. Can a book contract block me from publishing a sequel to a book? The book series I'm planning is more like a labor of love than anything money-related, so I want to know if it's still safe to sign with a publisher. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Matt Walker

Registered
Reaction score
Not that I've received such a contract, but traditional publishers do offer three book contracts and the like. Just be exceptionally careful when it comes to vanity publishers; don't let them have any claim on subsequent books.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if it is possible that a contract to publish a book could include a provision that you will never publish a sequel? The short answer is that a contract can include any provisions all parties to the contract agree to. (Although any provisions deemed illegal or contrary to public policy will be difficult to enforce.) Is it likely that a publisher would offer you a contract with the provision that you never publish a sequel? I'd have to say it's not. Why would a publisher not want the possibility of a sequel, especially if the book becomes very popular?

mxwriter4

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if it is possible that a contract to publish a book could include a provision that you will never publish a sequel?

Sorry about that. I meant is it possible that they would refuse to publish a sequel, as well as blocking me from publishing a sequel with another publisher.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
AFAIK, it's not that they would block you from publishing a sequel with another publisher (although they may ask for the right of first refusal on your sequel ie, they get first look at it, and if they don't want it, you can do what you want with it). The problem is, not many publishers want the second book in a series, if the first is already published elsewhere.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Sorry about that. I meant is it possible that they would refuse to publish a sequel, as well as blocking me from publishing a sequel with another publisher.

Sure it's possible. It'd be spelled out in the contract. You'd be foolish to sign such a contract, though.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Still scratching my head a bit. Seems to me that if your book was published and successful, your publisher would be eager to consider a sequel. If your book was published and did not meet whatever the publisher's expectations for it were, it's likely the publisher would not want to publish a sequel. But I'm not seeing what the publisher's interest would be in stopping you from offering the book elsewhere, once they turned it down.

frimble3 points out correctly that the more likely problem is that it would be be hard to find someone else willing to publish a sequel, especially if the first book published by the original publisher didn't succeed.
And lizmonster is correct that you have control over whether or not you agree to the terms in the original contract.

The best thing you can do, once you are offered a contract, is to have a lawyer experienced in publishing go over the contract with you, so you know exactly what you are agreeing to if you sign it.