Amazon limiting unverified purchase reviews

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I've heard from a bunch of other authors (mostly in the self-pub world) that Amazon is beginning to limit the number of reviews a book can have in terms of verified vs. unverified. Seems that they are trying to curb fake reviews and fake review clubs, but as always, the solution they've come up with heavy-handed and not very well thought out.

Before, it was my understanding, a reviewer had to have spent at least $50 on Amazon (over a year? Lifetime? each year? I dunno) and you couldn't give a product away specifically for a review, except for when it came to ARCs where the rule was, you can give away ARCs but you couldn't demand reviews in exchange.

But now, I think my release got to about twenty or so reviews before my readers came to me with issues reviewing. When they try, it says something along the lines of, this product has suspicious reviewing activity and you cannot review at this time. Except, every book is getting the same message.

I found this link to a blog: https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/05/24/amazon-has-banned-arc-reviews-and-forgot-to-tell-anyone/
Though, I don't know the writer. From that source:
You won't find this policy mentioned on Amazon's site, but numerous authors are reporting on KBoards, Facebook, and elsewhere that Amazon is no longer letting people post un-verified book reviews
The warning message:
Sorry, we are unable to accept your review of this product.This product currently has limitations on submitting reviews. This may be because we detected unusual reviewing behavior on this product, or to maintain the best possible shopping experience. For more information, see the Customer Review Guidelines.
Does anyone have any more info on this? I actually am not too sad about huge ARC programs going away, if that is where this is going, i just want to know what my next step should be!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I heard about this, too. According to an update to the post, it’s a glitch that has been resolved.

I did lose a review last week, the first time that’s ever happened. No idea if there’s a connection; my book doesn’t have enough reviews to raise suspicions that I paid for them, but they can certainly disappear for other reasons.

Personally, I’d be annoyed if I couldn’t post unverified reviews, because I buy books from indie stores when I don’t get them as ARCs. And ARC reviews are really important to authors and publishers. But of course it’s Amazon’s right to do what they want in their store, and I can see the virtue of cracking down on review buying (ugh).

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
As a person who is not on Amazon, I keep hearing shifty things about being a writer on there. Is it really worth it?

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
As a person who is not on Amazon, I keep hearing shifty things about being a writer on there. Is it really worth it?

If you want to sell books, yes, it is. Most of the time it isn't Amazon being shifty so much as implementing policies without thoroughly thinking through all the possible ramifications and closing up loopholes, then being hamfisted about how they fix the problems they've created.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The question's been answered but I'll add my agree to the list. Until something mightier comes along (with its own set of problems) Amazon is the biggest beast out there for selling ebooks.