Health and Human Service Loses 1475 Immigrant Children

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1475 immigrant children who were seized from their parents and placed in the care of Health and Human Services in 2017 are unaccounted for.

An AP investigation found in 2016 that more than two dozen unaccompanied children had been sent to homes where they were sexually assaulted, starved or forced to work for little or no pay. At the time, many adult sponsors didn’t undergo thorough background checks, government officials rarely visited homes and in some cases had no idea that sponsors had taken in several unrelated children, a possible sign of human trafficking.

New guidelines have been put in place to protect these children, but two agencies haven't implemented them more than one year after they were introduced.

Link 1

Link 2

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sickened, and can't understand (and don't want to) anyone who can read about this that isn't.
I've had a lot of people chastise me for being unwilling to make nice and/or be quiet when faced with people who support these rapidly accumulating atrocities. Anyone who thinks they can keep their heads in the sand because this (or the undocumented immigrant parents being forced to wear yellow armbands, or or or) doesn't impact their lives is very mistaken. This affects all of us, worldwide, and for Americans, this IS us.
I'm not interested in playing or watching the long game of morality Twister being played by the GOP and its supporters.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm sick of hearing "we're on the verge of a Constitutional crisis" and "we're on the verge of becoming Nazi Germany." Hello? We're IN both. The question is, how do we get OUT before the damage is irreversible.

Yellow bracelets, ffs. Stephen Miller knows EXACTLY what the message is.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I was gonna post about this last night but got dizzy every time I think about it. We are well and truly the Beast we fear we are becoming, the willful (and gleefully cavalier) dehumanization and terrorizing of children is another step into Final Solution territory. We can already check off the 'Ethnic Cleansing' box on Atrocity Bingo, and rarely do things go this far and then stop.

Years and years and years ahead grappling with this as a nation, and I don't know where half measures will get us. What's it going to take to move ahead when institutions justify actions like this, when process makes something so objectively evil into routine policy. The ICE needs to be utterly erased and everyone involved needs to be prosecuted, I don't have high hopes of that happening, but it's the only (first) productive step I can think of.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Horrifying.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They've been trafficked into slave labor jobs. It's more than just 'losing track'.

Frontline: Trafficked in America
Air date: Tues., Apr. 24, 10:00 pm
Get the inside story of Guatemalan teens forced to work against their will in Ohio. An investigation of labor trafficking exposes a criminal network exploiting undocumented minors, companies profiting from forced labor and the U.S. government’s role.
That is a trailer but you can usually stream Frontline programs for free. I'll look for another link.

Teens leave voluntarily from rural homes with the promise of the smugglers to get them to the US into good jobs. The families are charged money which is supposed to be paid by the teens but in essence it is used as a threat against their families if the kids don't work. Teens end up in detention then they are 'farmed out' to sponsors (some kind of foster care system from the sound of it). A lot of them end up working in chicken processing plants. It's right out of Sinclair's The Jungle.

The way they get 'lost' is poor tracking and the kids get moved to different 'owners' or 'sponsors' whatever you want to call them. Some of them even end up in situations where they attend school then are expected to work eight or more hours ending up with very little sleep. They don't tell anyone what's going on because they are afraid. Teens are no doubt easier to control in that way.

If you know of any farms or factories using teen labor, take a closer look if you can, or encourage your city/town officials to take a closer look. Someone has to see these kids working.

There are many people in on the profits on both sides of the border and no doubt more than a few ICE agents or the people that run the private detention centers the government uses for immigrants are on the take as well.

Here's the link to the full program. 54 minutes

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
These are not children crossing the border themselves, these are year old infants being immediately seized at the border and taken from their parents.

All and All With Chris Hayes as he speaks with Laura St John of the Florence Project.

Link

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I linked to this is another thread but it is just as pertinent to the discussion here

John Kelly: It's not 'cruel' to separate families at the border — children will be 'put into foster care or whatever'

Whatever tuns out to be warehoused on military bases and turned over to human traffickers. Children as young as one year old.

Link

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Meanwhile in upside down land: Trump Tweets: "Put pressure on the Democrats to end the horrible law that separates children from there parents once they cross the Border into the U.S. Catch and Release, Lottery and Chain must also go with it and we MUST continue building the WALL! DEMOCRATS ARE PROTECTING MS-13 THUGS."
The president's critique of the practice of breaking up migrant families is a complete reversal of his own administration's stance. "If you are smuggling a child then we will prosecute you, and that child will be separated from you as required by law," said Attorney General Jeff Sessions earlier this month. "If you don't like that, then don't smuggle children over our border."

Trump's about-face may have been prompted by the outrage the practice has generated in recent days. Public anger was further fueled Friday and Saturday by new attention to a late April report that the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is unable to say what happened to 1,475 of 7,635 migrant children it detained, placed with sponsors, and then checked on last fall. The sponsors are typically parents or other family members and are vetted by HHS before the placement is made, but the system is far from perfect: In one case in 2016, migrant minors were handed over to human traffickers running an egg farm.

The Obama administration, which deported more people than any previous presidency, separated some families after illegal border crossings, but more often it placed them, intact, in detention camps to await their court dates. Since the family separation plan was proposed last year, at least 700 children have been taken from their parents.

The Obama era law [I have been told the law was passed in 2008, making it a Bush era law.] was intended to address unaccompanied minors not to discourage families trying to cross the border.

From Fox News:
While the law says nothing about separating families, it does say that children travelling alone from countries other than Mexico and Canada must be released in the “least restrictive setting” -- namely a family or shelter.

Trump is using separation of immigrant children from their families to blame and extort concessions from Democratic legislators (which by the way, are not needed with the GOP in control of Congress).
But Trump called on Democratic lawmakers to end the practice, apparently as part of a deal that includes the ending of so-called “catch and release” whereby illegal immigrants are released into America while they wait for their court hearing. He also said that the diversity lottery visa and so-called chain migration -- where immigrants can sponsor family members for visas -- must end.

“Catch and Release, Lottery and Chain must also go with it and we MUST continue building the WALL!” he tweeted.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Trump is using separation of immigrant children from their families to blame and extort concessions from Democratic legislators (which by the way, are not needed with the GOP in control of Congress).

To paraphrase from "Thank You For Smoking", it's not about the Democratic legislators - it's about the public at large, and their perception of the "debate." Another lie, another deflection, and as the media chases themselves in circles dissecting and debunking, he can sit back with that smug smack-me-in-the-face grin knowing he's already won simply by muddying the waters.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
March For the Stolen Children

The nationwide march for the missing and stolen children will be June 14, 2018

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first pictures of children who were unaccompanied as they crossed the border. The media had to fight to get access to the detention facility.
These are who Trump calls animals.

Link

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rick Santorum has weighed in.

During a panel discussion on CNN’s "State of the Union," the former GOP senator from Pennsylvania claimed that the children are not missing just because the government doesn't currently know where they are.

The intellect is dizzying.

“They were placed in vetted homes,” Santorum said of the children.

Not so according the HHS, which I linked to in the OP.

Link-Santorum

Dear Primus, why is any news outlet giving this man air time.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rick Santorum has weighed in.

The intellect is dizzying.

Not so according the HHS, which I linked to in the OP.

Link-Santorum

Dear Primus, why is any news outlet giving this man air time.

I listened to his panel input and I wanted to scream at the jerk. He said more than once (paraphrasing), 'meh, government isn't good at tracking things like this, nothing to see here.'

WTF? It didn't dawn on him that there were missing kids that had been in US custody! The paperwork mattered but the kids didn't?

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I think any chance of respect, sympathy and cooperation towards the US from the international community, not to mention Latin America, has gone straight to hell.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I think any chance of respect, sympathy and cooperation towards the US from the international community, not to mention Latin America, has gone straight to hell.

I think that was always the unspoken promise of the regime: America First is America Alone. Don't need no furriners 'round here - except, y'know, for the campaign contributions and personal favors...

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
GEO Group, the private prison hired to warehouse immigrants has a special prison bus for babies. To read their description, you'd think the kids were off on a summer camp trip.

Link