ICE Now Forcing Some Immigrants To Wear Yellow Bracelets

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Immigrants arrested illegally crossing the border with children are now being forced to wear yellow bracelets to identify them. Their children are also being taken away from them and will be warehoused on military bases

The US now has a president who has called Nazis 'very fine people' and is openly waging war on immigrants. Now some of those immigrants are being singled out and marked with insignias to identify them. Some nauseating piece of history being repeated.

Link

Link 2

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
It took Hitler much longer to get to this point, IIRC.

Guess things really do move faster in the digital age...

So, any bets on when the new concentration camps go up? November? January? Already in existence but hushed up?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, any bets on when the new concentration camps go up? November? January? Already in existence but hushed up?

In my OP Link 2 it says the immigrant children seized from their parents are to be warehoused on military bases. It's already begun.

Conditions in the detention centers are appalling, molded food, sexual assault, forced solitary confinement and forced labor.

Link 1 conditions

Link 2 forced labor

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
What can I do to help?

I've wondered from time to time about the WWII era people in towns that contained concentration camps. The bulk of locals claimed they had no idea what was going on down the road, and for all I know, that could be true. But let's say, theoretically, the entire town knew exactly what was going on, agreed it was wrong and horrible, and wanted to shut it down... what could they have actually done? It's not like they could simply walk into a guarded closed facility and open the gates. They'd probably have been shot for their troubles.

I've been seriously considering leaving the country, but that feels like a copout. My moving to Canada won't do anything to help these people. I'd be happy to take in a kid and at least provide one decent, caring foster home (if they'd even let me - my income is crap) ... but I'm against taking children from their parents in the first place; so wouldn't signing up to foster make me complicit?

I hate what's going on, and I hate feeling powerless to stop it, and so I ask, in all seriousness, what can I do to help?

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the more attention we raise and keep raising helps. Letting these abuses go on in silence is one reason they continue. Talk about it on other social media outlets. Keep things current and active.

Register people to vote if they aren't and encourage those who are registered but apathetic to vote.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the more attention we raise and keep raising helps. Letting these abuses go on in silence is one reason they continue. Talk about it on other social media outlets. Keep things current and active.

Register people to vote if they aren't and encourage those who are registered but apathetic to vote.

This^ and complain to CNN and MSNBC about them not covering ICE abuses and the exploitation of these people.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
I know parts of what I'm going to say here are not going to be popular, so I'll preface it with this:

There is a crisis at the US southern border, I empathize with the individuals and families trying to illegally enter the US (god knows I'd do the same in their shoes), and I don't have a fart of an idea what would fix it.

I feel like the perspective forming here needs a re-adjustment.

Immigrants arrested illegally crossing the border with children are now being forced to wear yellow bracelets to identify them. Their children are also being taken away from them and will be warehoused on military bases

The US now has a president who has called Nazis 'very fine people' and is openly waging war on immigrants. Now some of those immigrants are being singled out and marked with insignias to identify them. Some nauseating piece of history being repeated.

Link

Link 2

About the first link (yellow bracelets):

The exact text in the first link about the yellow bracelets:

Jacinto wore a yellow bracelet on her left wrist, which defense lawyers said identifies parents who are arrested with their children and prosecuted in Operation Streamline, a fast-track program for illegal border crossers.

I cannot for the life of me find any other reference to individuals charged with illegal immigration wearing yellow wrist bracelets, except for this (Note the article was published in May 2017):

Detainees are housed in four divisions of the jail based on their classification level. They spend most of their day within their two-tier cellblocks, marked by a cluster of tables and chairs on the lower level. Around their wrists are clunky ID bracelets with their Alien Registration Numbers and mug shots.

And, just for perspective, Operation Streamline has been in practice since at least 2014. It's a fast-tract method to prosecute groups of individuals for the same crime (illegal entry).

Operation Streamline has its own issues: predominantly that defense lawyers don't have enough time to advise their clients and group sentencing means people who would be eligible for asylum get bullied into pleading guilty instead.

Taking what is said in OP link 1, it sounds like the yellow bracelet is reserved exclusively for those charged with illegal entry with a minor. Perhaps it also serves as some form of identification as said individuals are being held for a crime. And Jacinto is being held for a crime. You may disagree that it's a crime, I don't think it's worth the time or effort to charge her with a crime, but she is unfortunately being prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

This is not the same as Jews wearing stars in Nazi Germany.

Much is not known about the purpose of Jacinto's yellow bracelet: is it only for ID? Is it a GPS tracker? Does it link her legal case to her children somehow so they don't go unaccounted for?

Right now the only thing known is she has this bracelet to identify her status as a parent with children being held in the country. That is not necessarily a bad thing.

---------------------------

About the second link (children housed at military bases):

From the link:

The Trump administration is preparing to warehouse immigrant children on military bases after they have been separated from their parents while attempting to cross the U.S.-Mexico border illegally.

Previously, Border Control agents tried to keep families together at the same detention site, and people apprehended while crossing illegally were simply bused back over the border without any charges.In a statement, the department's administration for children and families said that federal agencies are searching for properties with existing infrastructure to potentially use as locations for temporary shelters.

From OP link 1:

In a written statement, ICE officials said the agency prioritizes placing families in residential centers. But if they are operating at capacity, “We can also look for temporary hotel space or consider alternatives to detention, such as supervised paroles or use of ankle placement for monitoring.”

The government has struggled to handle the increase of families coming across the border — at ports of entry and between the ports — since the numbers first started to rise in 2014.

The parents are charged with a crime and held in a jail, the children aren't being sent to jail, so they need somewhere else to go. The default somewhere else might be at capacity and they need some other place to place the kids while their parents are being prosecuted.

Thus, military bases.

There are more families trying to enter, and so more space to house them is needed. This is not the same as concentration camps.

In my OP Link 2 it says the immigrant children seized from their parents are to be warehoused on military bases. It's already begun.

Conditions in the detention centers are appalling, molded food, sexual assault, forced solitary confinement and forced labor.

Link 1 conditions

Link 2 forced labor

I'm not going to argue anything about the forced labor part. The link is a reference to a lawsuit alleging the "voluntary" work isn't very voluntary.

About the first link (detention center conditions):

It's snippets from a larger report inspecting 5 different detention centers, some of which are jails. One of them passed with flying colors while the other 4 exhibited the issues identified in the article.

There's no reference to molded food.

There's no reference to sexual assault.

About the solitary confinement:
The report identified violations of ICE detention standards in the way several facilities separated detainees from the general population, a practice officially known as disciplinary or administrative segregation."Staff did not always tell detainees why they were being segregated, nor did they always communicate detainees' rights in writing or provide appeal forms for those put in punitive lockdown or placed in segregation."
Medical visits and meal records also weren't properly documented, the inspectors found. "Some of these issues may simply be a matter of inadequate documentation, but they could also indicate more serious problems with potential misuse of segregation," the report says.

Sounds like some of the facilities have an extreme lax policy regarding proper documentation of solitary. Doesn't exclude the possibility of abuse, but let's keep in mind most of the issues stem from lack-of or improper documentation.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I hate what's going on, and I hate feeling powerless to stop it, and so I ask, in all seriousness, what can I do to help?

This, right here. It's a fight, every single day not to succumb to hopelessness. Making the populace feel powerless is, of course, part of the autocrat's playbook. It's just stunning to me how easily the people's elected officials and supposed "free press" fall like dominoes. The legal wing can keep fighting, but by the time they produce a result, there will be no system to take anything forward.

I agree putting pressure on the large media institutions is a step that we should take every day. I tweeted the Arizona Republic story at the major outlets this morning, but they're so busy chasing Trump's laser toy they can't be bothered. Damn, it's maddening. :rant:

One smallish thing: Support local newspapers. They're the ones getting this stuff into the public eye. If you can't afford a subscription, consider turning off your ad blockers for them.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
From Newsweek. Yes, these are old and horrific allegations. CPB and ICE were running rogue under Obama, and they have no impetus to improve under Trump. It will only get worse as he gives them the thumbs up.

Migrant children under the care of United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) were allegedly beaten, threatened with sexual violence and repeatedly assaulted while in custody between 2009 and 2014, according to a report released Wednesday from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and the International Human Rights Clinic at the University of Chicago Law School.

Based on 30,000 pages of documents obtained through a records request, the report includes gruesome, detailed accusations of physical and mental abuse at the hands of officers. The claims were filed by unaccompanied minors, most of whom hailed from El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico and Honduras. CBP officials have contested large swaths of the report, telling Newsweek that many of the allegations have been investigated and are "false."

Border authorities were accused of kicking a child in the ribs and forcing a 16-year-old girl to “spread her legs” for an aggressive body search. Other children accused officers of punching a child in the head three times, running over a 17-year-old boy and denying medical care to a pregnant teen, who later had a stillbirth.

Mitra Ebadolahi, ACLU Border Litigation Project staff attorney, said the allegations describe a law enforcement system "marked by brutality and lawlessness." The organization also accused Border Protection officials of failing to “meaningfully investigate” the allegations detailed in the public records.

The earliest stages of the Nazi atrocities did not look like Auschwitz and Dachau either. They looked like Breitenau.
In 1933, an early Nazi concentration camp for political prisoners was added. In 1932 and 1933 the prisoner population was 24 people, between 1933 and 1934, the population increased to 125. A number of the 125 prisoners had been arrested during a one-week raid on homeless people known as "Beggars Week". By the end of 1933, 11,000 people were held and placed in early concentration camps. Only a few of them were brought to Breitenau concentration camp. The Nazis later decided to close it down in 1934.

After the Law for the Prevention of Hereditarily Diseased Offspring was passed, Breitenau officials began to test prisoners for hereditary diseases. Many of the inmates who were found to have hereditary diseases were transported to euthanasia killing centers or kept at Breitenau under penalty of being forcibly sterilized.

Don't ever, ever, ever think it can't happen here.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My mistake, I did not post the link to a third article, which referenced the sexual assault and moldy food.

Expired, moldy, and spoiled foods. Poor conditions in bathrooms. Long waits to receive medical care.

These are some of the observations cited at a federal report released on Thursday that said detained immigrants, at four large U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) centers, are being treated inhumanly.

“We filed a formal complaint on behalf of 31 transgender and cisgender women and these strip searches sometimes will turn into sexual assault. … We again raised this issue this earlier April,” she said.

Link

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like the perspective forming here needs a re-adjustment.

Here's my perspective. Racism, xenophobia, and misogyny have increased during this administration. We now have seen numerous political candidates campaigning proudly on these platforms. We have an administration ignorant of the laws (ie: DeVos saying schools could/should report undocumented students/families), and willing to spit on the laws they are informed of. Patriotism is now officially being equated with nationalism (maybe NFL players should be deported for taking a knee, according to the Oval Office), people who came here as children (not their choice) who have lived here, attended school here, and are contributing, beneficial members of society who may/may not have ever been to their country of origin or speak that language have the threat of deportation hanging over them, people who came here officially through refugee programs (Hondurans, Salvadorans, Haitians, Nepalis) are scheduled to be sent back to countries that are just as desperate and dangerous as when they left, and there is a calculated campaign to equate immigrants with animals, setting the stage to further dehumanize immigrants.

There may not be official concentration camps here today, but as Elaine said above, Hitler didn't start with the ovens either. He started exactly like this.

We are a nation with a complex history, much of it shameful, to pretend that it isn't once again a shameful time that is potentially more dangerous to all of us than any other time, is not going to help, imo. It's way too easy to pretend all is well, it's no big deal. We know from the rise of fascism/dictators throughout history--worldwide--by the time pretending is no longer an option, it is too late.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
From Newsweek. Yes, these are old and horrific allegations. CPB and ICE were running rogue under Obama, and they have no impetus to improve under Trump. It will only get worse as he gives them the thumbs up.

Undoubtedly Trump thinks CPB and ICE are great and doing God's Will.

The earliest stages of the Nazi atrocities did not look like Auschwitz and Dachau either. They looked like Breitenau.

In 1933, an early Nazi concentration camp for political prisoners was added. In 1932 and 1933 the prisoner population was 24 people, between 1933 and 1934, the population increased to 125. A number of the 125 prisoners had been arrested during a one-week raid on homeless people known as "Beggars Week". By the end of 1933, 11,000 people were held and placed in early concentration camps. Only a few of them were brought to Breitenau concentration camp. The Nazis later decided to close it down in 1934.

After the Law for the Prevention of Hereditarily Diseased Offspring was passed, Breitenau officials began to test prisoners for hereditary diseases. Many of the inmates who were found to have hereditary diseases were transported to euthanasia killing centers or kept at Breitenau under penalty of being forcibly sterilized.

Don't ever, ever, ever think it can't happen here.

Building more detention centers, to hold the increasing numbers of people charged with illegal entry, who after serving their sentence (if any) are deported, is comparable to that?

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
My husband was detained in what he called "a concentration for immigrants." He was shuttled from one place to another in Georgia and once sent to a county jail "for breaking parole" when was never free to break parole. I have no clue what he suffered, because they would not allow him contact with me. I had to check the rolls of those camps via the web to keep up with where he was. I tried to get help. I went to the press. But nobody gave a shit.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know parts of what I'm going to say here are not going to be popular, so I'll preface it with this:

There is a crisis at the US southern border, I empathize with the individuals and families trying to illegally enter the US (god knows I'd do the same in their shoes), and I don't have a fart of an idea what would fix it....
I agree we need to be careful about the news we consume that is subject to false representation (on a smaller scale) as the right wing propaganda machine.

But the border crisis you speak of is not akin to World War Z zombies flooding into the country. Are you sure you aren't just sucking up the rhetoric about the crisis that you speak of?

The "parents" you speak of are not murderers and rapists and horrid criminals. They are people seeking jobs for the most part and those jobs are available here or they wouldn't be coming.

Taking their children away is nothing more than a terror tactic to discourage undocumented immigrants from crossing the border. That you excuse it as some sort of humane thing to not throw kids into jails for criminals says how little you know about the plight of unaccompanied minors in detention in private for-profit prisons. And if you look at regdog's posts in this and the other related thread about losing track of more than a 1,000 of these kids you'll see that there is nothing humane about this.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Taking their children away is nothing more than a terror tactic to discourage undocumented immigrants from crossing the border. That you excuse it as some sort of humane thing to not throw kids into jails for criminals says how little you know about the plight of unaccompanied minors in detention in private for-profit prisons. And if you look at regdog's posts in this and the other related thread about losing track of more than a 1,000 of these kids you'll see that there is nothing humane about this.

Indeed.

In fact, if one were conspiracy-minded, one might assume this is all designed to replace low-paid undocumented immigrants with slaves paid nothing at all.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
My husband was detained in what he called "a concentration for immigrants." He was shuttled from one place to another in Georgia and once sent to a county jail "for breaking parole" when was never free to break parole. I have no clue what he suffered, because they would not allow him contact with me. I had to check the rolls of those camps via the web to keep up with where he was. I tried to get help. I went to the press. But nobody gave a shit.

Wow, Cindy, I don't even know what to say. I assume this is something that happened already, and not something that's currently happening?

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Building more detention centers, to hold the increasing numbers of people charged with illegal entry, who after serving their sentence (if any) are deported, is comparable to that?

Yes, it is. There are options for dealing with those who cross the border illegally that conform with the rule of law. Nothing about what ICE and CPB are doing conform. Not the detainment facilities, not the lack of courts or attorneys, not the failure of paperwork, not the handling of children, none of it. Our tactics may be different from the Nazis, but they are no less a toe in the door. It's illegal entrants today, NFL players who dare to kneel tomorrow, and who knows what the next day, but with the path we are on, there WILL be a next day.

And believe you me, if "illegally in the US" were the ACTUAL parameter, we'd see the Ukrainians and Russians and Irish and Israelis and Canadians who've overstayed their legally allowed time here in those detention facilities, too, but...hmmm...you don't. *thinkyface emoji*

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As for warehousing the children on military bases. I started another thread about 1475 immigrant children who the Federal Govt took from their parents and now have no idea where those children are.

Link-Thread

Cindy, that is awful

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Wow, Cindy, I don't even know what to say. I assume this is something that happened already, and not something that's currently happening?
Happened in 2012.

As for warehousing the children on military bases. I started another thread about 1475 immigrant children who the Federal Govt took from their parents and now have no idea where those children are.

Link-Thread

Cindy, that is awful
It was, let me tell you. i lost everything and faced homelessness.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
GQ reports on abuses suffered by children in detention centers

Link

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I find it ironic that Republicans, who attacked teachers on the grounds a one-day strike would "guarantee" children would be sexually abused think that herding them in large groups without parental supervision into military bases is perfectly okey-dokey. Particularly as ICE is trying to be able to purge files of abuse reports as soon as possible.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
[/COLOR]

Umm. Yes? A cocker spanial may look different from a Jack Russell terrier, but it's not difficult to recognize them both as dogs.

Those detention centers are being stuffed to the gills with people who committed a misdemeanor - not exactly hardened criminals here.

Their children are being taken away and passed off to "foster homes" that have managed to "lose" 20% of the children they're supposed to be taking care of. HUMAN BEINGS ARE PERMANENTLY LOSING THEIR CHILDREN OVER A MISDEMEANOR. In what world is that OK? Ever?

The parents are deported afterward rather than killed? That's nice. However:

1) Give it time.

2) What of the parents who never get their kids back? Is that a fitting punishment for a misdemeanor?

Taking people's children, whether those children are killed or not, is one of the cruelest things that can be done to a person, and it crops up in the most shameful corners of history.

- Native Americans had their children taken away to put in "Indian Residential Schools."

- In WWII, children with "Aryan blood" were taken from their parents and adopted out to "racially suitable" German families (and many, many other children were killed).

- U.S. slaves had their children taken away and sold, often never to be seen again, and bystanders of the time comforted themselves with the erroneous belief that black parents, not being fully human, didn't feel the same affection for their children that white parents did.

- Now it's back. This time it's the children of illegal immigrants being ripped from their families, and that same element of society says, "Well, they knew the risk. If they wanted to keep their children, they shouldn't have come here," and the little unspoken postscript, "they clearly don't care that much about their children." Potato, potahto.

And what about this? Link 2

Workers are being forced to work for $1 - $4 a day by:

]
Depriving detainees of basic necessities like food, toothpaste, soap and toilet paper, so they have to work to pay for those items from the detention center's commissary.

They have to perform slave labor if they want soap, or want to eat? That's one of the classic earmarks of a concentration camp.

Work to eat> eat to live> live so that you can eventually be set free.

Take out that middle step, and you have: Work in order to be set free. Sound familiar?

Nazi concentration camps weren't pure death camps. They were also a source of essentially free labor. This, too, has been done before.

It won't look exactly like Nazi Germany becuase the starting point is different. Maybe it won't devolve into a death camp; maybe it will just be a modern version of the Asian internment camps the US had during that time.

"Are they being killed? No? Do they eventually get set free? Yes?" If that's our acid test for whether something is cruel and wrong, then we need to rethink our criteria.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And what about this? Link 2

Workers are being forced to work for $1 - $4 a day by:

They have to perform slave labor if they want soap, or want to eat? That's one of the classic earmarks of a concentration camp.

Work to eat> eat to live> live so that you can eventually be set free.

Take out that middle step, and you have: Work in order to be set free. Sound familiar?

Nazi concentration camps weren't pure death camps. They were also a source of essentially free labor. This, too, has been done before.

It won't look exactly like Nazi Germany becuase the starting point is different. Maybe it won't devolve into a death camp; maybe it will just be a modern version of the Asian internment camps the US had during that time.

"Are they being killed? No? Do they eventually get set free? Yes?" If that's our acid test for whether something is cruel and wrong, then we need to rethink our criteria.

Over the gates of Auschwitz
Arbeit Macht Frei

"Work Sets You Free"