ICE Now Forcing Some Immigrants To Wear Yellow Bracelets

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
The problem was the zero tolerance/prosecution thing. So if they're not ending that, I don't quite get how they're processing people, or at least how they're processing children, or where they ARE going to hold them, as the holding facilities for adults aren't likely to be configured for families, especially with young kids, and separate areas and etc.
Yeah, I am worried about where this will go. The announcement said this will be "backed by legislation." The idea of what the GOP will come up with for legislation to address this terrifies me. Well, these days, not much doesn't terrify me.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I am worried about where this will go. The announcement said this will be "backed by legislation." The idea of what the GOP will come up with for legislation to address this terrifies me. Well, these days, not much doesn't terrify me.

If they wanted this done in a hurry, they'd back the Democrats' bill. That they're more interested in introducing their own legislation suggests that the GOP is more grumpy that people are calling them out.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trump signing an executive order ending immigrant family separation.Showboating ego maniac, all he had to do was pick up the phone, but where's the publicity in that.

Link CNN Youtube link

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
The text of the order is out.

I read it and saw many areas for concern. Looks like indefinite family concentration camps (zero tolerance remains) and no family separations unless the government has concern for the child's welfare (vague). New facilities could be built (follow the money). The whole thing is vague in the worst ways.

NYT

The order said that officials will continue to criminally prosecute everyone who crosses the border illegally, but will seek to find or build facilities that can hold families — parents and children together — instead of separating them while their legal cases are considered by the courts.

Last edited:

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Trump signing an executive order ending immigrant family separation.Showboating ego maniac, all he had to do was pick up the phone, but where's the publicity in that.

Link CNN Youtube link

There are catches. There's still room to separate families by claiming there aren't available resources to house them together, and Trump wants Sessions to challenge the Flores settlement, which limits how long children may be detained to 20 days (because if you're keeping families together and you have to release the kids, you have to release the adults as well).

I expect this move is to get people to take their eyes off of the families. There are thousands of kids out there that need to get back to their parents, and I don't think this administration knows how to pull that off. They just want people to stop holding them accountable for it.

ETA: Scooped by Lyv. Well said.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The text of the order is out.

I read it and saw many areas for concern. Looks like indefinite family concentration camps (zero tolerance remains) and no family separations unless the government has concern for the child's welfare (vague). New facilities could be built (follow the money). The whole thing is vague in the worst ways.

NYT

So basically no change except people are even more hidden away.

This is unacceptable

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
So basically no change except people are even more hidden away.

This is unacceptable

Hands up, those of you surprised that this "back down" isn't a back-down at all, just a change in/worsening of tactics...

Anyone? Any hands at all?

(And they're praising him. They're crawling up his tail clear to the esophagus praising him for this. When the abuser takes off the brass knuckles and switches to the battery-filled sock, he should not be praised for ending the brass knuckle policy. I just... gah...)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

Oh, but wait for it . . . Now will come the tweets "explaining" why his statement of a few hours before the exec order was to the effect that his hands were tied, Congress needed to act, it was all the fault of the "Democrat Bill" (which doesn't exist) and . . . oh, never mind, I'll just declare it to end, selah.

He expected a wave of popular adulation over his theatrical and otherwise worthless meeting with Kim Jong-Un, didn't get that, whined about not getting it, and then immediately got embroiled in this mess of his own making. No amount of "Look over there, what can that be?" distraction is going to bury this stinking mess, and a lot of Republican officials are well aware of it. Read about Steve Schmidt and what he did today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/us/politics/party-of-trump-steve-schmidt.html

caw

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.99114f7b55e1

They aren't keeping track of the children. A judge expressed incredulity that if the police confiscate a wallet the owner gets a receipt, but they take away these people's children and give them "not even a slip of paper."

They did such a poorly planned half-assed job. This is my new mission: RETURN EVERY ONE OF THOSE KIDS.

What idiots, they shipped them all over the country, what the hell? Was it to hide how many of them there are?

Did you see they actually put dark blankets over those 4 girls' heads in NY to hide them from the news cameras even though no one was videoing any of their faces? They moved the kids in the middle of the night.

This is not over!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think this pretty much sums up how much the Trump Administration really cares about this policy and doing the right thing regarding immigrant family separation. They can't spell separation

Affording Congress an Opportunity to Address Family Seperation'.

Link

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
I think this pretty much sums up how much the Trump Administration really cares about this policy and doing the right thing regarding immigrant family separation. They can't spell separation

Link

Melania's wardrobe isn't helping. (Autoplay video at link.)

The tl;dr version is she wore a jacket with "I really don't care do u?" on the back for her plane ride. Her spokesperson is saying there's no hidden message there, so we'll assume it's an honest statement.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score

The tl;dr version is she wore a jacket with "I really don't care do u?" on the back for her plane ride. Her spokesperson is saying there's no hidden message there, so we'll assume it's an honest statement.

When "womp womp" is too darn subtle for your base.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score

It would be funny if it weren't so horrible.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. This is a new tactic. If other countries hop on board this train, they'll box him in.

El Salvador says they won't issue travel documents to, or take back, any El Salvadorian citizens whom the U.S. attempts to return by deportation, unless they've got their kids with them and, apparently, have been granted hearings.

The government of El Salvador said Thursday it won’t accept back deportees from the U.S. unless it’s certain they have gone through the full legal process and have been reunited with their children...

Some will qualify for asylum but most will have their claims rejected and the U.S. will attempt to deport them.

But without travel documents those deportations can’t take place.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Interesting. This is a new tactic. If other countries hop on board this train, they'll box him in.

El Salvador says they won't issue travel documents to, or take back, any El Salvadorian citizens whom the U.S. attempts to return by deportation, unless they've got their kids with them and, apparently, have been granted hearings.

Interesting, though I fear the "hospitality" that will be enjoyed by the El Salvadorian citizens caught in the crossfire, here... assuming they aren't just dropped - possibly literally - to fend for themselves in the middle of Mexico. Or the Gulf.

Push comes to shove, I honestly think this regime would sooner shoot them all dead than play diplomatic games that they don't want to understand. They've already set up the "invasion" and "animal" narrative to sell it to the base, which is already foaming at the mouth and fondling their AR-15s.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Representative Adam Schiff has tweeted the Administration may separate families again

Link-Tweet