Dr. Philip Allen

Dr. Philip Allen

Registered
Reaction score
I retired early from academia at the age of 54. I'd been plonking away at a mystery novel for several years and decided that since I had no professional duties, I should finish it. The only issue was that the work was nearly 500 pages long which despite getting good reviews from beta readers meant that agents and publishers would not touch it. Due to the structure of the book, I didn't think I could just split it in two. So, I have just finished the second draft of a "Prequel" that is in the 80K to 82K word range that I am hoping to get published. I hope that if I get the prequel published then, publishers will take what is now the second work.

When not trying to write I grow mangoes, papaya, and other tropical fruit in my yard.

I live on the island of Guam but lived in Hing Kong for nearly 20 years

Last edited:

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to visit Hong Kong. Perhaps Guam, also.

Welcome to AW!

jeffschanz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffschanz.com
I feel your pain Doc. I spent 2 years writing my way cool novel, only to realize when it was done that I wrote close to 400k words. Did I do thaaaat? And all the agents say ... nah. So I busted it up into 3 Lord of the Rings sections, each around 130k. And all the agents say... nah. Can't blame 'em. Who wants a 3 book series that is completely dependent on the next book from a first time hack? Sooooo, I whipped up a whole new novel that should be a one-off, but... ah man I love my characters, so I'm already doing a sequel. Assuming my devoted screaming fans can't wait to devour those novels (stop laughing, it could happen) I figured maybe THEN and ONLY THEN would I have enough street cred to gift the world with my epic 3-booker. So those are on the shelf for now. Sad but, whacha gonna do? So my advice, if I have any, is to get that 80k novel out there, get some street cred, and then see where things lie. Its not going to hurt to get the 80k one out there at all. THen you can assess if you need to cook up something else for more cred, or break out the 500 page masterpiece. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Dr. Philip Allen

Registered
Reaction score
My prequel is actually made up of out-takes from the first work that have been reorganized and expanded. The new first book ends where the original work starts. What is strange, or perhaps a bit sad is that only the main villains and a couple of minor characters carry over into the second work. My primary hero never appears in the first work. BTW the first effort was 260K words which is a huge book for a murder mystery.

Last edited:

jeffschanz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffschanz.com
Yeah, dude. 260K won't fly with the public for a while. Get that other one done and out there. And once its all popular, then your "follow up" will just seem like a massive sequel. But I'd wait as long as you dare to push the 260K one. In my case, my 3-booker would just sit and collect digital dust if I tried to push it. It may anyway, but I'd rather give it the benefit of maybe a reputation before I try to convince folks to invest a few months of their lives to read that series.
If it helps... Sherlock Holmes was barely even in his first novel, A Study In Scarlet. The story was all about the Mormons. And Sherlock ended up doing all right. :Shrug:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Philip.

My mystery writing experience is similar. The amateur sleuth book in my signature below is a prequel to the sequel I'm s-l-o-w-l-y working on at the moment.

I'm heartened by the recent joining of several mystery writers. Again, :welcome:!

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW Philip, best of luck with your novels

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Guam? Fantatic. Our neighbors have a lot of family there, it sounds beautiful.

Welcome!