I heard there was cake?

jeffschanz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffschanz.com
Hidey ho, all. I'm Jeff, I'm new here (duh), and am hopefully better at writing fiction than I am introductory posts. I've written 4 novels, but only one that I'm ready to show the world. The others are a 3 part series that needs to marinate a little while and allow me to get some street cred before I subject the public to them. The current one is an urban fantasy. I don't have a set genre that I cling to, I write what I'm interested in and define it later (which tend to be sci-fi, urban fantasy, paranormal, action, romance. I'm a mutt). I'm glad to be a part of your community, and hope it'll be worthwhile to you to chat with me.

Dr. Philip Allen

Registered
Reaction score
Can't have cake because I'm losing weight. But you're welcome to some of the diet soda. Since we joined the same day it's our party, we can do what we want!

jeffschanz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffschanz.com
Dr. Phillip, that is my same situation. Steady diet of not eating, treadmilling, and writing to keep my mind busy. I almost forgot I was hungry. GD-it! Now I'm hungry. ;)
Helix... I noticed, hence the post. ;)

SimonTemplar

Registered
Reaction score
Dangit! Helix beat me to it! On top of all that I'm starting to get a complex with all these people joining that have written so many novels! :flag:

I better get moving, but then who would wax my cat?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Beginning Write

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa! I never knew about this cake thing! Greetings and I hope your AW experience allows you to have your cake and eat it too! :p

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The promise of cake :Cake: has long been a stock come-on. Same with coffee :e2coffee:. If you don't bring your own, you go without. However, valuable writing tips :e2writer: :e2BIC: are in abundance. :welcome:!

jeffschanz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffschanz.com
My jobsight is handing out cake today, and coffee is always free. I knew there was a reason I'm in this biz. That said... thanks for welcoming me! I'll be looking for either encouragement to forge ahead, or honest Simon Cowell advice to hang it up and get real. I snuck my website address in my bio questionnaire if anyone is curious. Great to be here!

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck with your work!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jeff!

Did you skip writers club this morning?

Otherwise you have a doppelgänger in Simi. :)

jeffschanz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffschanz.com
I think I missed the joke. I don't know what writers club is, and although I do live in SoCal, I don't live in Simi. But if the other Jeff is a successful kick-ass novelist, it may just worthwhile to impersonate him. ;)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
LOLs, no, I mean yes, but you two seem to be writing the same batch of stuff. (Well, he doesn't do vampires, his immortal demons are a little different ...)

I bet you're both kick-ass writers. :)

jeffschanz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffschanz.com
Patty, I appreciate the confidence, and I'll try to live up to it. :) The funny thing is my current novel is vampire, but that's not my normal thing. It just happened to be the story in my head that I needed to put down. As for immortal demons... maybe I should check out this doppelganger's work for myself. Got a full name, this imposter? ;)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think he has an online presence. :) That was why I thought you were him! Dipping in.

But if you aren't in a writer's group - there are a ton of them in SoCal. In fact there's a neat group I'm thinking of attending https://www.meetup.com/LASFS-Los-Angeles-Science-Fantasy-Society/ that's been active for over 80 years ... but there are tons of writers groups. Great way to get feedback on writing ... it looks like you're ahead of the curve on that already.

jeffschanz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffschanz.com
Patty, I only joined a few of these sites in the last week or two. I've been avoiding them because I thought it would involve too much time and too much cliquishness and snobbery. So far, I've been wrong. I just needed to find out if I belonged in this world, so I stuck my toe into it. As it stands, I've met several really genuinely encouraging people that have made me feel even better about what I'm doing. As long as that stands, I'll stick around. :)
I'm not such a fan of critiquing other folks work, but I don't mind at all reading them and giving general feedback. Liked it/hated it/was this even English? 30 years of critiques sours you on wanting to tear into someone else's passion.

jeffschanz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffschanz.com
Hey pholoto15:
My current one is an urban fantasy. I'm not normally big into that, but that was the story in my head, and BOOM that's what came out.

A Vampyre’s Daughter:
A troubled Army vet and a beautiful, lonely vampyre are drawn together on a desolate island. Their nightmarish pasts haunt them both, and their worst fears crash down upon them in blood and fire to destroy the fragile hope they cling to.

It's a mixture of romance, violence and some sex, with some humor as well. My usual interest is sci-fi/paranormal/action stuff, and I wrote a 3 book series with that, but those aren't likely to get interest from agents/publishers right now without some street cred, so this novel seemed like a nice starter.

How about you? Obviously you don't feel you have a defined genre, so what's your story/ies about?