R & R Etiquette Question -- Multiple Agents

lis_kb

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been working on an R & R based on feedback from an agent I would love to work with. We had talked about revisions over the phone, emailed back and forth about ideas, but at no point was my revision said to be exclusive to her. I let her know I had other agents who were interested as well, meanwhile I told those agents I would be rewriting and would let them know when it was ready.

So my question is --- When re-submitting the revised MS, what's good etiquette here? I don't have an exclusive with the revising agent but she has been incredibly helpful and has put time into me without any contracts. Plus, she's a badass and I would love to work with her. I have a few other agents, all good people as well, who are waiting on the revisions, one of which even nudged me recently saying she really wanted to see it.

My plan for now is to submit the revision to the first agent and give her two weeks lead time and let her know that after two weeks I will be sending it to the other agents who are also waiting. It seems bad form to write with her revisions and then submit them to all the agents at once. Courtesy seems like I would let her have some time with it first. But, what if she responds before the other agents get a chance to see it? Then that seems like bad etiquette in regards to the other agents and their expressed interest.

Suggestions? Thanks all!

s_nov

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh this is a tough one. I don't think you need to worry so much, since she didn't ask for an exclusive. She also knows other agents are interested and waiting for the revision. I think it's fine to send them out all at once. That way, even if she says no, you're not stuck in this pit of anxiety or at a dead end. I know it seems tricky but that's just the way the business runs. They all know that other agents are interested, so it shouldn't be a surprise when you send to more than one!

If you want to clarify, just ask the agent if she wants it as an exclusive or if it's okay if you send it out. It's a business. I highly doubt she'll ask for an exclusive, because agents don't want to waste our time, either!

DevelopmentExec

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's about etiquette so much as showing appreciation for what she's done for you, but I definitely think giving the agent who put in the time and energy to help you with the revisions despite not having an exclusive the two week exclusive window is the way to go, especially since you say she's a badass who you'd love to work with. If you end up sighing with her you can just explain to the other agents why you gave her first shot at the rewrite, and if she passes you're only delaying delivery by two weeks.

lis_kb

Registered
Reaction score
Quick! I need a tie-breaker opinion. (Ps. Thanks for your answers! I still keep going back and forth.)

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
Hey, I think I agree with s_nov. Even if the first agent offers rep on the revised MS, it's a good idea to then let the other agents have a chance to offer as well. You'll get that time ticking sooner if you submit the revised MS to them all now rather than waiting on the first agent's response. Does that make sense? You may still end up feeling that the first agent is the best choice, but you'll have been able to consider all your options most efficiently.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
It's easy. Submit elsewhere - no need to wait - but give the current agent the opportunity to counter if you get another offer.

lis_kb

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all! I might compromise and send it to the first agent first and then wait a day and send to the others. I know that doesn't make a difference but it makes me feel better, lol.