• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Name a book video

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I don't watch this show, but came across this video the other day - it's pretty discouraging... People on the streets of New York were asked to name the title of a book - any book... like the Bible, a Dictionary, 50 shades of Gray... literally ANY book. They came up with nothing.

https://youtu.be/wJdNrCeUdhc

At the end of the interview, he asked them to name the last book they read... and got Dr. Seuss... not even a title there.

It's hard to not be discouraged. To paraphrase Ray Bradbury, 'Books make people think, and thinking makes them sad, you don't want people to be sad, do you?' Thankfully I write for the sheer joy of it, and anything I earn off of it is just fun money. Still though... what the he11.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, that was funny, but it should be noted that videos like these are edited pretty heavily to garner exactly this kind of response. There was some kind of expose on the subject of how heavily edited those street videos are from the talk shows - if I can find it, I'll come back with the link.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Ha, that was funny, but it should be noted that videos like these are edited pretty heavily to garner exactly this kind of response. There was some kind of expose on the subject of how heavily edited those street videos are from the talk shows - if I can find it, I'll come back with the link.

You know - I truly hope you're right. I do know quite a few people who never read books.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I think an important qualifier to that is the word anymore.

Many people don't read books anymore.

And I'd add the #Metoo here, because up until about a 18 months ago, I'd stopped reading books altogether. I used to love to read though, and I know that even today, most people have read a book at some time in their lives. So, it doesn't mean people have never read a book before ever. They just haven't read recently that they can recall. Add to it the element of having a video camera recording and a microphone stuck in front of you, many people also tend to go deer in the headlights and can't even form a coherent sentence to save their lives.

But using those comedic videos that are posted to YouTube and shared on TV night talk shows - it's heavily edited for comedic effect, and we're missing the footage left on the cutting room floor because they don't want the people who say things like:

The Bible and Koran - those count right? What about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? I remember reading tons of Hardy Boys books as a kid but am drawing a blank on specific titles right now. Oh, there was that book about the dungeons and dragons that was made into a movie - Ring of Lords or something right? Wasn't that a book first? Then that new one about sex - Shades of Gray or something.

Finally, the editor cuts and says "Great, thanks a bunch" and it gets deleted because they don't want the world to see that.

Kind of makes me want to take my own video camera out on the street and ask the same question and see what kind of response I get...

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah. They are heavily edited, sometimes in a misleading way. I saw one where the interviewer was asking Americans who won the civil war. One woman answered "what civil war?" and this was included as an example of someone who was clueless, however it's a perfectly reasonable response.... America is not the only country that ever had a civil war! The interviewer was asking "who won the civil war", not "who won the American civil war".

Last edited: