How spaceships handle radiation -- what sf comes to mind?

CindyRae

Registered
Reaction score
Debating how deeply I want to handle the threat of radiation (cosmic radiation?) in my story where a transport ship travels a couple of years to bring colonists to a new planet.

Got any sf examples in mind that handle the threat of radiation in interstellar travel?

I can only think of Gould's _Exo_, where a space habitat was made of inner and outer bubbles with water trapped in between as a defense against solar radiation.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I remember Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson starts with a mishap with cosmic radiation. One that was manageable in the short term, but a sign of problems to come.

Ice and water shielding, and making sure the vessel is properly shadowed is a good starting point.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I remember Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson starts with a mishap with cosmic radiation. One that was manageable in the short term, but a sign of problems to come.

Ice and water shielding, and making sure the vessel is properly shadowed is a good starting point.

That's what I used - a water jacket around the whole interior.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Packing for Mars has a neat trick: Pack the food as your perimeter shield on the trip out, and the poop as your shield on the way back.

the.real.gwen.simon

Nuclear Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
I have a vague recollection of K.A. Applegate's Remnants series briefly describing the failure of the protective systems, I want to say in the second book. It was one of those rushed, fleeing a dying Earth scenarios, and the majority of the crew died in cryosleep before arriving. There was some stuff about the effect it had on the corpses, which got a little gruesome.

From an actual science perspective, even an inch of lead will work fantastically, but water is now and will always be my preferred solution to a too-many-zoomies problem. (See Chernobyl's graphite sheathes for reasons why solids can really screw you over.) The thing is that lead is a) heavy and b) itself toxic. You don't want your spaceship any heavier than it has to be if you have to get it off the ground and you don't want to fill it with something that you know is toxic without a really good reason and a modicum of assurance that it won't get into the food. You could thwart the heaviness if you build the ship in space and never have to break atmosphere, but the toxicity would require engineering an internal jacket to protect your crew from their protection.

And since NASA can't decide whether there is a small problem, a big problem, or no problem, you can do that part as big as you want. (Radiation studies are hideously complicated, and the sample sizes they are working with for their studies are, by necessity, too small to be accurately extrapolated onto the populace at large. Mostly what they are sure about is that the low-energy types of radiation in cosmic radiation (maybe) doesn't cause cancer, which (mostly) conflicts with what we already knew from bad decisions made in the middle part of the last century. Radiation is wild, y'all.)

You should note that the most extreme estimates have an annual dose of ~1Sv for (Unshielded) spaceflight, and that in 2000 the occupational limits dropped from 4Sv to 2Sv, lifetime. There is some talk that there is a greater threat to women, because of breast cancer and ovarian cancer, but there is exactly 0 scientific data to support that. Actually, there is 0 scientific research done on it, it's total speculation. Rough estimates and incomplete data suggest liver tumors (Of all things) are the most likely type.

I'm pretty sure this does not answer your initial question. Sorry.

CindyRae

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Not sure how much I'm going to increase the ship dangers to focus on radiation... got to go think.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
From an actual science perspective, even an inch of lead will work fantastically, but water is now and will always be my preferred solution to a too-many-zoomies problem.

The thing is that lead is a) heavy and b) itself toxic. You don't want your spaceship any heavier than it has to be if you have to get it off the ground and you don't want to fill it with something that you know is toxic without a really good reason and a modicum of assurance that it won't get into the food.

Gold is slightly better at screening out radiation than lead, and it's completely non-toxic. Unfortunately, it's also slightly heavier and just a wee mite pricier. :tongue