A match made on Google

timebider

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all.

Lately, I've been running a lot of writing-related searches (esoteric grammar questions, the difference between MG and YA, etc.) and Google keeps landing me here, so maybe this is where I belong?

I quit my fiction MFA in the thesis phase longer ago than mental health allows me to recall, but now I somehow find myself with a complete first draft of an upper middle-grade science fiction novel. Sci-fi was always my least favorite genre, and I certainly never saw myself writing for kids, so why not? Some other hats I wear: fruit and chicken hobby farmer, mom of two teens, and occasional volunteer and activist for assorted causes (mostly related to safe farming practices and helping kids). I'm also hoping to find my way back into riding (hunter/jumper) someday soon.

I've really missed being part of a community of people who know what it is to struggle literally for hours over word choice and placement. ;) Looking forward to learning from the wise folks here, making some new friends, and maybe even finding some reading partners!

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome timebider!

We're a good community, methinks, and I hope you are able to settle in nicely!

Grab a seat-- they're comfy!

:)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You'e going to fit in here just fine. We have at least one chicken hobby farmer, for instance. I like her! I bet I'll like you, too.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Interesting backstory. Having fresh fruit would be really cool!

Best of luck, and welcome to AW!

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Sci-fi was always my least favorite genre, and I certainly never saw myself writing for kids, so why not?

:ROFL:

That cracked me up. Welcome! This is a groovy place to talk process (my favorite thing to do) and give and get feedback. The collective knowledge here is mind-boggling.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
Hiya! My rule is always "write what you want to read," so I figure it doesn't matter too much if you don't like other sci fi as long as you like your own.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, best of luck

timebider

Registered
Reaction score
I really know how to make an entrance AND exit...I announced myself and then vanished, but I seem to have finally conquered the health problems that were responsible. Back now and wanted to say a very belated thanks to all for the warm welcome! :D

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
I really know how to make an entrance AND exit...I announced myself and then vanished, but I seem to have finally conquered the health problems that were responsible. Back now and wanted to say a very belated thanks to all for the warm welcome! :D

I'm glad you're feeling better!

A.graye

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, we all know what it's like to struggle for hours over word choice and placement. If you ask us to choose between two sentences, hopefully we won't say, "I dunno, they look the same to me."

Welcome.