Self-Publishing Feedback

sensei

Registered
Reaction score
As a writer myself (albeit in the more "boring" topics of business and operations), I've long thought about publishing a book but haven't gotten around to it, mainly due to the fear involved of time spent with very little return. I'm happy to write for myself (and I do!), but having done extensive research into the self-publishing landscape, the marketing and promotion aspects of book publishing remain my biggest hindrance.

Personally, I've discovered some of my favorite books through happenstance circumstances, with a large number of these books likely not having seen the light of day for many years. Some of these books are fantastic, yet due to a lack of awareness of their existence, I'm certain that the authors did not benefit monetarily from their endeavors. Haven't you ever come across a book that you love that none of your friends have heard of? I certainly don't think all aspects of the serendipity involved with discovery will ever be replaced, but I'd like to believe that in this day and age, the connections between readers and writers for discovery should be stronger.

Likewise, this means a lot of pieces that writers publish goes undiscovered -- but there is a audience out there that is willing to pay for to read what we write (I know, because I am such a reader). The question is how do we traverse this path of marketing and promotion to reach our yet-to-be-discovered audience?

I've put some thought into this and think there needs to be a better solution for self-published authors, that many of the current platforms don't satisfy. Would a direct-to-reader publishing platform and community (not unlike Goodreads, but with an equal emphasis on marketing and publishing for authors) be of interest to any of you? Would the ability to collaborate with readers to pre-determine buyer interest, beyond pre-orders, be useful? What types of tools / platforms / communities do you wish existed?

How do we empower authors? I'd love to hear your some of your thoughts and opinions.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
A new community would have the same issues as the old communities. The same few names will get promoted and the rest will sink. There are two things that would have helped me starting out. The first is more blogs willing to take review requests for self-published work. The second is marketing grants, because paid marketing is the thing I was cut off from using (crowdfunding requires already being popular, so it isn't the same as grants).

Most people aren't rich enough to set up a grants system. You also might not want to run a full review blog. But at a simple level, you can make sure you review the books on Goodreads (and Amazon if you're not an author in the same genre).

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
There's already a solution that means you can write without having to manage the marketing and promotional side: trade publishing. I'm really confused... you like the writing side and not the publishing side, but you're choosing to become a publisher and try to invent something that already exists?

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
What you want already exists. Online fiction repositories provide places for authors to write their work in episodic format, allowing readers to see it for free until it's done. At which point it can be left up or removed, depending on whether or not you want to go into Kindle Unlimited.

My new business model is to use these online fiction repositories as test beds for my stories.

And it WORKS. Holy shoop, does it work.

Well, for me, anyway. I came in from fanfiction so I'm comfy with this format, and know how to work with the crowd. Many of whom turn around and purchase the book when it comes out "for real."

Fair warning, YMMV. These places work best for people who can maintain a steady writing place and finish the stories they start... or keep them going indefinitely.

And it's working.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I had commented on this yesterday but deleted it because after re-reading the OP's post, I believe I didn't quite understand the gist. I agree with others that this stuff already exists, though I am always in support of more options for authors if they pay off well for them but it's a hard feat to create those outlets.

As for marketing and promotion, I don't care if you are trade published or not. You WILL have to promote your own book. It doesn't matter how you publish. Long gone are the days when an author could just write. We all have to promote that's if you're with a big house, medium or small house or on your own.

There is no way around that. I've been with trade houses and now I self-publish and I had to promote with publishers the same as I do now.

It's part of the job. Also, an author should want to do something for their own book. No one is gonna take more pride than you with your work so you should want to work hard to get it to sell.

I love the writing side too but when you decide to have your work published, it's no longer just writing but a business.

Also, who says these existing platforms don't work? Don't work for who? I'd beg to differ they work quite well for many people. What makes you think they don't work? I'm just curious.

Good luck to you! :)

Meow!

Last edited:

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could also do the legwork of building a newsletter platform full of readers in the genre you write. That would require you collecting the books in your genre on a weekly or monthly basis and promoting them (theoretically a long with your own work when you have any to promote). If you think such a service doesn't already exist, it could help you reach those readers.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Backlist sales make up a good proportion of a trade publisher's income: if more were done to market and promote those backlist books the sales impact could be huge. It could make all the difference for writers whose books struggle to sell in their first weeks on the market; it would have the potential to transform their lives and writing careers; it could make a significant increase in profitability, both for the writers and publishers concerned. It's such an obvious thing for them to do. And yet it's not done, and I don't understand why. Trade publishers have the skills and reach to do a really good job of this; and yet they don't.

Moving on to the OP's question: how would your proposals differ from what's available already? How would it improve on the current situation, and if it's such a great idea, why hasn't anyone done it already?

I'm not snarking by asking these questions: I'm interested to know how you plan to do this.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Backlist sales make up a good proportion of a trade publisher's income: if more were done to market and promote those backlist books the sales impact could be huge. It could make all the difference for writers whose books struggle to sell in their first weeks on the market; it would have the potential to transform their lives and writing careers; it could make a significant increase in profitability, both for the writers and publishers concerned. It's such an obvious thing for them to do. And yet it's not done, and I don't understand why. Trade publishers have the skills and reach to do a really good job of this; and yet they don't.

I saw in today's Publishers Lunch some discussion (at BEA, maybe?) about how publishers have neglected backlist and should reconsider that...do you think they'll ever do more than discuss it? It makes sense--it's a sunk cost, after all, and promoting the first book in a backlist series could have very lucrative results...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I saw in today's Publishers Lunch some discussion (at BEA, maybe?) about how publishers have neglected backlist and should reconsider that...do you think they'll ever do more than discuss it? It makes sense--it's a sunk cost, after all, and promoting the first book in a backlist series could have very lucrative results...

It's something I've been shouting about for a very long time--I can remember pushing for this in a job I had before my oldest child was born, and he's 22 now. It really does make sense to me, and I've had jobs where budgets and costs and sales defined what I could and couldn't do. There is very little upfront cost involved in promoting backlist, as the books are all already published and stocked in the warehouse. It makes such good business sense that I do not understand on any level why it's not done. And yet, and yet...

Excuse me while I go and shout into a black hole. Because that's what it feels like, sometimes. Seeing such an obviously brilliant business move and not being able to get anyone to pay attention to me.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
We pay attention to you.

And my bank account is fatter for it. Backlist is essential to my strategy.