Using em dashes instead of colons okay?

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
I write a lot of sentences with em dashes in the place of colons. This screenshot is how I see my usage of the em dash instead of a colon (a single em dash in a sentence, that is) as justified.

Selection_037.png

from https://www.pugetsound.edu/academic...-schedule/writing-resources/colon-and-dashes/

I know over-use of em dashes can be annoying. And I know it's okay to use em dashes parenthetically. (eg. He was going to the store—how was he to know?—when the storm hit.) And it's okay to use them to indicate interruption of dialogue, but sometimes I worry about using a single em dash in a sentence.

Here's some examples of how I use them like that (and this is for a humorous thriller):

Shelby, a rare female SEAL, had a chip on her shoulder the size of Mt. Everest—her parents killed on vacation when their catamaran was sunk by a Russian submarine.

Both SEALs knew Bull Gompers liked everything low-tech because Rear Admiral Bull Gompers was old school—and old.

Then she thought Earl was right—at least she was alive.

He was thinking, yeah, his parents were right—he should’ve been a proctologist.​

Is that sort of usage okay? Thanks.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Why would you use em-dashes like this, though? Why not use colons, which are correct? What does your text gain by this?

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Gregg,

I'm gonna guess you're editing, as I've seen a few posts with questions from you. I'm no expert, but I think I use em dashes instead of semi-colons.

I took a look at a few articles on my favorite editor's site link

The link has em dash in the search box, but you can look for some of the other specific questions you have too.

From what I saw, it does seem the em dashes were in pairs and used to set off certain phrases a comma wasn't strong enough for. I'll let Beth Hill explain it though.

;)

Best of luck with your writing!

EmmaSohan

Banned
Reaction score
Your sentences look fine. I think in the last two your dash is replacing a semicolon. In the second, it's just a break and no punctuation actually fits there. I might have used a period, but finding that sentence in a published book wouldn't draw my attention (and would look normal if it did draw my attention.)

Is that website useful? The dash is a tool, like the comma, period, ellipses, italics, etc. You have to discover how to use them to make your sentences better. Better = you like your sentence more. For example, your second sentence is working hard to be enjoyable to the reader. Normal grammar (no dash or any punctuation) wouldn't work. Your dash was a good choice to make that sentence work for me.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Why would you use em-dashes like this, though? Why not use colons, which are correct? What does your text gain by this?

Thanks Old Hack. I just don't like the way colons look. I do use them but very sparingly. Plus, the em-dash, as opposed to the colon, adds a little more punch to what follows it.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Gregg,

I'm gonna guess you're editing, as I've seen a few posts with questions from you. I'm no expert, but I think I use em dashes instead of semi-colons.

I took a look at a few articles on my favorite editor's site link

The link has em dash in the search box, but you can look for some of the other specific questions you have too.

From what I saw, it does seem the em dashes were in pairs and used to set off certain phrases a comma wasn't strong enough for. I'll let Beth Hill explain it though.

;)

Best of luck with your writing!

Hi Darien, Interesting in that you use the em-dashes for semi-colons. From what I understand the em-dashes are pretty flexible. Thanks for the link.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Your sentences look fine. I think in the last two your dash is replacing a semicolon. In the second, it's just a break and no punctuation actually fits there. I might have used a period, but finding that sentence in a published book wouldn't draw my attention (and would look normal if it did draw my attention.)

Is that website useful? The dash is a tool, like the comma, period, ellipses, italics, etc. You have to discover how to use them to make your sentences better. Better = you like your sentence more. For example, your second sentence is working hard to be enjoyable to the reader. Normal grammar (no dash or any punctuation) wouldn't work. Your dash was a good choice to make that sentence work for me.

Thanks a lot, Emma. I feel comfortable with em-dashes. Maybe because they fit my style of writing. Although I will use colons now and then, I just don't like they way they look. Same goes for semi-colons. To me they seems stodgy, old-fashioned even. I mean, they're fine but I think for the kind of books I'm writing (humorous genre fiction), the em-dashes work much better. Thanks for the feedback on the sentences. And I like your "Better = you like your sentence more" equation. That's a keeper.

Unfortunately, my balky computer wasn't letting me into that link, nor yours. I'll try again later. Appreciate the help.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Gregg, I agree semi-colons feel old fashioned, but I do use them sparingly. I have to admit, when I edit, I end up getting rid of a lot of em dashes. They seem to fly off my fingertips when I'm writing.

Too much of anything can stand out, but I do like how directly em dashes seem to connect thoughts.

I can PM the link if you can't get it to work, or you can look it up: theeditorsblog (dot) net.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Gregg, I agree semi-colons feel old fashioned, but I do use them sparingly. I have to admit, when I edit, I end up getting rid of a lot of em dashes. They seem to fly off my fingertips when I'm writing.

Too much of anything can stand out, but I do like how directly em dashes seem to connect thoughts.

I can PM the link if you can't get it to work, or you can look it up: theeditorsblog (dot) net.

Hi Darien. I got the site to work. Very interesting site. Thanks. And yeah, the emdashes can multiply like rabbits. I have to keep them in check. And yeah, they are very noticeable. I guess, it's a question of what you want the page to look like.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
It's a great site, Gregg! Taught me tons. Inspired me as well, lots of articles to boost new eyes! Really, really helped me.

While editing, I just found a sentence that could probably be a comma, but I prefer the em dash, as it makes it feel like an aside. Perhaps even functioning as parenthesis.
I'm not against a comma, as stated, I cut em dashes all the time.

He always wore khaki pants with a light-blue dress shirt—probably the least artistic outfit in the world.

:)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Punctuation conventions, like grammar conventions, evolved to facilitate clarity in communication. If you want to use something out of the ordinary for punctuation, you need to have, and demonstrate for the reader, a good reason for doing so.

caw

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
It's a great site, Gregg! Taught me tons. Inspired me as well, lots of articles to boost new eyes! Really, really helped me.

While editing, I just found a sentence that could probably be a comma, but I prefer the em dash, as it makes it feel like an aside. Perhaps even functioning as parenthesis.
I'm not against a comma, as stated, I cut em dashes all the time.

:)

Yep, that emdash works in your sentence.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Punctuation conventions, like grammar conventions, evolved to facilitate clarity in communication. If you want to use something out of the ordinary for punctuation, you need to have, and demonstrate for the reader, a good reason for doing so.

caw

Like Hemingway's 'if you want to break the rules you have to know the rules'?

Crows are coming back in my neighborhood.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Semicolons are okay in formal writing. But for genre fiction they look so old school.

I wouldn't use them in dialogue but I have in descriptive/other paragraphs. The only times I wouldn't is when a sentence has gotten too long and needs to be broken up; then, a period would be correct.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Semicolons are okay in formal writing. But for genre fiction they look so old school.

You should maybe read more? They are more common in the last ten years than they were in the previous ten years. This is true in terms of magazines and newspapers as well as in terms of genre fiction.

If they're used appropriately, many readers don't even notice semicolons.

I tend to think of punctuation marks as road signs and traffic signals. This is odd, given that I can't drive . . .

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Semicolons are okay in formal writing.

Agreed. They're also great punctuation in short stories and novels for those who know how to use them.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I use both depending on what I think is required at any given time. I certainly don't consider this an either/or issue.

CJMatthewson

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to use em dashes a lot. I think it's quite effective and being used more than the colon nowadays (at least according to my creative writing tutor). Just try not to overuse them.

As far as I'm aware, they're quite frowned upon in critical writing though, so watch out if that's where you're venturing.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Tired editor here.

Is that sort of usage okay? Thanks.

Yes, it is okay, but it makes the writing choppy and too much chop can be annoying to a reader. I suggest thinning out as many as possible.

Do a global search and count how many are in your work. It may surprise you.

I have a tendency to use them as well, then go back and edit out as many as possible. I leave in only the ones that are absolutely necessary to achieve a specific effect. The effect loses its impact with overuse.

I have to work harder as a writer, but that's part of the job.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Tired editor here.

Yes, it is okay, but it makes the writing choppy and too much chop can be annoying to a reader. I suggest thinning out as many as possible.

Do a global search and count how many are in your work. It may surprise you.

I have a tendency to use them as well, then go back and edit out as many as possible. I leave in only the ones that are absolutely necessary to achieve a specific effect. The effect loses its impact with overuse.

I have to work harder as a writer, but that's part of the job.

Em-dashes do tend to proliferate. I'm going to keep a critical eye out for them on my next pass through my manuscript. Thanks.