• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Algonkian Novel Writing Courses

winterlight

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a new writer with a novel in need of revision (what a surprise). I've been aware of this course— http://novelwriting.algonkianconferences.com — for some time, as a result of searching for writers' conferences. I wasted a ton of money 2 yrs ago on a couple of traditional conferences, won't do that again (both had a great reputation, were in academic settings, lots of nice trees, didn't learn much). This course, by comparison, is cheap at $800, and looks to be a lot of work (which is as it should be, if you ask me). I'm also impressed by the fact that they don't seem to do a lot of marketing (I'm on a lot of lists, and they have never emailed me). I realize that there is some online controversy about Michael Neff, but I am only looking for information from people who have experience with this course. Is there anything I should know before signing up? AW is the best source on this kind of thing, so I'm checking here first. Grateful for any and all info.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
The conference will always be there, so no hurry about shoving money at it just yet.

For 800 bucks I know an editor who will tell you what your writing may of may not need. Actually, she'll do it for 25.00 and you will get more than your money's worth, tailored just for you.

I did a short search on Neff + scam and found this. ( ;) )

This from 2007.

This from AW. (Search for Neff's name.)

There are plenty of conflicting opinions. Since to me 800 is a LOT of money, I'd be cautious and patient. Impatience is the friend of many a scammer. Not saying that Neff is a scammer, but what he does just may not be a good fit for everyone.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to learn how to revise a completed novel, the best online course I know is "Self Editing for Fiction Writers", which is taught by Debi Alper and Emma Darwin. I think it's run by Jericho Writers. It's had all sorts of successes. And it costs a lot less than $800.