Things just got serious

SimonTemplar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, glad to be here, but I have to say that I hate writing. So if I can admit I hate to write why can't I just live a peaceful life with a normal job, spending time with my kids, and petting my dog? Why is that such a difficult thing to have sink into my stubborn mind? *sigh* My brain just can't stop the ideas. To make matters worse, despite my best efforts to be a software engineer, the fact that I have a degree in English and can sling a sentence together means I'm a technical writer everywhere I go. I'm coming to accept it now. I even accidentally fell into being a 'professional writer' by selling a tech book--I can't even remember the title which is embarrassing when it comes up in conversation. It actually taunts me in a way because what I really want to do is write SF/fantasy. I feel 'dirty' because I published the 'wrong' thing =)

Well, I blame my grandma (who wants to blame grandma?) because she was an award-winning journalist and infected me at an early age. I actually won a state competition in 2nd grade--do you know how depressing it is to think that you peaked at age 7? So it's time to get serious. Grandma, (yes, the same grandma) who is now 93 just told me to do her a 'big' favor and send her my short story when I get published. I have no idea how long she has left...I guess I better get my butt in the chair. I'm going to need help so thanks in advance!

p.s. Am I the only one that has panic attacks about grammar/punctuation? I seriously can't remember any of that being taught in public school. My aversion to writing should not be due to panic attacks while attempting to use commas.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:
Best of luck going forward Simon. Plenty of great advice to be found in the forums.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That darned Grandma! She had no idea the misery she'd give you, I bet.

A pleasure to have you here. You're among kindred people. Only non-writers think it isn't hard work.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Saint Simon.

I have fond memories of four years of grad school at Idaho State University (Go, Bengals!) in Pocatello and exploring Idaho all along the Snake River.

Got your spuds in?

SimonTemplar

Registered
Reaction score
Nice! I just moved here 2 years ago and I'm loving it so far. Although since I'm in Boise I miss big mountains and forests--have to travel a bit for those.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I just checked out some Boise photos on Google and it looks like a little paradise. Very idyllic.

Nice! : D

SimonTemplar

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely can't complain. I did hear recently that it was the fastest growing city in the US so it may become harder to hold on to our paradise. I'll enjoy it while I can!