Minimum word count for YA

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
What do you think is the minimum length of a YA novel? I've tried to go searching on the interwebs for an answer and have found so many varying answers that I'd like to hear your input. I have seen some say 50k-80k. Others said 40k-100k. Some said 60k-120k. I know it's very subjective, but I'd like to know what you guys think the minimum a YA should hit and the maximum it should not exceed (except in rare cases of course). The novel I'm currently querying has fallen in a nice sweet spot of about 75k, but the one I'm currently working on I'm thinking might be a little bit shorter so I want to make sure it's not going to be TOO short.

bippedybop

Registered
Reaction score
Mine is currently 56k. I'm hoping to add a few more thousand words while editing and slide in at the low end of the range. I understand the range is there to sell, but I feel like if the plot is complete and the characters are more than caricatures and have well thought-out backstories, then I don't see the advantage in adding a bunch of meaningless words. Just my opinion

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
Mine is currently 56k. I'm hoping to add a few more thousand words while editing and slide in at the low end of the range. I understand the range is there to sell, but I feel like if the plot is complete and the characters are more than caricatures and have well thought-out backstories, then I don't see the advantage in adding a bunch of meaningless words. Just my opinion

That's definitely how I feel too, but I know I can also go back and flesh out some small parts in the beginning if I need to do so. I'm thinking this one will probably end up around 56k, so I'm hoping to maybe hit the 60k range to be safe.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The answer will depend on the genre. Contemporary novels can be much shorter than fantasy or sci-fi novels. 56K is okay for contemp, but would be too short for spec fic.

AsTheWorldFallsDown

Registered
Reaction score
I try and keep mine in between 50k and 100k. I feel like because I'm writing YA fantasy I can go over the word count slightly but anything under 50k seems too short to me.
But it all depends on what sub-genre you're writing for. Is it fantasy? Adventure? Contemporary? Drama? Because a YA Science Fiction novel will be a lot longer than a contemporary YA novel. I'd say stick between 50k - 100k and only go over if you really need to.

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a place that lists the word count of books? I feel like most YA I read is surely over 100k, but most advice seems to be to aim for something that strikes me as a little short so maybe my guesses are wildly out.

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
@pingle there's Renaissance, which seems pretty accurate.

I've generally heard YA shouldn't go below 50,000, but then there are exceptions to every rule.

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
Mine is a YA Fantasy but I realized last night while laying in bed that I completely skipped a scene I had planned. So my guess on my end word count is a little off currently XD

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
60-120K is probably accurate for fantasy.

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
60-120K is probably accurate for fantasy.

Perfect. I think with the scenes I forgot and need to add, as well as finishing out the rest of the plot, I will be, at the very least, at 60k. I'm really excited for this one, even more so than the novel I'm currently querying XD
So I want to make sure I don't screw a single thing up that can easily be fixed. I've seen twitter agents using the tenqueries hashtag reject a manuscript for being too short even when they liked the concept.