Hello, Fellow Writers

JimJam

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I'm an admitted geezer who has made a career out of stringing words together in newspapers, short stories, magazine features, and columns, as well as nine nonfiction books published between 1976 and 2013. As for job titles, I've had a few: reporter, city editor, sports editor, managing editor, feature writer, and columnist. I also spent three and a half decades as editor of a national magazine with a peak readership of some half-million souls. In my spare time (yeah, right!) I taught English, journalism, creative writing, short fiction, and advanced composition at three Midwestern universities.

Now officially retired but still writing daily, I've just completed my first novel (a murder mystery) that has roots in the pulp fiction crime stories I began selling to men's magazines as a college student in the 1960s. By the way, I met my future wife in high school. We married in our late teens and are the parents of four, grandparents of eight, and great grandparents of two. On this forum I'm looking to swap and ideas, information, and advice with other writers who love reading and producing the written word. I especially hope to hear from fellow crime fiction buffs who are cranking out stories and books of their own (fiction or nonfiction), but I'm happy to talk with anyone who's engaged in the ongoing war against empty pages.

JimJam

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Hey, Jim. A recovering reporter/editor myself, I also write new pulp and fantasy noir among other things. Welcome to the forums and look forward to visiting with you in the future.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, can you be my mentor please? :greenie

Seriously, welcome! You're very distinguished and I'm more than impressed.

Hopefully you settle in nicely!

Cheers! : D

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JimJam,

Some parallels to our long lives. I'll be 77 next month but am only semi-retired as most days I edit novels and anthologies, usually for longtime repeat clients.

I spent all of the '60s in the US Army, then taught English in Montana colleges for twenty-six years--keeping a hand in the writing game with texts and columns for two newspapers.

Another crime fiction buff here, my current free time is spent on the sequel for the mystery novel below.

:welcome:, and I very much hope to see more of you. :greenie

JimJam

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! Goodness, you've had a life! I'm in awe :D

Hi, Dimeliorat. No argument I've been blessed. It's amazing what a bit of writing talent, discipline, and a long life can produce when you're willing to put in long hours at the keyboard. Thanks for being the first to say "Hello."

JimJam

Registered
Reaction score
Same here, Richard. Looking forward to visiting with a veteran of newsroom trench warfare.

JimJam

Registered
Reaction score
Uh, can you be my mentor please? :greenie

Seriously, welcome! You're very distinguished and I'm more than impressed.

Hopefully you settle in nicely!

Cheers! : D

Thanks for the welcome, Daniel. I'm anxious to learn my way around AW.

JimJam

Registered
Reaction score
Parallels, For Sure!

JimJam,

Some parallels to our long lives. I'll be 77 next month but am only semi-retired as most days I edit novels and anthologies, usually for longtime repeat clients.

I spent all of the '60s in the US Army, then taught English in Montana colleges for twenty-six years--keeping a hand in the writing game with texts and columns for two newspapers.

Another crime fiction buff here, my current free time is spent on the sequel for the mystery novel below.

:welcome:, and I very much hope to see more of you. :greenie

I'm glad our paths have crossed. Let's keep in touch.

pholoto15

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I'm an admitted geezer who has made a career out of stringing words together in newspapers, short stories, magazine features, and columns, as well as nine nonfiction books published between 1976 and 2013. As for job titles, I've had a few: reporter, city editor, sports editor, managing editor, feature writer, and columnist. I also spent three and a half decades as editor of a national magazine with a peak readership of some half-million souls. In my spare time (yeah, right!) I taught English, journalism, creative writing, short fiction, and advanced composition at three Midwestern universities.

Now officially retired but still writing daily, I've just completed my first novel (a murder mystery) that has roots in the pulp fiction crime stories I began selling to men's magazines as a college student in the 1960s. By the way, I met my future wife in high school. We married in our late teens and are the parents of four, grandparents of eight, and great grandparents of two. On this forum I'm looking to swap and ideas, information, and advice with other writers who love reading and producing the written word. I especially hope to hear from fellow crime fiction buffs who are cranking out stories and books of their own (fiction or nonfiction), but I'm happy to talk with anyone who's engaged in the ongoing war against empty pages.

JimJam

I'm not much of a crime fiction reader (or writer) but I feel like so much can be learned from you. You ooze both life and writing experience. Welcome sir.

jeffschanz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffschanz.com
Welcome! I'm an outsider to the world of words as I'm a visual artist by trade, but writing my novels has me hooked and I'm trying to muscle my way into the field. Hopefully none of that matters as long as you can spin a yarn. On we write -- huzzah!