Genera Requirements Of Horror?

Xenia

Registered
Reaction score
What needs to be in a horror story to make it a horror story? Is there a difference between a horror story and an intense/frightening drama? Is the presence of enough disturbing material in and of itself enough to justify labeling a work as horror?

Im really interested to hear what people think.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are similarities between the two genres, but for me the broad-strokes difference boils down to this: a horror story is meant to frighten and shock, and a thriller is meant to intrigue and excite.

Horror can also have fantasy elements (e.g. monsters), which you don't usually find in thrillers.

fenyo

Registered
Reaction score
I think that a horror story is a type of intense/frighting drama that has a horror element to it.

It can be a supernatural monster or metaphysics powers. It can also be a very graphic and visual elements that create a sense of horror.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I think the main thing of a horror story is what they're aiming to make the reader feel. Horror, fear, anxiety, despair, disgust, for example.

I've seen stories that were rightly classified as horror that had no monsters, no blood, but they invoked in the reader a kind of existential dread. I can't remember the name of it, but I read a story once that was about a man going about his daily routine. That was it. He got up, watered his plants, went to work, came home, and went to bed to do it all over again the next day. Simple, boring, you might think. But the way it was written just filled the reader with constant anxiety and despair, like the MC was constantly living on the edge of taking his own life, but it would never give him that last push. I'll have to find it to recommend it, it's hard to describe.

fenyo

Registered
Reaction score
I think the main thing of a horror story is what they're aiming to make the reader feel. Horror, fear, anxiety, despair, disgust, for example.

I've seen stories that were rightly classified as horror that had no monsters, no blood, but they invoked in the reader a kind of existential dread. I can't remember the name of it, but I read a story once that was about a man going about his daily routine. That was it. He got up, watered his plants, went to work, came home, and went to bed to do it all over again the next day. Simple, boring, you might think. But the way it was written just filled the reader with constant anxiety and despair, like the MC was constantly living on the edge of taking his own life, but it would never give him that last push. I'll have to find it to recommend it, it's hard to describe.

I suppose that horror, like many things, are very subjective. and for some people getting up every day, go to work, come home and doing it all over again day after day, can be quite horrifying ;)

R.A. Lundberg

Registered
Reaction score
Horror typically involves a strong element of intense dread, fear, and shocking or frightening situations. While thrillers and dramas can and sometimes do have some of the elements of horror (think a police procedural where the victim is dismembered) that's not the primary focus.
Simple litmus test: are you trying to scare the crap out of your reader? Give them nightmares? Make them think twice about walking into the dark room or using a food processor or going to the DMV? If so, than yeah, it's Horror. If not, it's something else.

Xenia

Registered
Reaction score
Is "The Library Policeman" by Steven King possibly the story you are thinking of?

Scythian

Registered
Reaction score
I think a horror and a thriller may have the same plot, but the atmosphere is different. Horror as a genre allows for existential dispair, people being mean and stupid, life making no sense, society being broken, and a transcedental hopelessness, which one doesn't really meet in other genres aside from existentialist literary fiction. Whereas in a thriller book with the same plot, the overal atmosphere would be more life-affirming.
This, I think, is the difference between 'horror' and 'suspense'.
Not counting splatterpunk, where the cartoonish gore is a thing in itself, which also has a parallel only in posmodernism.
Horror is the place where philosophically terrible or cartoonishly terrible stuff happens, which, outside of horror, is only really "allowed" in "serious literature".