What is your novel about?

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
My novel is about a young Palestinian nurse making a lot of bad choices in a world where he hasn't got any. Living under neo-Zionist occupation isn't easy, see, and when your wife is an ice queen, your best friend a sociopath, and your pimp owns your dad, not living at all sounds dope.

NateCrow

Registered
Reaction score
Thrown into a world of conspiracy and deceit, a man fights to protect his family from a mysterious and unseen force that causes him to question his own reality.

Jjanejayne

Registered
Reaction score
Which one? I have written quite a few.

I recently submitted one called Petrov Vosolotov is Missing! It's about an adventurous European Head of State who goes missing while on a hiking trip in the United States. I sent out queries the week that Patterson/Clinton came out with their The President is Missing. I've read their book. It's nothing like mine, but I've been hesitant to sent out any more queries because of the similarity in name and the fact that mine is also about a missing head of state.

I've only sent two queries, and I've sidelined that one, at least briefly. I'm currently editing a ghost story, of sorts, that I wrote several years ago. It's called Carnival of Venice and it's about a rock music magazine reporter who is knocked out in a brawl, and 'dreams' about meeting her soul mate, and seeing him murdered in cold blood. When she wakes up, she has a hard time believing it was all a dream, and an even harder time putting out of her mind. Especially when she learns the man of her dreams actually did exist, and was murdered during Carnivale in Venice, ten years earlier.

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I'm working my way through a series of 5 novels (currently working on number 2) called Extinction. The series is about the end of humanity and what comes after.

Shalon

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here's my pitch! Please tell me if it's working. And of course, I'll tell you if yours is as well!

Two children separated by a wall break all the rules to befriend each other. They must overcome suicidal robots, telepathic aliens, a deadly virus and their parents' worst fears to do the right thing in a world full of wrong.

Shalon

Registered
Reaction score
Thrown into a world of conspiracy and deceit, a man fights to protect his family from a mysterious and unseen force that causes him to question his own reality.

Nate, I think it's a bit too vague. There is also some redundancy: conspiracy and deceit, as well as mysterious and unseen.

Can you find more concrete adjectives to describe the world. Things that bring up an image? Everything here is... just vague ideas. Try to evoke an image, maybe, and that might help.

Shalon

Registered
Reaction score
My novel is about a young Palestinian nurse making a lot of bad choices in a world where he hasn't got any. Living under neo-Zionist occupation isn't easy, see, and when your wife is an ice queen, your best friend a sociopath, and your pimp owns your dad, not living at all sounds dope.

I like it! Right away there are some surprising bits. First the nurse is a male, not female. Like that as it turns us on our head, and immediately makes the story more 'real'. Then the lot of bad choice in a world where he doesn't have any... great paradox.

The second part is trying to be funny, but there are some awkward bits that made me stumble. When your wife is an ice queen, your best friend a sociopath, and "your" pimp owns your dad... who is "your" pimp? The guy is a nurse, so whey does he have a pimp... so confusing. Why not just "a" pimp. Might be more easy to read.

Also, ice queen and sociopath are so.... cliche. They don't say much. Just like you did with the pimp owning your dad description, can you find similar short ways of describing the ice queen and the sociopath? Ways that demonstrate their behaviour, rather than labeling it. Best if it's a strong evocative image, and also best if you can write parallel.

eg. ...your wife sleeps in the living room, your best friend kills dogs for fun, and a pimp owns your dad.

NateCrow

Registered
Reaction score
Nate, I think it's a bit too vague. There is also some redundancy: conspiracy and deceit, as well as mysterious and unseen.

Can you find more concrete adjectives to describe the world. Things that bring up an image? Everything here is... just vague ideas. Try to evoke an image, maybe, and that might help.

Thanks for the input, you’re right that it’s kind of vague. It was just off the top of my head and I was trying to fit it all in one sentence and make it sound dramatic. How about this?...

A man haunted by terrifying and surreal visions is forced to make a choice about who to trust. Now locked away in a secret government installation, he looks to find the truth before his daughter falls victim to this same mysterious force.

Two children separated by a wall break all the rules to befriend each other. They must overcome suicidal robots, telepathic aliens, a deadly virus and their parents' worst fears to do the right thing in a world full of wrong.

I like it. It sounds like these kids really have their work cut out for them.

Shalon

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, you’re right that it’s kind of vague. It was just off the top of my head and I was trying to fit it all in one sentence and make it sound dramatic. How about this?...

A man haunted by terrifying and surreal visions is forced to make a choice about who to trust. Now locked away in a secret government installation, he looks to find the truth before his daughter falls victim to this same mysterious force.

This is MUCH better. There is still something vague about it, but generally it's a lot better because it's more concrete. Can you describe one of his visions with more concrete adjectives? Surreal and terrifying are also redundant (mean basically the same or similar thing) and it could be better with something more concrete. Visions of what?

Also, how does he look to find the truth? What is a concrete action he takes to find the truth? Try to bring in as many concrete image-based nouns and adjectives as possible.

JakeSTamer

Registered
Reaction score
For my WIP. It's a love story between a 1200 year old sex goddess and a mortal woman who learns that she is destined to be transformed into another sex goddess. Then finds out that she must spend 300 years in the distant past to save the love of her life and her sister sex goddesses from extinction.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I like it! Right away there are some surprising bits. First the nurse is a male, not female. Like that as it turns us on our head, and immediately makes the story more 'real'. Then the lot of bad choice in a world where he doesn't have any... great paradox.

The second part is trying to be funny, but there are some awkward bits that made me stumble. When your wife is an ice queen, your best friend a sociopath, and "your" pimp owns your dad... who is "your" pimp? The guy is a nurse, so whey does he have a pimp... so confusing. Why not just "a" pimp. Might be more easy to read.

Also, ice queen and sociopath are so.... cliche. They don't say much. Just like you did with the pimp owning your dad description, can you find similar short ways of describing the ice queen and the sociopath? Ways that demonstrate their behaviour, rather than labeling it. Best if it's a strong evocative image, and also best if you can write parallel.

eg. ...your wife sleeps in the living room, your best friend kills dogs for fun, and a pimp owns your dad.
Thanks for your feedback :)
He's a licensed nurse by profession, but can't practice under current circumstances as half his people had to learn to take care of themselves, and the other half expects such work to be voluntary given the circumstances. Hence he has made different "choices", which also stuck him with said pimp.
I picked the profession for him for 3 reasons. One, the character was originally based on a crush I had in real life, who was going to become a nurse. The other is that I simply admire nurses for the intimately and inherently nurturing, kindly work they do. I wanted this caring nature to be part of the character's personality and couldn't think of a better profession to represent that. Especially since he's too young to be a vet, and animals kinda didn't feel right for him.
The third reason is that I wanted him to be the opposite of the macho man. Nurturing, gentle, sensitive. For one, because I like men like that. But also, the character is Arab, a culture which my own people, for whom I have mainly written this book, parade around as the bad guys, and his profession helped me as an anchor to write AWAY from the stereotypes Arab men have to deal with. I often worried that any anger outburst, any time his hand slipped (across a face), any time he shut down his wife in an argument or kicked a dog, readers already prejudiced against Arabs might feel reinforced. I hated the thought of creating another cliché for racists to gobble up. Where I'm from, negative stereotypes against Arab men are more prevalent than anywhere else, and I didn't want to risk feeding them. I can literally NEVER date an Arab man without my friends and family warning me that I'm signing up for domestic abuse, simply because the dude is Arab/Bedouin/Druze.

As for the ice queen and sociopath, I admit those are a copied sentence from my tiny flyers that can't hold much text...

Last edited:

NoirSuede

Running gags aren't for me
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here's my pitch! Please tell me if it's working. And of course, I'll tell you if yours is as well!

That story sounds suspiciously like an anime, but I forgot which one...
Aside from that, yeah it's pretty good, though it could accidentally implicate to the reader that the story has the "Flood Syndrome" the Halo games (and Far Cry and also Crysis) have where they'd suddenly introduce a new villain half-way through that's completely unrelated to the previous villain and has absolutely no warning beforehand, since the deadly virus doesn't seem related at first glance to the aliens and the robots.

Anyways here's mine:

A blob who has never seen any other blob before in its life accidentally caught its top on fire after a close encounter with a savanna fire, and now has to figure out how to deal with all the blobs that seem to be attracted to it day and night, no matter how hard it tries to shake them off....

Last edited:

PhoenixFlower

Registered
Reaction score
That story sounds suspiciously like an anime, but I forgot which one...
Aside from that, yeah it's pretty good, though it could accidentally implicate to the reader that the story has the "Flood Syndrome" the Halo games (and Far Cry and also Crysis) have where they'd suddenly introduce a new villain half-way through that's completely unrelated to the previous villain and has absolutely no warning beforehand, since the deadly virus doesn't seem related at first glance to the aliens and the robots.

Anyways here's mine:

A blob who has never seen any other blob before in its life accidentally caught its top on fire after a close encounter with a savanna fire, and now has to figure out how to deal with all the blobs that seem to be attracted to it day and night, no matter how hard it tries to shake them off....

I would try to shorten it up a bit and remove some of the extra wordage. For example words like "accidentally" and the stuff about the Savanna don't seem to be the main focus of your novel. If you cut them I think it would have a much stronger pitch. (However that is just my opinion and I am terrible at this things so take my advice with a grain of salt).

My Pitch... One Sentence Pitch: "A girl with no name is forced to listen to an ancient tale about how a new type of magic was born into the world."

If that hooks them I follow with: "In a story about discovering your true self, a young Inquisitor who despises magic, must come to terms with who she is as a mage."

NoirSuede

Running gags aren't for me
Registered
Reaction score
I would try to shorten it up a bit and remove some of the extra wordage. For example words like "accidentally" and the stuff about the Savanna don't seem to be the main focus of your novel. If you cut them I think it would have a much stronger pitch. (However that is just my opinion and I am terrible at this things so take my advice with a grain of salt).

My Pitch... One Sentence Pitch: "A girl with no name is forced to listen to an ancient tale about how a new type of magic was born into the world."

If that hooks them I follow with: "In a story about discovering your true self, a young Inquisitor who despises magic, must come to terms with who she is as a mage."
does the nameless girl and the Inquisitor have anything to do with each other?

PhoenixFlower

Registered
Reaction score
does the nameless girl and the Inquisitor have anything to do with each other?

They do :). Both can use the same kind of magic. It is really hard to get my book across in just a couple of sentences. But the ancient tale is about the Inquisitor which links to the little girl.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Novel in the making (3 pages in and already screeched to a clueless halt):

Jonas and Lior work in a Berlin-based design office. Jonas is tethered to an abusive father and a cynical mother, and Lior is a (very) strong-minded trans woman from Israel who has tremendous impact on Jonas' confidence. One day, Lior disappears; everything points towards kidnapping. Jonas has to find courage where none was allowed to grow, and he and Lior's pet wolf hybrid set out on a journey to find her. But to get anywhere, they both have to shed their pet nature.

But for now, they're just splashing about in a lake and I don't know how to proceed.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Just a note: This is not the place to critique pitches. For critiques on short pitches, you might try one of the Twitches threads in SYW (50 posts not required). This is a thread for sharing about the novels you've been working on.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
I can't offer ya'll a decent synopsis. Still working on the major conflict and how it'll weave itself throughout the trilogy. However, I find synopsis' help me keep track of my progress, so i can give ya'll what I've worked out so far:

Thirteen year old Anora is ripped away from her home on earth and forced to study on the planet, Zara, in a parallel world to find her place in society.

Not very experienced with synopsis' but i'm proud of it so far :) Just gonna keep chipping away at this project!!! :D

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
I can't offer ya'll a decent synopsis. Still working on the major conflict and how it'll weave itself throughout the trilogy. However, I find synopsis' help me keep track of my progress, so i can give ya'll what I've worked out so far:

Thirteen year old Anora is ripped away from her home on earth and forced to study on the planet, Zara, in a parallel world to find her place in society.

Not very experienced with synopsis' but i'm proud of it so far :) Just gonna keep chipping away at this project!!! :D

Sounds interesting enough to me. I couldn't help but think of the store Zara--not that there's anything wrong with either the name or the store. I have to work on my synopsis myself, it is a work a progress.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
What I'm working on:

Aelfinn, a teenage prince in exile, finds himself representing his country in a foreign court when the ambassador is murdered. But the murders continue, and Aelfinn must battle a shadowy organization out for revenge on his whole family.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds interesting enough to me. I couldn't help but think of the store Zara--not that there's anything wrong with either the name or the store. I have to work on my synopsis myself, it is a work a progress.

AAA I just realized that!!! I chose it for the meaning, but i guess i can either find a name with another meaning or leave it!

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely had to look up the meaning once you said that but it is a nice name. You could also call it Planet Z for short lol but Zara sounds better.

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
Dreams and the power of fantasy over reality.

I'm into it.

Right now I'm working on a YA epistolary novel where a girl's diary is found and she corresponds with a mystery writer. They get closer as their writing gets more intimate, but her friends and family are worried about her divulging her personal life to someone she doesn't know.

(Yes, I do like the show Catfish.)