What is your novel about?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dreams and the power of fantasy over reality.

So no characters? If your book really is 'about dreams and the power of fantasy', it's non-fiction.

Just mentionin'. In case someone ever actually asks you what your book is about.:Hug2:

Last edited:

syntellsmith

Registered
Reaction score
Adult Literary Fiction, It’s a Slice of Life Drama surrounding the diverse staff of a library in New York City during the 90’s (1994). Gritty, with serious social commentary as the library employees are divided and engaged in political feuds over policies to serve the public.

Lone Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
A young mage tries to solve the mystery of how and why vampires helped her ancestors escape the Holocaust, affecting her understanding of history and herself, the nature of monstrousness and of human compassion.

That sounds intriguing!

Lone Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
The biggest problem I'm having with it has to do with dialogue: if I write in the style that Australians use, it will not be very user-friendly to non-Australians; if I dial back the colloquialisms, it loses some of it's flavour; if I use too much 'army talk', which I am unfamiliar with (but have some friends who can help me out), then people will find it largely indecipherable.

The technical stuff I can research and the 'exotic animals' are not very exotic to those of us who live here, but I get your drift. The political stuff is boring but I think I can manage, but too much will ruin the story.

The part I do like doing the most is the characterisation, but I will need to cut a lot of my current interactions because otherwise this baby is going to be a 200+K word beast. Way too big! I suppose I can use some of it for another book somewhere down the track.

I think you should keep the Aussie style in. It's so refreshing as an Aussie to read what sounds natural to us instead of Americanisms and Englishisms

Lone Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
A young woman who desperately seeks to find adventure, her place in the world, an understanding of her small supernatural power and a meaning to her life, finds what she needs in the last place she expected - love - but keeping it is an ongoing struggle against social norms and her mistakes result in her fighting for her life.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
About 30,000 words too long.

But, as for subject matter, it is about two itinerant con-men in mid-19th century frontier America, fleeing to the west where gold has just been discovered in California. Through a pair of accidents, they join with two other people who need likewise to get away from their places of origin. It is something of a tall-tale adventure, within the setting of the wild pre-Civil War frontier.

caw

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
I'm into it.

Right now I'm working on a YA epistolary novel where a girl's diary is found and she corresponds with a mystery writer. They get closer as their writing gets more intimate, but her friends and family are worried about her divulging her personal life to someone she doesn't know.

(Yes, I do like the show Catfish.)

This sounds like it will be really interesting, ValerieJane!

Lone Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
How much do you tell?

An everyday, middle-aged house-wife seeking a little long-lost sexual excitement, finds more than she bargained for.

Do I stop there leaving a lot of mystery or do I give a bit more away?

An everyday, middle-aged house-wife seeking a little long-lost sexual excitement, finds more than she bargained for when she immerses herself in the secret underworld of sexual pleasure, finds herself on a journey down the slippery slide of BDSM and breaking the cardinal rule, she falls in love. The pleasure and wonders are peppered with misgivings, fears and heartache, but there is no going back.

BonafideDreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Attempting to write a romance. The hero and heroine come face to face again after three hundred years.

Aloysius

Registered
Reaction score
A drunken professor in the 60's is resident director of his college's study abroad program in England and he raises hell hither and thither.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
One Line: Old woman time travels to 5th century Britain where she is mistaken for the daughter of a British ruler.

More Lines: Dying woman feels she has never really lived. Offered a chance to gain a few more years of life by doing a little time travel coupled with a little information gathering, she grabs the opportunity. In her new world, she makes a place for herself as the only woman in an all-male ruling council. There's also braw men, a hateful brother, and monsters.

rhiannon_writes

✿✿✿
Registered
Reaction score
TL;DR: In a world where magic has a distinct and powerful scent, Mel was born without a sense of smell.

Slightly more description: She'll never know if someone is about to use magic to control or attack her. The smell is the only thing that indicates someone is summoning magic. So Mel relies on her best friend, Elowen, to protect her from any magical threats after someone discovers that Mel is anosmic. Then Elowen is drafted into the army, and Mel, terrified that she'll be taken advantage of, follows her. Cue Mel using the military to discover herself, her confidence, her power, and of course, many new friends, exotic locales, and a mystery or two.

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm horrible at summarizing my ms, but here it goes:

It's about a 15 y/o girl named Payson who is able to see the dead after she wakes up from a heart transplant. An amnesiac female ghost keeps following her until Payson agrees to try to help her move on to the afterlife. While trying to uncover the ghost's identity, a dark spirit, with a strange ability to affect Payson's new heart, seems intent on stopping them before they uncover the truth.

RyanO

Registered
Reaction score
The one I have finished, and am currently having edited:

Is about a dishonorably discharged soldier who tries to prove his worth by stopping an evil madman bent on destroying the world, but in his attempt to save the Earth, the soldier goes crazy and inadvertently helps in the planets destruction.

Aerythia

Registered
Reaction score
A Young Adult fantasy, inspired by reading numerous books with glamorous courtesans loving life... I thought it was time sex work was a little less exciting...

Three is a whore, a possession not even afforded the dignity of a name. When she is woken by an unknown symbol burning into her wrist, and the reaction of the Madame is one of abject horror, she is convinced there is more to her life than she has been led to believe. Her determination to discover the truth shows her a way out of the whorehouse and into a world she can't remember anything about.

Ok, it's not one sentence. I'm going to have to work on condensing :D.

startraveller

Registered
Reaction score
A cure for ghostly possession and the lengths some go to to preserve the ones they love.

But also a lich, mortality, coin tricks, curses, and the friends made along the way.

Yonathanasefaw

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Well I am writing a children's book based from a short poem I wrote (it should have been longer i know) but anyway the characters name is Chubby and he is being pursued by a Nazi bloodhound by the name of Corporal Boba and he wants to collect these Cores to destroy Chub City but Chubby ends up in different dimensions trying to get these cores while Boba wants to get them first.

anaemic_mind

I come with accessories now
Registered
Reaction score
My seemingly never-ending saga currently part way through the first draft, with its current working title...

Aftermath: The chance meeting between a rock music fan and her favourite singer ends memorably for all the wrong reasons.

musicblind

May Cause Damage
Registered
Reaction score
What I'm working on:

Aelfinn, a teenage prince in exile, finds himself representing his country in a foreign court when the ambassador is murdered. But the murders continue, and Aelfinn must battle a shadowy organization out for revenge on his whole family.

I love this!

It gives me murder mystery feels and a coming of age vibe. If I were a publisher (and I am in no way a publisher) I would definitely want to read more. When might the book be out?

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I usually just say it's a portal fantasy with likeable characters--oh and no elves. (That's a terrible pitch I know.) I then have to explain what a portal fantasy is, but I only have about ten seconds to talk about anything fantasy related until their eyes glaze over. So, while I have their attention, I quickly talk about how cool it is that they're finally making a Wheel of Time tv series.
BTW, in case you didn't know, they are making a Wheel of Time tv series.

K_Remington

Registered
Reaction score
A morbidly obese outcast is unwittingly spirited to an outlandish world where, to his surprise, he is universally adored. Or, almost universally. A cute fairy and her army of cartwheeling dwarves definitely want to kill him.