Hallelujah! Story ideas abound

Sheyen

Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't planning on doing any writing today, as I am at the day job today. (Home Health Caregiver) But I was reading a blurb on Draco Malfoy today that was talking about how one of his hobbies is alchemy manuscripts, and that lead me to thinking about the Voynich Manuscript (indecipherable manuscript from the 15th century). My story I am doing research on right now takes place in mideval time period (unknown exact time period, I would say between 1300-1500s). So now I want to include the Voynich Manuscript in it. Unsure yet if I want someone to actually write it, or it to be used in a class or as a study aid. I just know that I will be including it! My story, the genre is fanstasy/magick, with a school of Hogwarts type included, but only really the school idea "stolen". There may be similarties (aren't there always since life is, well, life?), but it will definetly have it's own stamp. Now for me to take notes on the Voynich Manuscript, and reading more up on Latin/Germanic languages!! Research here I come!

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
I absolutely love the idea of a school so completely off the deep end that they use the Voynich Manuscript (of which I have a hardbound copy) as assigned reading. You need to write this.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW and SFF, Sheyen. :welcome:

Researching the Voynich Manuscript is, as near as I can tell, the equivalent of TV Tropes for medievalists -- once you start, if you are not careful, you may not escape it anytime soon. :) Definitely fascinating stuff. Good luck on your story!

And, yanno, then there's always the Codex Seraphinianus...

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely love the idea of a school so completely off the deep end that they use the Voynich Manuscript (of which I have a hardbound copy) as assigned reading. You need to write this.

I second the motion. Good luck, and welcome!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Welcome to AW and SFF, Sheyen. :welcome:

Researching the Voynich Manuscript is, as near as I can tell, the equivalent of TV Tropes for medievalists -- once you start, if you are not careful, you may not escape it anytime soon. :) Definitely fascinating stuff. Good luck on your story!

And, yanno, then there's always the Codex Seraphinianus...

IIRC, there are other such mysterious manuscripts floating around, of which the Voynich Manuscript is the most well known; if I also RC, there was a thriving market for such texts that purported to contain alchemical secrets, spurring many frauds (which is what some consider the VM, last I heard), though in story context some of them could be real. You might consider researching beyond just that one.

And I've seen a reprint of the Codex Seraphiniaenus (Wikipedia link) go through work... very, very bizarre, though as a more recent publication maybe not in the same category.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Dangit, now you got me down the VM rabbit hole again. I thought I had outgrown this.

But if you really wanna go big or go home, might I suggest Enochian?

Sheyen

Registered
Reaction score
Fabolous, more ideas to drown in. Danged rabbit hole. I will definitely be looking into Codec Seraphinius and Enochian. As Willy Wonka would say *so much time, so little to do*.