How long are writers given by publishers to write a book?

Fairies wear bOOts:)

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
Especially if it's the second book and on in a series.

I thought it was four months or so, is that correct... ? If it is varied, how much does it vary?

+ ... do you tend to find this doable? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Especially if it's the second book and on in a series.

I thought it was four months or so, is that correct... ? If it is varied, how much does it vary?

+ ... do you tend to find this doable? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!!

It's a negotiation when you sign the contract. It depends on the writer, the book, and the publisher's schedule.

I see you're still thinking about series, though before you were asking in terms of running out of ideas and scheduling fears about writer's block.

It's about negotiation. You and your editor work out what seems reasonable. And usually, if you keep in touch and communicate with your editor, there's some reasonable accomadation.

But the main thing is to first have a publisher offer you a contract. Writing a good first book is the first hurdle; worry about the schedule when you are offered a contract.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
It depends. Some pubs will give you a year to complete the next book and some might not specify at all but have first right of refusal for the second or following books in the series.

Some writers finish the entire series before shopping book 1. It's appealing to some publishers if the series is already complete or if you at least have the second book done. They want to make sure you can deliver on the books as promised so already having other books done in the series can be a plus if they want the first one. Not to say you might not have to do rewrites, etc. But at least the foundation is there and it shows them you are serious. Sometimes authors don't come through as promised with a series and it leaves the publisher on the hook.

I always got book to book contracts with my series and I liked that because if things didn't work out I wasn't bound to send the pub another book. I never had a contract for an entire series at one time but my contracts did specify that if I did continue the series the publisher had first right of refusal of the next book meaning I had to at least show it to them first even if I wished to part ways. I never had the type of contract where I had to promise them a set amount of books in a series. When I write a series, I don't usually know how many books it will take to wrap it up. Usually I know by the middle of the series but I am not one who sets out to write a certain amount of books in a series before even writing one word of the first book. It has to come naturally. If the series should wrap up in three books, that's when it wraps up. If the series needs six or more books, then that's what I'll write. Different plots and things unfold while writing a series so for me it would be too difficult to write to a number of books.

For the two series I had with publishers, I just wrote the books and they sent the contracts each time I finished a new one.

As for is it doable, that depends on how fast you write. My average time to write a novel (60,000-80,000 words) is two weeks. I also outline. That's fast compared to some writers. Some writers need an entire year to finish a novel or at least a few months. It also depends on the length of the book and what else you got going on in your life that might interfere with your writing time.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Like AW Admin says, it's negotiated as part of the contract. But if you can know up front how long it takes you to write and polish a book, you'll be in a better position to understand how much you can realistically promise.

My contract called for two books to be delivered in a year. Even though one was essentially complete and the other was about 30% done, that schedule nearly did me in. For a different writer, though, it wouldn't have been an issue at all.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what can you do with this information at this point other than worry about it? If you haven't sold 2+ books, you don't need to know right now, and if you have, you probably know the answer as it pertains to your books.

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
:) I like learning all of this ahead of time, to be prepared. I've heard a few authors say (and editors mention authors) that they have/had trouble meeting publisher's deadlines for a book or meeting the deadline for an editor's revision.

I don't want to struggle or disappoint an agent or editor. So, knowing ahead of time that I'd be expected to write more quickly is a good goal for me to work on.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I don't want to struggle or disappoint an agent or editor. So, knowing ahead of time that I'd be expected to write more quickly is a good goal for me to work on.

This is a two-sided relationship. They don't want you to struggle, and they don't want to disappoint you, either.

Get some idea of your writing velocity before you sign a contract, and don't sign something you think you can't fulfill. Everybody involved wants you to succeed, and they'll help you work out a schedule that works for everyone.

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
My average time to write a novel (60,000-80,000 words) is two weeks.
How is this even possible? That's something like 5-6 thousand words a day. I'm lucky if I can get 2000. I knew I was a little slow, but I didn't think I was that slow. :cry:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
How is this even possible? That's something like 5-6 thousand words a day. I'm lucky if I can get 2000. I knew I was a little slow, but I didn't think I was that slow. :cry:

Everyone's pace is different. Sometimes I can break 4K/day for a week or two before I burn out, but 1500 - 2K/day is more typical. And that's for drafting; revision is a whole separate time sink.

I've known people who write 800 a day or substantially less. They get there. It's all good. There's no official writer's pace.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Aww darn, I was gonna chime in with a goofy answer like:

Exactly 3 months, 29 days, 23 hours and 59 seconds...

But everyone already said pretty much the tongue-in-cheek point of it.

It depends on the publisher, the author, and if it’s spelled out under the contract details. :)

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Girlsgottawrite, I've always been a fast writer but I have also been writing professionally for over 20 years so my speed has gotten even faster because I know how to write decent first drafts to where I don't have to do a bunch of editing and rewriting. I could write a novel in less than two weeks if I buckled down but I don't feel I need to kill myself and for me, that would be way too much writing. The pace I write is comfortable for me and comes natural. People should write at a pace that's good for them. I've always been a fast writer and outlining has helped me write even faster.

Last edited:

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Liz. Exactly and to be honest I know many writers who are writing novels within days. I mean like machines!!!! I do write fast compared to some writers but it's my natural pace. I am comfortable at that pace and I am very disciplined with my projects. Once I finish my outline I write on the book every day on and off in sessions.

Also, heck I LOVE writing! LOL! It's fun to me so I love immersing myself in my stories. It's a pleasure for me to do it. When you love what you do, you can do it and it doesn't feel like work or a chore. :)

Last edited:

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
My contracts were for every book. When the publisher knew it was a series, it was fine, I had no limits when to deliver the next volume, but it was understood (not written in the contract, though) that I'll go to them to publish the next book. When it was done, a new contract for the new book was signed.