Hello!

amaikaorii

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

My name's Kelly, and I'm a New Zealander living in Australia. I've been writing since before I knew how to make my squiggles into actual words. It's the only thing I've ever really loved and wanted to do with my life.

In saying that, I did venture out into the real world in order to actually earn a few dollars. Before the Christchurch quakes, I worked as a high school English & Media Studies teacher, and loved every second of it. After moving to Australia with my family, I spent the past four years working as a Floor Manager/waitress at a dessert cafe, which was a lot of fun, and introduced me to some really interesting people - important for writing good characters I think.

I recently quit my day job to take up writing full time, and besides sometimes never getting dressed, and not seeing actual humans (other than my family) for weeks on end, I am loving it.

I signed up here in 2013, and then kind of dropped off the face of the earth, while I wrote my first novel. So now that it's in it's final stages, I finally have a little more time to breathe and I figured I'd start by re-introducing myself. :)

I write Young Adult fiction, with a focus on fantasy, fairy tales, dystopia and monsters. Big fan of zombies and werewolves in particular.

Looking forward to getting to know you better!
Kelly x

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Horror writing is one of my guilty pleasures. Maybe not along the same lines as how you use werewolves and what not.

amaikaorii

Registered
Reaction score
hi!

Horror is one of my guilty pleasures too. Stephen King in particular. I can't watch it anymore, but give me all the horror words. haha

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome back

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Congrats on finishing the novel!

Welcome back to AW!

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you Kelly, best of luck.

Beginning Write

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome job on finishing the novel :) Out of simple curiosity, would you mind sharing one of the more interesting customer personalities that would fit well in a horror story?

amaikaorii

Registered
Reaction score
hahaha! Well, I just meant interesting personalities in general. ALTHOUGH, since you asked...we used to have this one customer who would come in at the end of the night, right before closing time. It's a dessert cafe - but we also had three savoury items on the menu. Two of them were always the same, and then one was a special. So this guy, he'd come in at least once a week, and order all three savouries, then sit at a corner table, by himself to eat them. He reminded me a little of Serj Tankian, from System of a Down? Always dressed in black...always alone, always full of weird conversation...but even weirder than all of this...he called himself Adolf.

If that's not a horror story, I'm not sure what is. ;)

SimonTemplar

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I love all New Zealanders if only because of association with Neil Finn. Australia's a close second since he's often doing shows there. I'm looking forward to reading some of your stuff!

amaikaorii

Registered
Reaction score
Oh thank you so much! Yeah, Neil Finn is pretty amazing. Australia is okay, I mean..they let me live here, and they're always up for some witty banter which is nice. ;)

SimonTemplar

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I said the same thing until after 2 months they kicked me out :) Something about saving their immigration quotas for New Guinea refugees. At least that's what the parents said (I was only in third grade), probably just didn't like the vegemite and cordial ;)

pholoto15

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back. Like the others, I'm a fan of the horror genre, although I havnt read too many. I did like Anna dressed in blood . Not sure anyone knows it. But anyways, welcome back.

amaikaorii

Registered
Reaction score
ooh I just looked it up, that sounds really interesting, and is going on my to read list. :)

If you like zombies (they're my fave..) I highly recommend The Girl With All the Gifts, by M. R Carey. It's not all that scary, but it's so good!