Actual Service Dog on Plane Attacked, Pregnant Person Also Punched.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The hell is going on?

There's been a brouhaha over the explosion of 'emotional support animals,' on planes and elsewhere, but a D/deaf couple traveling with their two small children from Colorado to Orlando with the woman's service dog met up with a special type of asshat. The dog, Zariel, slept most of the way, got up, stretched, and apparently took up more room than a fellow passenger thought was reasonable.

So, reasonably, he punched the dog, which yelped and hid under the seats.

The guy then shoved the couple's toddlers and punched the pregnant woman in the stomach before her husband tackled him and held him for the cops.

Petrini Manley complained of being allergic to dogs as the plane descended and was being taxied to the gate at the Orlando International Airport. The service animal, a Great Dane, woke up and Timothy Manley told police the dog “took up more space than [he] felt it deserved.”

Timothy Manley then punched the service dog, Zariel, causing it to yelp. The dog shook its head and hid under a seat, according to the police report.

The 21-year-old woman and her 30-year-old partner, who is also deaf, tried to yell at Timothy Manley as best as they could, the report indicates.

Police said Timothy Manley then got into the man’s face and punched the woman, who is about 20 weeks pregnant.

Last edited:

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
A Great Dane hid under the seats? Hmm. The only time my Great Dane would have been able to fit under an airline seat was when she was less than 3 months old. And frankly I'm amazed that Zariel would even be able to fit in an airline seat. That would be a tight squeeze for my dog, even in first class.

Regardless, the dog-puncher is a major jerk.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I believe service dogs generally are supposed to lay on the floor at the person's feet. I've seen some sitting up in seats, but I think that's just when there's an adjacent seat free.

This story has a pic of the couple, their kids, and, presumably, the dog in question (it's a photo looks to be from social media, announcing the pregnancy, so can't be that old). He doesn't look regular Great Dane sized I don't think -- my friends had one and he TOWERED over their kids when sitting like that.

The airline notes that to be allowed in cabin service animals must be certified and properly harnessed. He looks to be harnessed in the pic too.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I still think the Dane in that pic is gonna have a hard time sleeping on the floor beneath the seats, but what do I know?

At just over a year old, my Dane weighed 135 and was the size of a small horse. A plane traveler, she was not gonna be.

And hats off to this family for being able to train an 8-month-old pup to be calm enough to be a service dog. Mine certainly wasn't.

If Zariel is a full-blooded Dane, I do suspect that their doggie's air travel days might be numbered. But then again, having 2 toddlers and an infant is a travel killer, too.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I still think the Dane in that pic is gonna have a hard time sleeping on the floor beneath the seats, but what do I know?

At just over a year old, my Dane weighed 135 and was the size of a small horse. A plane traveler, she was not gonna be.

And hats off to this family for being able to train an 8-month-old pup to be calm enough to be a service dog. Mine certainly wasn't.

If Zariel is a full-blooded Dane, I do suspect that their doggie's air travel days might be numbered. But then again, having 2 toddlers and an infant is a travel killer, too.

I don't know anything about the people involved save the news stories, so could be wrong, but most hearing dogs I've ever heard of were trained by the agencies that provide them. They're like seeing eye dogs, just not as prevalent. So may just have been the dog they were given by an agency/charity that provides hearing dogs.

I'd *guess* they got him when they had the second kid -- there are tons of products for D/deaf/hard of hearing people like lights that wire to doorbells and phones, light-up baby monitors, bed-shaking alarm clocks, etc., but a bunch of very tiny kids running around that you can't hear ... the dogs are trained to alert if a kid not in your sight is crying, fell over, whatever, if someone is knocking, if something fell and made a sound...

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The man on the plane is an asshat, no doubt. Kudos to the dog, and whoever trained it, that it took it all so well, and tried to hide under the chair. If it's going to be living with children, it says good things about it's temperament that it didn't turn and snap at the guy. Who, if he really was allergic, should have complained at the start of the flight, not the end.
(And punching a person, let alone a pregnant one, is beyond the Pale.)

Other things are odd, though. The dog has a 'Dane' head, in size and shape, but the legs look too short. At 8 months, shouldn't any breed be at the 'leggy' stage? For that matter, I don't know about all service dogs, but guide dogs for the blind don't start training until they're a year old. 8 months sounds awfully young. Basic companion training, yes, but service animal?
And, what training program would choose a Great Dane, or cross? It's going to be bulky for cars and apartments, let alone airplanes. It's good to have a sturdy dog with children, but surely a Lab or Retriever would fit the bill.
Odd choice, but, again, the temperament seems good.
Wait 'til the dog outgrows the plane, and it's another 'family misses flight because of service dog' story.

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
WTF? What is happening to people? Is being human and respecting others out of the question now? :(

If he's actually a service dog (and it sounds like he is based on his behavior and response), I'm pretty sure 8 months old is a typo. At 8 months old a service dog might have begun training. Might. From the story this dog is completely trained already. I have/have had several friends who travel with service dogs. Service dogs lay on their human partner's feet and do not get into anyone else's space.

I agree the dog doesn't look pure Dane. Most times agencies use Goldens or Labs, but not always, and they don't have to be. I haven't personally met any Dane/Dane Mix service animals, but I have known German Shepherds and a Weimaraner. I had an Entlebucher who didn't come from/wasn't trained by a service agency, but worked as a service dog for my kiddo--happy accident, we got him as a family pet, and then life happened and he became a working dog, though unofficial. His instincts/instinctual response were incredible, I have no doubt he could have been trained by professionals to be a perfect and official working dog.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The guy is a jerk and needs to face multiple charges, assault, assault of minors, animal abuse, interfering with a flight crew, violating the American with Disabilities Act are just a few that come to mind.

As for the Dane. My late English Mastiff was a pure bred and she was small. At two she was only 150 pounds and height wise, she was the size of a large lab or shepherd. Unfortunately she came from generations of inbreeding. The Dane may come from a similar breeding situation. I know some places rescue shelter dogs and train them as service dogs. So their dog may not come from a facility that breeds their own dogs to train.

As far as I'm concerned, there would be no issue against the dog if it had attacked the man for punching it, the woman or pushing the children.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, may be a typo? Dunno. I know Danes are used as service dogs for people with mobility issues sometimes, specifically, because they're so big you can lean on them or use them for stability when standing, etc., so presumably they have the general temperment to be working/service dogs.

Also ditto to the mutt thing above, some places do get dogs from shelters to work. Same as purebreds, if they end up not being suited for the gig they get adopted anyway. A guy I know trains guide dogs for the blind, mostly labs. His family dog is a chocolate lab who flunked out, heh.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Other things are odd, though. The dog has a 'Dane' head, in size and shape, but the legs look too short. At 8 months, shouldn't any breed be at the 'leggy' stage? For that matter, I don't know about all service dogs, but guide dogs for the blind don't start training until they're a year old. 8 months sounds awfully young. Basic companion training, yes, but service animal?

It's possible the dog isn't a purebred Great Dane, or that it isn't a Dane at all. The press gets things very wrong sometimes when it comes to details about animals (or people--my brother was interviewed for a story once, and they said he had no relatives except our parents).

As for fitting under seats, it's amazing how small some dogs can make themselves. I met someone who had a standard poodle service dog who flew with her, and he could curl up under an airplane seat. It's also possible they were sitting in a bulkhead row. People pay extra for those, but some airlines make them available for people with disabilities or service animals. If the asshat paid extra to sit in a bulkhead seat, that might explain why he didn't just want to switch seats with someone non allergic, and why he felt so "entitled."

Not that it in any way justifies his behavior. Mentally healthy, properly socialized, decent adults use punching is a last resort in bad situations, not a first one. And punching a pregnant person in the stomach? That's about as taboo as things get. I wonder if he was trying to provoke the dog into biting him so he could claim it was vicious and sue, or maybe he is just one of those odd and scary adults who lack impulse control.

As for the dog being eight months, it's possible he was in training. People are allowed to train their own animals or to participate in programs that allow them to do so, and flying with the dog would be part of that training. Though a trip with the entire family seems like an odd training mission.

Great Danes are an unusual choice for signal dogs also. Most of those are med-to-small dogs, because they don't need to be able to pull wheelchairs or retrieve items for their owners, and smaller dogs are easier to transport and take places, all else being equal. Also, Danes don't live very long--often only 8-10 years--so they're not the best return on training investment in terms of service longevity, but for some assistance functions, a larger dog makes sense.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, there would be no issue against the dog if it had attacked the man for punching it, the woman or pushing the children.
Trouble is, in the eyes of some people, the dog would have been in trouble, no matter how well deserved the attack. I'll bet only a few people in the immediate area of the affected seats saw the whole thing, the rest would have believed whatever story the 'victim' spouted.
If he was a full grown Dane, I'd love to have seen him up on his hind legs, paws on the guy's shoulders, lookin' him right in the eye. :evil

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
It's possible the dog isn't a purebred Great Dane, or that it isn't a Dane at all. The press gets things very wrong sometimes when it comes to details about animals (or people--my brother was interviewed for a story once, and they said he had no relatives except our parents).

Just as a total aside, the local paper once did a story on our dog (small town, starved for human interest stories). We told the reporter he was a Welsh Corgi named Paddy.

The paper printed he was a Gorgi named Spot. I guess she couldn't read her notes regarding "corgi", and was unable to remember his name at all.

I figure it went "It's a dog. Call him Spot." "But he has no-" "SPOT!"

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Just as a total aside, the local paper once did a story on our dog (small town, starved for human interest stories). We told the reporter he was a Welsh Corgi named Paddy.

The paper printed he was a Gorgi named Spot. I guess she couldn't read her notes regarding "corgi", and was unable to remember his name at all.

I figure it went "It's a dog. Call him Spot." "But he has no-" "SPOT!"

I once saw an online article about a "pit bull attack" that was accompanied by a photo of the dog in question... which didn't even remotely look like a pit bull. IIRC, it was some kind of greyhound mix.

Apparently people must have contacted the paper to let them know of the mistake, because I happened to see the article again a few hours later and it had been changed. Did they correct the breed? Sort of. The picture of the actual culprit had been replaced by a stock photo of a pit bull.