About libraries...

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I know swearing in YA is acceptable. One of the characters in the novel I am writing right now curses every so often. However, I am considering removing the swearing altogether.

The reason is library access. From what I gather, school libraries are reluctant to acquire books with swearing. Is this true, and if it is, is it worth taking the risk of leaving the swearing in.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I could see this being an issue in some conservative areas (book censorship in public schools still unfortunately being a Thing), and in private schools, but not in general... plus, teens also get their books via bookstores, public libraries, and online book sales, none of which are likely to censor on language.

If the story works just as well without the swearing, give it a try, but I can't think of many teens (save, again, those from conservative or sheltered upbringings) who wouldn't read swear words or haven't been exposed to them, even the ones who don't swear themselves. And you're writing your book for the target audience, not a potential gatekeeper, aren't you?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I deal with plenty of school librarians that wouldn't think twice about purchasing a YA book that includes some profanity. Mind you, these are primarily West LA charter & private schools with names and mission statements that would make most of us snicker, but the point still stands.

louisecooksey

Audiobook Narrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
louisecooksey.com
I was a librarian in a past life. As a public librarian purchasing for YA, I never cared about swearing or the like, but school libraries run on an entirely different ethic. It completely depends on the area and whether there would be backlash from parents or the principal (who is usually their boss).

Penelopen

Registered
Reaction score
I think it will be okay to leave the curses in the work. Judging by how you described it, it does not seem like a whole lot and I trust that librarians will understand tactful, character building swearing. Also if your work is not middle grade oriented but geared towards high schoolers it should be fine. I don't think public libraries will have any problem with it (they may just place your book in a different age group.).

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Is worrying about swearing in YA really a thing? I can't imagine anyone giving two hoots (MG, yes, YA, no). OK, my reading is biased in favour of UKYA, but pretty much every book I read has swearing in it, some more than others, admittedly. My first published book doesn't have swearing in (not a conscious choice, just how I wrote it) and reviewers actually criticised me for it.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Lately I've seen swearing in quite a few YA books...I think it'd be a non-issue. I mean, teens hear swear words everyday walking down the halls from one class to another. Teens *use* swear words, they're not babies. If it's a book a teen is going to read, librarians should buy the book and let them read it. The Hate You Give has been a hugely popular YA book and it has a lot swearing.