Hi, UK YA writer

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Hi :)

Went looking for helpful forums when the first of my submissions rejections started showing up, I had avoided forums when writing as I didn't want to be too distracted but I've read great stuff on here already so am somewhat kicking myself.

So far about 9 form rejections out of 12 sent out. Ouch. Putting off further queries until I can address some mistakes I think I might have made with the cover letter and opening chapters. Though I do worry that it's just not marketable enough really. Doh.

I've started a new book and feel all excited about it which is lifting the sense of doom a bit.

Will try to get stuck in but I'm not sure how much useful advice I have just yet! I can commiserate with gusto.

Editing to add, after seeing other newbie posts that show a little more character... I'm a southerner in the north who is fairly obsessed with my allotment and outdoorsyness, I write better when I've had some fresh air and a bit of toil. I've written a couple of fairly terrible books in the past that have never been sent to anyone because I read enough to know rejections were guaranteed ;) I hope I've moved on from terrible now though!

Last edited:

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
There is a lot of great advice on this site.

Best of luck, and welcome to AW!

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome :) sounds like maybe it's your query that needs work if all you're getting is form rejections from it. Which is easier to fix than the MS. But getting excited about a new idea is always a great way to lift the gloom.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW pingle. Best of luck.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

amaikaorii

Registered
Reaction score
hi there! I also write YA, and have two or three awful manuscripts that will never see the light of day again. Commiseration in bounds here too. xx

SimonTemplar

Registered
Reaction score
Hey at least you had the courage to submit :hooray: I'm still working on it. Welcome!

jeffschanz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffschanz.com
Your percentage of replies from queries is better than mine. My last time out I got less than a third of my queries replied to. This time so far is a touch better, but I still only have 6 of my 28 in. One was actually a real response and really encouraging and interested until they got to the part where they wouldn't be taking me. Deflation. In any case, you are in the company of comrades. Welcome!

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, hello back at you.

I suppose lots of replies saying no is better than no replies in terms of politeness and closure, but part of me would like some wild hope to cling on to, a little fantasy that maybe one day a yes will come at me when I'm least expecting it ;) ah well, I've made some changes and am nearly ready for round two. I love the newbie 'learning about thick skin' line, it's so very apt!