Editing books that aren't readable

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I have wrestled with this for a long time now and am interested in hearing how other editors cope.

Many times I have gotten in editing jobs from indie writers where the writing flat out stinks. After reading the first few pages (I do a sample edit as a job interview) I turn those down and recommend the writer work on their craft and find beta readers. They're just not ready to hire an editor. Many of them thank me for my honesty, so that's something. I always direct them here to AW for help.

A few times though, the sample pages were good enough that I'd accept the job, then find the rest of the book to be a howling hot mess of OMG-are-you-kidding barf cookies.

In one case I managed to do a hundred pages before reaching my gagging point. I charged the writer for the work I'd done, refunded the balance with a sincere apology, and made some suggestions on how to improve a deeply flawed story. Never heard from him again, which was understandable.

In another case I accepted the job and hung on to the extremely grim end of a book that made me physically ill every time I opened the file. If you've read slush, you know how bad it can get. The opening pages were not too bad, which was why I accepted, but it got steadily worse. The book was twice as long going back to the client due to the countless corrections and editorial comments on every page.

All I could do was lie back, cringe, and think of the rent.

For all that, he wanted me to edit his next three in his series. After I finished screaming in horror from a fetal position under the bed, I let him know I was fully booked and not available. I don't think I'm too sensitive, but it took weeks to get some of that crap out of my brain, it was so bad. I called it Post Traumatic Editing Syndrome.

My latest job -- months ago! -- was a dismal mash of a fantasy killfest that made my eyes bleed. Somehow I powered through, still thinking of the rent. The writer was pleased with my work, if surprised that it needed anything more than simple proofing since he thought it was perfect as is, and thanked me for the extra effort.

So other editors, I gotta ask:

When you get in the dregs from the crap barrel, do you put on your game face and power through?

Do you politely turn such jobs down?

Do you get in well written books and are able to edit with a clear conscience?

Or have I got some kind of weird invisible beacon that only attracts the worst? It is a matter of conscience for me to not accept money on something that's unreadable, but it seems that's all I get.

I read of editors who are swamped with work and wonder if they're powering through the crap regardless or getting good writers who make the work fun.

PS, If you are not comfortable posting in public, feel free to PM me. I won't tell! :)

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't answer your questions because I'm obviously not an editor, but I found this a very interesting post and I love your honesty.

Just curious - Do you mean 'in decently' or 'indecently'?
Do you get in decently written books and are able to edit with a clear conscience?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I toyed with editing for writers, rather than editing for trade publishers as a freelance, and just couldn't do it.

The first lot of books I was asked to edit were awful, and I couldn't take them on. It didn't seem ethical to do so. When I was sent a book which had real promise the writer expected me to turn the book around in three days, and then when she agreed to a more realistic schedule she told me AFTER I'd edited the book that she couldn't afford my full fee so was going to give me a percentage of takings for the book. I refused to send her my edits until I'd received full payment.

Publishers aren't always great to work for: they too want swift turnarounds, and haggle over payment, and will often not pay for a few months after the work is done. But there is some guarantee that most of the books they give me are competently written.

A few of my editor-friends give advice to writers, acting as editorial advisors rather than editors: they give very broad advice rather than editing the ms, and suggest ways in which the writers can learn to be better. They all say that the more they charge for this advice the more respectfully they're treated by their author-clients, and that it's much easier than doing full, detailed edits.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A few of my editor-friends give advice to writers, acting as editorial advisors rather than editors: they give very broad advice rather than editing the ms, and suggest ways in which the writers can learn to be better. They all say that the more they charge for this advice the more respectfully they're treated by their author-clients, and that it's much easier than doing full, detailed edits.

By this are you talking about developmental editing or feedback? I do the latter, but haven't had a client in months. My rates are more than reasonable, and I have raised prices. Apparently my resume (there is a LOT of it) is not sufficient to convince anyone to try it.

I am not keen to try developmental, though I have done that for pro friends. The writer in me can get in the way and I'd take a book in a different direction than the other writer. The non-pros not always happy with the suggestions offered. But again, most of those works are awful.

If "editorial advisor" is a job title, I might be up to that, but with the proviso that I get paid for pages read if I'm not able to finish the whole book. Again, I'm anticipating getting more hot messes, not readable MS! If you could PM me any websites for these advisors, I'd love to see how they do it! :)

Bufty -- thank you, I fixed that goof! :)

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
It seems fairly common among many editors. Ray Rhamey charges a "teaching rate" and an editing rate. The first is basically writing coaching.

I've gone through Cornerstones and massively disliked their advice (that's a whole other issue) but they are certainly good for "here are my general thoughts and here are ways you can approve".

Last edited:

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, if you are not getting *any* of the sorts of jobs you want based on your resume, I guess I don't know what to tell you except many those plum jobs aren't hanging off every branch? It stands to reason that the manuscripts that are already well-edited, well-crafted, and lacking major structural issues are being sent to agents, and hopefully eventually editors at publishing houses, therefore bypassing you, right?

If you're looking to filter out jobs that require too much LBL and worry that the first pages might be cleaner than the rest of the manuscript, another solution might be to request the full manuscript be sent upfront, or a larger sample, and you still only "interview edit" 3 pages, or whatever your standard is, but that would give you a chance to jump ahead to page 200 and see if the author has only made an attempt to clean the very beginning.

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It stands to reason that the manuscripts that are already well-edited, well-crafted, and lacking major structural issues are being sent to agents, and hopefully eventually editors at publishing houses, therefore bypassing you, right?

My target clients are the indie writers who intend to self-publish. Most of them are simply not ready. I turn away the "I just finished my book, please edit and tell me what you think!" I see their job listings on the EFA site and it's all too clear they're clueless on what editors do. Sometimes I'll send a quick mail to set them straight about getting beta readers and writing more drafts as needed before hiring an editor.

I don't mind line editing and am good at it. This is about gouge your eyes out with a spork bad writing. How do other editors deal with it?

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Not the same but when I did nonfiction editing (academic essays for international students) I simply started turning down bad mss.

Bad as in, not even at the level of high school written english--and yes I know it's hard to learn a foreign language, never mind write in one, but I'm not willing or able to rewrite someone's entire gddamn Master's dissertation. Idk. Have you joined up with other editors? Maybe join some indie groups and target more professional indies

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Bad as in, not even at the level of high school written English

I am familiar with that! Edited a non-fiction book with a co-editor. One of the chapters she snagged was an incoherent collection of words by someone with a PhD in one of the sciences and a teacher at a university. It had to be completely rewritten by my friend, who was not amused. The work was not remotely technical, but it did have to be turned into something with noun-verb-subject sentences!

Have you joined up with other editors? Maybe join some indie groups and target more professional indies

I am in the Editorial Freelancers Association. When I raised this topic at a local meeting, asking for advice, everyone went quiet as though I'd cut the cheese in church. I suppose no one wanted to admit that they'll accept unreadable drek so long as they get paid for it. No one made any kind of reply, even in private.

At this point I do not have the energy to hang out in indie writing groups. The ones I know about are wanting support from other writers, not a sales pitch from an underemployed editor. Some have rules against that sort of thing.

I still ask, do I suck it up, lie back, and think of the rent because that's what other editors do? (They just don't admit it.) I don't think I can do that! :)

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I don't know what to tell you in that regard; probably no one but yourself is placed to make that judgment =S

Personally, I'm feeble; I no longer do nonfiction editing because I couldn't hack it for that reason.

The ones who are still going are still slogging through those difficulties afaik.

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an editor but Hbooks suggestion of asking for the full MS up front but only doing a 3 page test sounds like a good way to filter out the ones that are too bad for you to work on. That way you can check is not just the first page that are good. I don't know how to get work from the 'better' indies other than to network though.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've taken a look at some of the people I know who offer editorial advice, who don't work for any of the agencies, and they all have a few things in common.

In no particular order:

1) They all have a few books published by good trade publishers.

2) They all talk at two or three (sometimes more) writers' conferences each year.

3) They all write about how to write better, how to get published, or about the intricacies of publishing. On their blogs, in the media, anywhere and everywhere. This isn't a full-time job--just a few pieces each year.

4) They all have a clean, well-designed website, which showcases their books, their editorial services, and the events they do.

5) They all charge at the high end, and have no shortage of clients.

6) They all engage regularly with editors and agents on social media, and are clearly well-liked and have friends in publishing. (Note that the editors and agents they engage with tend to engage with lots of people, and to speak at all the same writers' conferences.)

7) Their websites all give advice on the things writers should do before asking for editorial feedback, along the lines of revise, use beta-readers, etc.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'll add to the list if I work out anything else.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
About 10 years ago I did copy editing and proofreading of scholarly journal articles for a service that also took novels. For the novels, they also offered critique packages and query letter writing. I did two novels, one that was quite good and one that was horrible. During the horrible one I realized that not only was the book going to need much more than the copy editing I was giving it, and it would just need more copy editing once the rewrite was finished, but that I had no business providing a critique much less writing the query letter. Further, I was making more on the book than the author had any possibility of making. I told my supervisor I wasn't going to do any more fiction, and as this was about the time I joined AW and had learned about developmental editing and query letter writing, suggested that we shouldn't be offering those services unless we have properly trained folks doing it. I'm no longer working for them (not because of this, but because my life changed and I no longer needed the side income) but the company has upped its game and no longer makes the novel packages available to its non-novel editors.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some of my editing has been for non-English authors writing English books and in a few cases I have basically rewritten the work. I try to keep their style, but sometimes that just isn't possible. I'm honest and they all have respected the honesty, although not all agreed with the editing. But, in most cases like that, I wasn't paid by the author but by the publisher, so if the author didn't like the edit I still got paid.

That said, I ask for samples and edit those according to the wishes of the author. A page at most. I also ask for the samples so I know what I'm dealing with. I'm honest, and somewhat brutal sometimes, but I've never had to part ways part way through an edit.

I have, in the past, contributed on review sites. Got banned from a few for comments like "What drugs are you on? I seriously need to know so I can take them to be able to read this drivel." Guess I deserved the banning. :)

Jeff

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My target clients are the indie writers who intend to self-publish. Most of them are simply not ready. I turn away the "I just finished my book, please edit and tell me what you think!" I see their job listings on the EFA site and it's all too clear they're clueless on what editors do. Sometimes I'll send a quick mail to set them straight about getting beta readers and writing more drafts as needed before hiring an editor.

I don't mind line editing and am good at it. This is about gouge your eyes out with a spork bad writing. How do other editors deal with it?

Charge them by the hour.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Charge them by the hour.

I'd go broke. Most of the bad/wholly-not-ready writers take less than a minute to suss out and then I refuse the job. Oh, wait, I AM broke! ;)

Recently checked out the work of another editor who works for cheap, excessively cheap. The writer was halfway good, but the editing was terrible. But that editor had a really nice looking website.

Time for me to get busy. Checking Whosis for name availability. I need a makeover.

Last edited:

chracatoa

COG: Sometimes, Heaven is Overrated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Near Puget Sound, in the beautiful Pacific Northwe
As a writer (and a non-native speaker at that) I want to know if my work sucks. Just tell me it's garbage, and hopefully explain why. At least I'll learn from it. And the more times I get feedback like that, the thicker my skin is. Absolute Write "learning to have thick skin" tag is spot-on.

But I know some writers who would freak out with honest feedback like that, and I'd be afraid of online backlash (e.g. bad reviews, or tweets). Seriously, I don't know how you guys do it.

Years ago, when I had barely started, I hired a service to tell me if my novel was ready. I wanted serious, honest feedback. They told me the book was ready, there was no need for editing, and gave me a list of some agents to query. And then I immediately burned bridges with agents that would be the best fit for my novel if it was ready. But it wasn't.

After the help of several alpha readers, beta readers, and editing, I can finally say it's ready. I wished they had told me the truth at that time, though.

Last edited:

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
My target clients are the indie writers who intend to self-publish. Most of them are simply not ready. I turn away the "I just finished my book, please edit and tell me what you think!"
I always imagine inboxes like yours get simply drowned post-NANOWRIMO with starry-eyed writers who think that since they hit 50k words, their novel is ready to go. ;)

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
As an editor, I used to try to politely power through and try to catch/address most of what I could. Then I realized life is short and there are a billion other things I could be doing, so now if something is utter crap, I'll just send it back and let them know why.

But that being said, I've only edited nonfiction for a salary, so it may not be terribly applicable. I mean, I've done fiction edits, but generally for free and for friends whose work quality I already know so the question never came up.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
As an editor, I used to try to politely power through and try to catch/address most of what I could. Then I realized life is short and there are a billion other things I could be doing, so now if something is utter crap, I'll just send it back and let them know why.

Hee! "Utter crap" describes a few of past jobs that came in. I can edit mediocre and down right boring, but the crap (so to speak!) builds up. One job took weeks longer than it should because I hated opening the file knowing that the stuff would only keep getting worse. Usually a writer gets better as he goes along, but this one hit bottom and began tunneling.

RosalieStanton

Heathen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rosaliestanton.com
I’ve definitely run into these, or situations where I can tell it’s going to take an age to get through the MS based on structure alone, never mind content.

What I tend to do in these situations, particularly if it’s a new client, is tell them that the manuscript is going to be more demanding than my normal client work and as such, I don’t think I’m the best partner for them. However, if they are dead-set on paying me, I’ll quote an hourly rate ($35-50), which will make the project more worth my time, at least, than the typical per-word I charge. I also give myself a LONG time to get through the edit, and tell the client upfront that turnaround will be lengthy. This keeps me from doing large chunks back to back, because I get fatigued on these books very quickly.

As it is, I haven’t worked with too many authors who get past the “pay and turnaround” stage, but those I have worked with have proven to be good clients.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I do some of both: work with a publisher and freelance with self-pub authors. The publishers side is a little easier as the scripts have already gotten through aquisitions. I've never met an unreadable script there. With self-published, I don't do as many edits, perhaps one to every thirty with the publisher over the years.

With most self-pubbed authors, I'll know them from the community and know their writing style from there too. Because of that, I've only turned one script down, and that was because it wasn't my genre or pairing. Saying that, I work with one self-pub author who is amazing at content, but struggles with grammar issues (and openly admits it). But I honestly don't care how much by that point: the content itself is always amazing to read, and I'd edit off a matchbox when he's concerned. :)

ipsbishop

Registered
Reaction score
Website
toolsonlinenovel.blogspot.com
"Many times I have gotten in editing jobs from indie writers where the writing flat out stinks."

I have no doubts a lot of writing is odorous. Are there common traits in these stinkers that you see? Grammar? Construction? Dialog? Story?....

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Hee! "Utter crap" describes a few of past jobs that came in. I can edit mediocre and down right boring, but the crap (so to speak!) builds up. One job took weeks longer than it should because I hated opening the file knowing that the stuff would only keep getting worse. Usually a writer gets better as he goes along, but this one hit bottom and began tunneling.
I guess I have to at least applaud his novel approach to writing quality. A sort of "hold my beer" for sucking. >.> Sorry you had to deal with that though :(

What I tend to do in these situations, particularly if it’s a new client, is tell them that the manuscript is going to be more demanding than my normal client work and as such, I don’t think I’m the best partner for them. However, if they are dead-set on paying me, I’ll quote an hourly rate ($35-50), which will make the project more worth my time, at least, than the typical per-word I charge. I also give myself a LONG time to get through the edit, and tell the client upfront that turnaround will be lengthy. This keeps me from doing large chunks back to back, because I get fatigued on these books very quickly.
I love the idea of building in breathing room for brain repairs.