• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

When writing a series, when is a good time to do a re-write?

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
Tricky Problem:

The 3rd Book in my cozy mystery series is being beta read and so far has had positive comments. I am planning a Facebook/Amazon ad campaign once this third book is out.

As my skills have improved after three books, I thought I would re-edit my first book that was released last year.

I originally thought re-editing would just involve changing the odd word. But now having reach the end, I think it’s awful. It’s got too much character development for the heroine, which I find too repetitive and it gets in the way of the mystery.

This first book was beta read and only got positive comments. And before releasing the first book, I edited it several times before releasing it and didn’t find it bad back then. Having said that I have struggled to get sales (although because I was working on getting books 2 & 3 out I’ve not done any marketing. )

I am not sure if I should give the book an extensive rewrite (deleting at least 25% of the content) or if I am just being unnecessarily critical of myself.

What’s the best way to approach this? I was thinking about testing it out again on new beta readers before making changes. But this takes time (especially as beta readers take 4-6+ weeks to get back in touch) and I think I might just be delaying the inevitable.

I am also not sure if I should rewrite now or wait until my third book is out (or even wait after a few more books just incase my skills get better still). At the same time, I also appreciate that no one will read my later books if they think the first one sucks.

I know I should probably hire an editor, but I don’t have the budget for that!

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I can't see what the downside is of fixing the previous books. And it's probably better to do that before you release the third one. There's no reason to hurry, is there?

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
I can't see what the downside is of fixing the previous books. And it's probably better to do that before you release the third one. There's no reason to hurry, is there?

That's a good point. I guess my problem is that no matter how hard I try all my projects seem to take longer than expected. But I suppose if the quality is at stake, then that's just one of those things!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good point. I guess my problem is that no matter how hard I try all my projects seem to take longer than expected. But I suppose if the quality is at stake, then that's just one of those things!

Yep- quality beats quantity any day.

Good luck :Hug2:

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
I think part of me is worried that although I don't like bits, my readers might enjoy them so I could be throwing out good stuff by being overly-critical. But at the same time, I feel it would be better to throw it out. Maybe I need to think it over some more!

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I don't believe it's possible to reach a static level as a writer - with every completed project we improve, and we'll never (IMO) reach some God level in writing ability. So, it seems likely that we'll always look back over our shoulder at previous work, and cringe a little; we'll see faults we hadn't noticed before and have the urge to go back and fix them. You mentioned that your beta readers liked your first novel, and it must've been well received or you would not continue writing the series. SO - I'll go against the advise of my betters (Buffy and BethS) who are far more experienced and accomplished than I am, and suggest that you leave our older work as is.

My first martial arts teacher was an artist, a painter of portraits and landscapes. He was pretty well known, and was actually making a good living with his art. One thing he told me (it was relating to martial arts, but goes with all art), is that there are two distinct aspects of a painter; the eye and the hand, and they don't improve at the same rate. When you start painting, your hand lags behind your eye, and everything you do looks like crap. Then your hand improves and you're happy with your work... but then your eye improves and again everything you do looks awful. Improving in any art is a ratchet action, so I think that in a few years if you look back on your current novel, you'll want to fix that too. I say leave it be, let your readers see and enjoy your journey.

Again - just the opinion of a noob, so take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only thing is if folks buy and don't like the first one (the one OP considers really needs attention) are they going to bother considering the next?

OP's choice.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I think part of me is worried that although I don't like bits, my readers might enjoy them so I could be throwing out good stuff by being overly-critical. But at the same time, I feel it would be better to throw it out. Maybe I need to think it over some more!

I wonder this too. Even from morning to evening, my take on things changes radically. I use the same brain, but for whatever reason things read differently depending on time of day. New readers (or a slice of readers) might exactly prefer how your first book is. We are all so different from one another. Have strangers reviewed it online?

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Readers are going to vary a lot, so what pleases some may not please others. That being the case, you're better off pleasing yourself by turning out what you know to be a better story. :)

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
Have strangers reviewed it online?
Only my beta readers have reviewed it (They were strangers from Cozy groups). I've not got any reviews from paying customers (Although 2 emailed to say that they liked it). Sales have been poor: I've sold about 150 copies in 12 months. The price is 99¢ and I've not done any marketing. My second book sold 50 copies in 6 months, so I dunno if that means people didn't like the first enough to buy the second or they just didn't know about the second. My email newsletter in the first book only got 15 sign ups.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
So, if I reprint stuff - FREX: take a short story that was originally published elsewhere and put it into a self-pubbed story collection - I will sometimes tweak it a little. (Usually to add or flesh out a subplot that was cut short by market limitations. Or polish the odd phrase that seems clunky now.) I do not usually drastically change the story.

And, so far, even for things that I've only self-pubbed, I have not gone back after the fact to change them. One reason is just because that's really not how my other published work has been treated. Once it's accepted and published, that's the official version. (Barring, of course, smaller tweaks to add back in a half page or so if I self-publish later.) And, also, there's risk in having something not quite as polished out there, but there's also risk in work never demonstrating improvement over time. If you keep fixing books so they are constantly at your current level of skill folks will not see the same kind of progression over time that most authors display and that could work to your detriment. (Naturally, some fans will see the original and the updated book, plus - maybe - the later books, but new fans will see a kind of flat line in your series and that is not always good. While you don't want to have a lousy first volume, there is an appeal to readers to seeing books grow more complex, more skilled as they get further into the series.)

And, while I totally understand the urge to fix problems with earlier books, if you ever work with a trade publisher this will not be an option. You want to push toward producing the best work you can at this point, but also realize it's okay to move on and write the next book better without constantly going back to fix the previous one(s).

But, it's your series. If you feel like the whole thing would be improved by revising the first book, then you should do that. None of us can tell you which option is better.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
If you're talking about making substantial changes to book 1, and book 2 is already published, you also need to think about continuity. Do any of the proposed changes have an impact on the overarching story or characters that would carry over into book 2? If so, you'd need to edit them both at the same time, but even then there's a danger that someone will pick up version one of book 2 and version two of book 1 (or visa versa), and be confused by continuity issues.

I think once it's published, you're best off just making minor copy editing tweaks, rather than rewriting. Otherwise I think you'd have to launch as a whole re-release with new covers etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I did a revision of the first in my self-published series when I launched the second and was in the final stages of preparing the third for publication. A big part of the revision was to reflect the additional character development I'd done over the course of writing the following two books. Once it was done, I relaunched the book, and the series, with a completely new cover and trade dress.

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback.
It's really helpful to see the different perspectives.

I went over my issues with the book and I think I have two main problems:
1) The heroine has too much emotional challenges she deals with.
2) It's repeated too often

I re-read the feedback I got from original beta readers, where I asked them if there was anything they would improve. None of them mentioned the issues I identified. In fact a lot liked her dealing with her emotional issues, so I'm probably being over critical.

Despite this, I am concerned that the first book might be off putting and prevent people from reading the rest of the series.
So I think the best thing is to trim down the repetition and organize it better, so it doesn't slow down the story in the beginning. Then I'll do another beta read and be more specific in my questions to see if I need to drop some of the emotional challenges.

Another problem is I have been unrealistic in my expectations about self-publishing. I was hoping that after my third book, sales would pick up and I might earn enough to turn this into a modest income (e.g. $500 a month). However, it looks like those gold rush days of Kindle are over and I need to be releasing way more books to get to that target. Hence I probably shouldn't be spending too much time doing lots of re-writes, especially as my skills will probably be even better after a few more books.

Thanks again for all the input. It has been a big help!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Have you had any reviews on the first book? Has anyone mentioned those things being a problem?

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
Have you had any reviews on the first book? Has anyone mentioned those things being a problem?

The only reviews I have had were from beta readers (who were strangers I found on Cozy groups). I did get two comments via email from people who couldn't leave reviews. All the comments have been positive, so I probably am being overly critical.