Last Tango in Halifax...

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, yeah - I know, I'm always the last to discover these gems, but I'm absolutely enjoying it.

Any other fans out there? :hi:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Count me in. I started it a couple of years ago but didn't finish. Now I see that it is back. The time slot is late for me but school will be out next week so I can stay up later to watch. I like Anne Reid and Derek Jacobi enough that I have even watched their BBC Who Do You Think You Are episodes.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Ellis, I recently binged on Unforgotten - Lurved it! :hi:

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I enjoyed it. It did tail off towards the end. It looked as if the popularity was a surprise and they struggled to keep it going. All the characters were well acted. I have only ever seen Nicola Walker as a suit-wearing serious woman. I thought she look really good in jeans and building a dry stone wall.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@Noizchild - If you liked Sarah Lancashire as "Caroline," you're gonna LOVE her in Happy Valley...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3428912/

Just got done watching it on Netflix, and it's amazing. :hi:

Last edited:

TrueIndigo

Registered
Reaction score
I like Last Tango in Halifax. It might come across sometimes as comfortable Sunday drama, but most of the time it's charming and unpredictable. We weave in and out of the large cast of extended family characters (who have lots of empathy), so that there seems to always be a crisis looming at every moment, yet it's handled as being realistically observant - a great combination.

TrueIndigo

Registered
Reaction score
I also second Happy Valley - such good writing again by Sally Wainwright. She seems to understand that not only does something need to be interesting, but the main characters need to be likeable too. Many times this is not achieved in TV drama - there's action, production values, hip cinematography, smart one-liners, but it goes for nothing because you just don't care about the people enough. It's almost as of aliens had written it and in a subtle way, got the wrong idea about us. The main characters in Happy Valley are ordinary, realistic, but we want to be with them because we care. So when we see a big close up of Sarah Lancashire with a bloodshot eye, it means something. You don't need the over colour-saturated and wafer-thin depth-of-field look of Broadchurch to make it seem more classy than it actually is, this is old school drama at its best, with excellent actors to bring it out. Strongly recommended.

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you guys know that Season 3 of Unforgotten has started airing? :snoopy:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Have any of you Nicola Walker fans seen her in 'Spooks' in England, aka 'MI:5' in the U.S.? It's a spy series, not a warm family drama, and gruesome in places. But! A fair bit of Nicola Walker (but don't watch the series finale).

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Did you guys know that Season 3 of Unforgotten has started airing? :snoopy:

:) Yes. I've been watching it.

Have any of you Nicola Walker fans seen her in 'Spooks' in England, aka 'MI:5' in the U.S.? It's a spy series, not a warm family drama, and gruesome in places. But! A fair bit of Nicola Walker (but don't watch the series finale).

Yes. It's the first role I saw her act in. I liked her portrayal of an educated, but occasionally insecure and awkward (when it came to her relationship between her and her boss) adult.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. It's the first role I saw her act in. I liked her portrayal of an educated, but occasionally insecure and awkward (when it came to her relationship between her and her boss) adult.
Also the first time I ever saw her!
It's not often you see a woman (or a man for that matter) portrayed as a normal human being.
I find that British TV is much more open to 'normal', in looks and behaviour.

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
...It's not often you see a woman (or a man for that matter) portrayed as a normal human being.
I find that British TV is much more open to 'normal', in looks and behaviour.

Have you tried independent (including North American ones) and foreign films/T.V. shows from around the world? I borrow them from the library and have discovered that their actors look similar to the British ones (e.g. without overt makeup).

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind, my local library seems to have a good collection of DVDs.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
… I find that British TV is much more open to 'normal', in looks and behavior.
You know, it never occurred to me, that one of the reasons I like British productions so much is that the actors look like "real-life" people, and not folks who could easily pass for runway models.

And while there are roles where "beautiful people" are appropriate, let's face it, your average Detective (male or female) is, well "average-looking" :Shrug: