Everyone loves it; no one wants it

lis_kb

Registered
Reaction score
Have to gripe for a bit. It's okay to gripe here, right?

I have a short story I've submitted many times and to mostly heavy hitter journals. I have gotten so many personal rejections on this story from those journals—one editor even told me that her staff loved the story and wanted to keep it but that it didn't quite fit the aesthetic of the issue. Others just say that they really loved the piece and note a specific thing they love but then say they can't fit it in. Like, big deal journals. Journals I would die happy to be published in. Another editor suggested other heavy hitter places to submit it to with the note that it's a really great piece and bound to find a home somewhere.

But... no one is giving it a home. Everyone loves it; no one wants it. I don't want to give up on the goal of it being in a big journal but it's been rejected enough that I feel I might be setting my sights too high and to aim a little lower. Sigh. I know this is a good problem to have but sometimes the really close calls feel worse than the form rejections.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Oh I feel you here. I have a short story that's been through the exact same thing. Personal rejections, second/final round of submissions process, shortlisted for an award and yet no acceptance yet. It's very frustrating. At this point I'm just going to hold onto it and keep an eye on calls for anthologies.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
It is unfortunate, but being good and commercially viable is not entirely the same thing.

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
I think the short story market is one of the toughest for writers. It's hellishly hard. I understand that you feel despondent, but it sounds like you've had some really positive interest, and should keep trying. It only takes one yes. Granted, I know... in a sea of no's.

Keep writing your stories, and keep sending your stories out.

I know the rejections are really depressing to deal with, but it's clear that you're a talented writer (all those personal rejections attest to that - they really don't send personal rejections often...!) and hopefully one day you'll hit a yes from a journal you want to be published in.

In the meantime, primal screaming into a pillow helps.

lis_kb

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys!! There's been plenty of primal screaming...and there will be more!