• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need Beta Who Knows the Movie Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a short story about a film crew adapting a novel, told from the POV of the screenwriter. I've done research, but I'm getting ready to move and don't have as much time for research. I don't need a beta for characters and dialogue, but more for the nuts and bolts of how movies are made, and the obstacles I've put in place to complicate the situation. I don't want a real screenwriter picking this up and saying, "Oh, that would never happen."

Story isn't quite finished yet. Doing edits. Word count between 7000-8000. My deadline is June 30. Comment or PM if interested.

Thank you in advance!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Screenwriters are rarely ever involved at the stage where there's a crew, can tell you that. :)

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Screenwriters are rarely ever involved at the stage where there's a crew, can tell you that. :)

I saw an interview with a TV writer who said as much. But isn't it possible that the director might request their presence? I need the character on set, else the narrative falls apart. It'd be boring for him to relate what he heard had happened on set. Maybe he is acting as the script supervisor as well? (This is why I need expert knowledge).

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I saw an interview with a TV writer who said as much. But isn't it possible that the director might request their presence? I need the character on set, else the narrative falls apart. It'd be boring for him to relate what he heard had happened on set. Maybe he is acting as the script supervisor as well? (This is why I need expert knowledge).

Anything is possible, and it's fiction, so, you know, but one writer, on a feature (and the director wants them but there aren't doctors involved?), who is there on the set (and do you mean for months?) would be unusual in the extreme, so invent something very specific.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You might actually have more luck trying to find someone who's either part of the background crew or a minor actor. For your purposes, you can assign that insight to your writer, but unless the writer is very well established, or a guest on set (such as a novelist who is being given a cameo in their novel's adaptation), they mostly stick to the writers' room.

You might also consider making your writer the "on-set expert" in whatever field is best for your fictional movie. Like a retired cop or academy trainee if it's a crime film, or a geologist if it's an adventure set on an uninhabited island, etc. That would give a real reason for him to be on hand at all times.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
You might actually have more luck trying to find someone who's either part of the background crew or a minor actor. For your purposes, you can assign that insight to your writer, but unless the writer is very well established, or a guest on set (such as a novelist who is being given a cameo in their novel's adaptation), they mostly stick to the writers' room.

You might also consider making your writer the "on-set expert" in whatever field is best for your fictional movie. Like a retired cop or academy trainee if it's a crime film, or a geologist if it's an adventure set on an uninhabited island, etc. That would give a real reason for him to be on hand at all times.

My first idea was to have him present for only one scene, since the location is close to his apartment and since the adaptation is generating controversy (studio interference, demanding lots of changes to prevent lawsuits) I thought it’d be convenient to have him around so he could help edit the shooting script.

But your other suggestion is good too! I’ll have to think on that one.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Cross-posted in research by mistake.

I'm working on a short story about a film crew adapting a novel, told from the POV of the screenwriter. I've done research, but I'm getting ready to move and don't have as much time for research. I don't need a beta for characters and dialogue, but more for the nuts and bolts of how movies are made, and the obstacles I've put in place to complicate the situation. I don't want a real screenwriter picking this up and saying, "Oh, this guy clearly has no idea what he's talking about. This and that would never happen."

My deadline in June 30. Word count is around 7000 at this time. My plan is to have the writer on set just for one scene because the film is being shot out of sequence and he's invited to help out with edits once the studio begins interfering. Edits are almost complete.

PM or comment if interested. Thanks!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Duplicate threads merged. Next time, OP, please ask a mod to move it for you, thanks!

AsTheWorldFallsDown

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just starting to Beta read now but I work in the film business and I'm happy to help/answer any questions you have!

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
I work in sound post production, which may not help you at all. But feel free to PM me if you have any questions about sound on set or in post, or if there are "we'll fix it in post" moments in the story.

gmlakes

Registered
Reaction score
Screenwriters ARE on set in some cases

I've been a WGA screenwriter for decades and I've directed indie features. Screenwriters ARE on set in some cases. I was on COCOON and the screenwriter was there on location in Florida for the length of the shoot. Perhaps I can help.

DanaeMcB

Curious turtle
Registered
Reaction score
I have worked as a script supervisor on TV movies and series for a few years. (That job has nothing to do with writing! It's about keeping continuity. Your screen writer could not be the script supervisor unless he/she was trained as a script supervisor.) Anyway, I hate it when a book about movie-making gets stuff wrong, so I would beta your story as a vigilante against inaccuracy. :)

I have seen the writer on set when she also has some sort of producer title--Co-Producer, Associate Producer, Creative Producer. I am not sure what factors into giving someone that title, but it could be as simple as a personal connection to an actor that the director wanted for the movie (and probably that actor agreeing to work for a lower rate because of the personal connection.)

Status
Not open for further replies.