Cover Letter Vs. Query Letter

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
An agent I'm looking at states on his website that he wants

"Send a cover letter to EMAIL with your manuscript attached in .doc, .pdf. or .pages. Put the word "query" in the subject line."

Is there a difference between a query letter and a cover letter?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, there's a big difference.

A cover letter just reminds the person they wanted the materials that you're sending and what they are. It might read something like this:

Dear Ms. Johnson,
Attached as a Word document is my novel BOBO, as per your request of April 30. I hope you enjoy it and look forward to hearing from you

But it sounds like this agent is accepting unsolicited manuscripts, not using query letters to screen which manuscripts he wants to see and which he doesn't. While he says he asks for a cover letter, what I'd send is a query with the purpose of garnering his interest.

AW has a whole lot of information on query letters, as well as a board where we critique them for each other. Use the search box in the lower left corner of every page to find more about queries. Oh, and get a beverage first. You're going to be reading for a good long while.

Maryn, who finds queries difficult

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
So since he's asking for the cover letter and the manuscript would it be best to send a short cover letter blurb that just states like the novel name, genre, word count, and basic idea of the story. Or should I send a full query letter?

I've got time to think about it since I'm still working on my query letter at the moment. I just want to make sure I've got it right so that I'm totally bombing my chances with an agent XD

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Cover letters are also what folks use for short story publications (magazines, internet publication) and are usually just a brief couple of lines about the project (title, genre, wordcount) and a paragraph that is a brief publication history or a brief professional bio. (If you have both, you can do both, but bio's are usually most effective when you have no publication history. AND, you can leave both out if you feel the bio is not relevant to the project at hand.)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess what I was trying to say (and didn't, sigh) is that I'd go with an abbreviated query letter rather than an actual cover letter--very much like I'd use for a short story submission. Aggy for the win!

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
okidoki! Now I need to figure out what to put in a cover letter for my novel XD Ah the struggles never end in the publishing world.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe most agents know the difference - or care - so my cover letter is always my query letter (and vice versa).

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe most agents know the difference - or care - so my cover letter is always my query letter (and vice versa).

I would be quite surprised if most agents didn't know the difference.

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
I do think the terms cover letter and query letter are used interchangeably by a lot of people. Many seem to think of them as more or less the same thing now (me included).

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I do think the terms cover letter and query letter are used interchangeably by a lot of people. Many seem to think of them as more or less the same thing now (me included).

But in the US they are quite different and not used interchangeably. (Unlike in GB where most agents simply want a cover letter and don't muck around with queries.)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think most uk agents would thank you for a query, either.

There's quite a lot of difference between "describe your book in 3 sentences" and "250 word query letter" (putting aside ones who take both).

Assuming it wasn't contrary to what was specifically requested, I don't think a UK Agent would mind a query in the least, provided it flowed with brevity and clarity.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
yeah but at least a lot of the ones I tried querying often did have specifics. Not all. I can't remember who but there was one guy who explicity wanted 3 sentences or less because he wanted to know you could sum it up succintly.

anyways, we're niggling over tiny details!

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yeah but at least a lot of the ones I tried querying often did have specifics. Not all. I can't remember who but there was one guy who explicity wanted 3 sentences or less because he wanted to know you could sum it up succintly.

anyways, we're niggling over tiny details!

Yes, if you're using the royal 'we'. :Hug2:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
The last time I sent in a short story my letter contained the title, word count, and my list of previous commercially published works on a separate page. While I'm sort of known in one genre, I could not trust that anyone one in this other genre knew the name.

Having read the slush pile, I usually skipped reading cover/query and went straight to the submission. The most I did was to skim to see the word count and genre, then right to page one. If the writing did not grab me, no cover/query would help. I found many of them far too long. No need to fill the page, a single short paragraph is plenty. Agents get 100s of subs every week and haven't the time to savor every word. They want to see if you have something they can fall in love with and sell.

I see a query as being just the letter, no submission attached. "I have this gonzo novel, (title) that's 79K words complete. I've sold stories to _____ and am seeking representation. (Don't call it a "fiction novel!") Fans of (names of other authors in same genre) might enjoy this one."

Make sure the book IS in the right genre and is genuinely comparable to other books the agent has sold. Don't drop in the name of any old bestselling writer just-because. They are on to that one.

A cover letter (for me) is short and sweet: "Here is the requested (genre) title and first few chapters, per your reply on (date). I hope you like them and thank you for your time."

I leave out biographical info unless it has a bearing on the story. (I lived 5 years in Sri Lanka, the setting of the book.) No astrological signs, no pet pics, and NO glitter or confetti in snail mails.

Above all, no threats. I kid you not, some wanker told an editor/agent that if she didn't buy the story then SHE would suffer the same fate as the main character. The editor/agent said, "Bring it on, I'll introduce you to my Desert Eagle .50 caliber. BTW, you're story is rejected."

;) Gotta love this business!

Last edited:

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
If they know the difference, surely they care that you send the one they ask for.

Based on my experience (querying agents in the US, UK and Australia over many years), a brief query letter, short synopsis and sample is usually all that is required, whether or not they have specified a cover or query letter.

My theory is that most agents are human beings - I have my doubts about some I have encountered - and process information just like the rest of us and don't get hung up on minor detail. The letter (cover or query or intro or whatever anyone wants to call it) will hopefully make them interested enough to read your writing.

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
This is interesting. I've noticed many UK agents ask for a few lines or a small number of paragraphs about the book in the cover letter. Yet the queries I see being posted for critique are usually much longer. I'm in the UK so I suppose need to aim for short and concise.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
This is interesting. I've noticed many UK agents ask for a few lines or a small number of paragraphs about the book in the cover letter. Yet the queries I see being posted for critique are usually much longer. I'm in the UK so I suppose need to aim for short and concise.

Cover letters are about 65 words (ish) and query letters around 250, usually. Some variation.

If you can follow the guidelines, it's better to imo. Just polite and professional to do as asked.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score

It depends whether you are querying US or UK agents. You are probably seeing queries for US agents as they are a much bigger deal than the covering letter you would send to a UK agent. This site http://queryshark.blogspot.co.uk/ is great for dissecting queries for US agents.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
65 words seems really short. I'm about to start subbing to UK agents with a covering email and, given the guidelines on agents websites I've seen so far, I was planning on three short paragraphs. One on the book, one on me and one on why I had chosen to sub to that particular agent. Am I wrong? Should I be cutting this down to a single, brief para?

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
65 words seems really short. I'm about to start subbing to UK agents with a covering email and, given the guidelines on agents websites I've seen so far, I was planning on three short paragraphs. One on the book, one on me and one on why I had chosen to sub to that particular agent. Am I wrong? Should I be cutting this down to a single, brief para?
I would say that sounds perfect.

Most UK writers are going to learn how to write queries online, and a lot of the tips and how-tos they read are going to be from the US. I would assume that for the past however-many-years UK agents are VERY used to getting queries/cover letters of either style. I doubt it bothers them in the slightest.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would say that sounds perfect.

Most UK writers are going to learn how to write queries online, and a lot of the tips and how-tos they read are going to be from the US. I would assume that for the past however-many-years UK agents are VERY used to getting queries/cover letters of either style. I doubt it bothers them in the slightest.

If it's in accordance with requested submission details, is relevant, interesting, and has brevity, clarity, and flow, I reckon whatever covering or other-type letter is sent will be read.

Hope so. :snoopy:

Last edited: