expanding a story from within

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm in touch with an agent who liked my short story collection and asked me to send her a novel of at least 60,000 words so that she can have something more marketable to pair it with. I tend to write shorter fiction, but I'm almost done with the first draft of a long novella (on pace to be around 45,000 words) that I can envision expanding. Does anyone have advice for how to comb through a shorter work and find windows to open? I'm excited about this! Novels trip me up, but I think I can do it.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi flowerburgers!

I just thought I'd chime in! : D

So, I'm just an amateur, but I think if you look at the portions of your story that you really like then you can consider expanding them. Additionally, perhaps you can link them together to form a bigger cohesive plot. Another idea is to find the less developed portions of your stories and add the meat to the grinder, if you know what I mean! Yet another idea is to take another full idea, separate from your story, and try to combine it with the one that you have in order to spruce up the meadow and then open more windows and avenues for you to explore.

These are just some ideas. I hope more people will post about this soon to give you some more input. I'm sure there are many ways to do this.

Hopefully, this sparks an idea or something for you.

Cheers!

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a secondary character whose role can be expanded via a subplot that complements the main plot?

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
If you're talking about adding at least another 50% of the existing wordcount, it needs to be something substantial rather than just 'beefing up' existing parts. I'd look at introducing another complication to the existing plot, as you've not really got room for a brand new fully developed subplot.

What can you do in the middle of your story to put your main character even further away from where they're trying to get to? Whatever it is they want in the story, make it harder to achieve.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I was recently reading about George Eliot’s Middlemarch that it started its life as two separate books, one about the townspeople of Middlemarch and another about the folks in the countryside. Eliot couldn’t figure out what to do with either book until she hit upon the idea of knitting them together. The result is a book with a handful of separate storylines that touch each other mostly incidentally and thematically, but nevertheless form a coherent whole.

The novel I am working on has a similar (though less sweeping) structure. The two main characters know each other and have some history; they have a few important scenes together; but mostly their stories are separate, parallel, and complementary, united by the book’s theme.

So, while I’ve never been in the position you’re in, I think you can look around to other stories for inspiration. Is there another story you want to tell that is thematically related? Maybe you can develop another character, connect her to your existing characters in various ways, and weave her complementary story through your existing storyline.

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for these ideas, guys! At present, I'm weaving in some flashbacks that I think will work well to develop the character's current motivations--things that wouldn't be fleshed out so much in a novella--and I also came up with an idea for a new chapter to bridge a time jump and allow some summary to turn into scene. Since this isn't yet done, I want to also focus on finishing the last two chapters to just see how long the first draft turns out to be. I'm thinking, with the additions I have in mind, that it will at least reach 50,000 words, and I do have an idea for an additional complication, something I was toying around with but scrapped when I still saw this as a shorter work. I so appreciate your responses! Good advice from everyone.

AwP_writer

Registered
Reaction score
Another option, if you feel your novella is already in a well edited form, is to basically write a novella length sequel and roll it up into one volume.