Rainbow Romance Writers Banner Covered at RT Booklovers!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The resort is claiming it's a "family-oriented business" and the more egregious BDSM elements are covered on the cling and it has nothing to do with LGBT content. Except there's abundant evidence other clings and posters aren't receiving the same treatment. I directly challenged them on the Facebook post about it, asking point blank if they were going to do the same for the het material.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I followed the first link, there was one of the images, both the covered up and original version. Apparently they were hung up on one guy being held in bondage, white ropes and fancy knots. The censoring has to be because it was two guys, no women, on the cover, because this is Reno: there are probably show-girls wearing about the same amount of covering, and getting paid for it, not censored. And they're probably considered 'family-friendly' unless the kids are drinking or betting.

I hope that the RT Convention has told the Peppermill that they will not be back, the reviews will be bad, and then goes to the Reno Chamber of Commerce and suggests that the Convention, and all its members, could certainly find a better, more accommodating facility in some other city.

I could see the problem if this was Salt Lake City, or, I dunno, Boston, but Reno?

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The resort has apologized and is reprinting the banner in question.

Also, the affected authors will be receiving refunds from Rainbow Romance Writers.

Okay, I followed the first link, there was one of the images, both the covered up and original version. Apparently they were hung up on one guy being held in bondage, white ropes and fancy knots. The censoring has to be because it was two guys, no women, on the cover, because this is Reno: there are probably show-girls wearing about the same amount of covering, and getting paid for it, not censored. And they're probably considered 'family-friendly' unless the kids are drinking or betting.

I hope that the RT Convention has told the Peppermill that they will not be back, the reviews will be bad, and then goes to the Reno Chamber of Commerce and suggests that the Convention, and all its members, could certainly find a better, more accommodating facility in some other city.

I could see the problem if this was Salt Lake City, or, I dunno, Boston, but Reno?

It rotates to a different city each year so there's a very good chance that if it's in Reno again, it'll be at a different location. They try to leave a seven- to ten-year gap between returning to a city.

Last edited:

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd originally misinterpreted it that they'd be reprinting it in the censored format. I hope I've clarified myself.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
And the hotel did reprint and replace the cling with an uncensored one. I saw it this morning about 9:30 on my way to breakfast.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Is RT taking any responsibility here? I can't help thinking that they should have discussed with the venue the fact that romance novel covers run the gamut from mild to scorching, and that there was likely to be a generous sampling of all of those covers on plain view during the course of the convention.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Is RT taking any responsibility here? I can't help thinking that they should have discussed with the venue the fact that romance novel covers run the gamut from mild to scorching, and that there was likely to be a generous sampling of all of those covers on plain view during the course of the convention.

No, they really haven't been involved at all, which is eh, but also with RT ending (they announced that after this con, RT is no more, including the magazine), I'm not entirely surprised.

The hotel has been very responsive, though, and reached out to the authors affected. I think everything has been resolved to the satisfaction of the affected parties.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What?

That's ridiculous. What a silly idea to censor something like this. It's completely harmless!

Pft. Go figure.