• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

If you don't use it, you lose it

Status
Not open for further replies.

SepiaAndDust

Banned
Reaction score
(Apologies if this is the wrong forum. I didn't see a better fit.)

I forgot the difference between loath and loathe. I never use either of them, so I had to look it up while editing somebody else's manuscript. I found an article by Benjamin Dreyer, the copy chief over at Random House.

I used to follow Dreyer's articles as well as I could, but I've left off. This is a sample of his work and is the very article that helped me with my loath / loathe problem.

Reading through it, I found a few other things I'd forgotten through disuse. That there is such a word as premiere, for example. Or that vice and vise are different things. I use them verbally, of course, but I never seem to write any of those words down.

I disagree with a few of his opinions, but I understand his prescriptivist bent. You can't edit books all willy-nilly, after all. And he is fair enough to admit defeat when the time comes.

Dreyer has a new book coming out, Dreyer's English: An Utterly Correct Guide to Clarity and Style, which could only be helpful. Hardback runs about 20 bucks.

If I do order it, I hope he covers alright and all right, though I think I can guess which way he'll lean on that.

ReadWriteRachel

Probably drinking coffee.
Registered
Reaction score
If I do order it, I hope he covers alright and all right, though I think I can guess which way he'll lean on that.

"Alright" is never all right! ;)

I do think it's interesting that there are so many examples of this. Further and farther are ones that I always get mixed up -- it took a professor coming down hard on me to really get me to pay attention to that. Another irritating thing when writing is words that are one letter different, so Word never catches them as misspellings and I only find them much later with a fine-toothed comb. That/than and this/his are two of the most common ones for me.

SepiaAndDust

Banned
Reaction score
"Alright" is never all right! ;)

Them's fightin' words!

I do think it's interesting that there are so many examples of this. Further and farther are ones that I always get mixed up -- it took a professor coming down hard on me to really get me to pay attention to that.

That's a battle that I've given up on. Technically, they're the same word, but the separate usage has become so ingrained that I now just consider it a case of language drift.

Another irritating thing when writing is words that are one letter different, so Word never catches them as misspellings and I only find them much later with a fine-toothed comb. That/than and this/his are two of the most common ones for me.

Agreed! His / Is gets me most often.

Status
Not open for further replies.