Where to get books for Kindle apart from Amazon?

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure there are already threads on this but searching for combinations of Kindle / Amazon brings up so many threads I can't find them!

I want to buy a ton of books for my upcoming holiday, and I need to be able to read them on my Kindle. However, I'm trying not to buy books from Amazon if I can help it (I will replace my Kindle with a non-Amazon eReader when it breaks). What other sites can I get a good range of books compatible with Kindle? I can convert files using Calibre if needed.

I tried Google Play. Buying was a nightmare from start to finish, and then I discovered the files are DRM protected and can't be put on Kindle without jumping through loads of hoops. No go.

I know of Smashwords but that seems to be mostly for self-published books and maybe small presses?

Bookstrand is the only place I've bought .MOBIs, but I want books in other genres, too.

Apart from that I found a load of links for sites with free eBooks, but though I wouldn't mind a few out-of-copyright classics I want recent releases as well.

Help? :)

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Try your local library; look for Overdrive access.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Try bookviewcafe.com if you are looking for science fiction or fantasy or other genre fiction. Both epub and mobi formats are offered for all books, and there's no DRM. (Full disclosure -- I'm a member.)

Perfect! I am looking for genre fiction (as well as non-fiction).

Try your local library; look for Overdrive access.

Nowhere offers this near me, unfortunately. :(

RobertLCollins

Registered
Reaction score
Smashwords is good for self-published and small-press ebooks. If you didn't explore SW, then you might have have noticed that you can get Kindle files there. SW offers ebooks in several file formats, including .MOBI and .EPUB. As far as public-domain classics go, I usually start with Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page. Ebooks there are mainly .EPUB and PDF, I think.