I've got a question about vocab

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My brother-in-law's brother taught his son to call his penis a tally-ho. It was pretty cute, until a local bar with that name opened up, advertised a lot, had a big flashing sign, and all that. The kid didn't get why they'd name it that.

Maryn, aware that kid is now in his forties

NadiaBlair

Registered
Reaction score
I've encountered "yoni" thanks to a wannabe hippie ex-boyfriend. But I would never use it in a love/ intimate scene, unless I was writing tantric stuff. And even then, I'd probably have a beta reader tell me if it works or if it's a throw-the-Kindle-at-the-wall moment.

I think one of the worst euphemisms I ever encountered was "manroot." How's that for cringey?

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
In point of fact, all euphemisms are only as good as their establishment. The standard set only work because we are all already familiar with them and rooted in their use. We could just as easily swap out wand and willow, but that would require that we have established the words in context of the story. For short stories there isn't enough room to learn new language. For sex scenes, rather than long form erotica, you need to be able to establish meaning across the body of work. That's why most of us just stick to the tools we were given.