Vampire POV

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started the second entry in my fantasy/Lovecraftian/Gothic mashup series. It opens with a previously established character awakening after being forcibly turned into a vampire. And I'm very much playing vampirism as a horrible fate, rather than anything romantic.

Is anyone interested in giving their thoughts on the awakening scene itself? It's about 2000 words.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started the second entry in my fantasy/Lovecraftian/Gothic mashup series. It opens with a previously established character awakening after being forcibly turned into a vampire. And I'm very much playing vampirism as a horrible fate, rather than anything romantic.

Is anyone interested in giving their thoughts on the awakening scene itself? It's about 2000 words.

I've been thinking about your question all evening, so here goes with just a few of my thoughts. It seems to me your character's experiences on awakening as a vampire would depend on the physiology of vampires as you've created them. So, a few questions:

• What would be the process for eliminating existing digestive matter (to prevent putrefaction)? Would it be gross? Possibly painful?
  • To what degree are senses heightened? Could these new sensitivities initially be painful, or a source of wonder? (Sensitivity to light or a different perception of the light spectrum; sensitivity of nerve endings; a cacophony of sound to more sensitive hearing, for instance.)
  • How weak is your "baby" vampire prior to his initial feeding? Will this affect his initial bloodlust? What would that hunger feel like?
Emotionally, a vampire who has been turned unwillingly might possibly feel regret, anger, and possibly a desire for vengeance for the loss of his old life. Or, not. Depends on what your character's life was like.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Are you asking for comments on the writing itself? ‘Cos that sounds interesting.

(I’ve been writing up some vampire stuff which is frankly game background fanfic, which means I’m basically limited by the game rules. I’ve been having fun with things the rule writers didn’t cover, disregarded, or handwaved away without considering the consequences. The way I’ve been treating vampirism is not romantic but more like a deeply unpleasant chronic condition that needs to be managed while the vampire gets on with doing things.)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Yes. I'm asking if someone wants to take a look at the text. Wasn't I clear enough?

I’m sorry. I’m just finishing up a project and my thoughts are a little scrambled. Were you planning on posting in Share Your Work?

I mean, I’d be happy to look at it but I am a total amateur and, like I said, a little scrambled at the moment.